Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
I will have to watch. Kyle has a great EV perspective and I like his review style. He had many unpleasant things to say about the Plaid, with the exception of the speed.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Will be interesting to see how things go for Lucid over the next year. New car company growing pains are certainly going to pop up.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I'm still surprised at the overall 'Toyota Camry' look of the Mercedes EQS exterior. It just kind of baffles me on their design engineering for it. It doesn't fit the brand at all in my opinion.
They were looking to maximize efficiency for the sake of range. It is great how Porsche managed to get .22 cd and have fantastic exterior aesthetics.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tend to agree with Kyle's take on the appearance of the Lucid Air. When I first saw the release, I joked with a friend that works at Tesla that sent it to me and told him it looks like a Buick. Kyle's take on it seems to suggest I wasn't completely out of line. I really like his reviews. Super balanced, fair approach, no punches pulled on issues. Thanks for the share!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Sounds like the discussions on this forum.
I think each car has it's strengths and weaknesses. the taycan is the most unlike the other 3.
the other 3 are more GT sedans while the taycan is a sports car.
the tesla is the one that will be hurt the most if the lucid gains market share while the MB should be a step ahead of lucid because of the MB pedigree

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tend to agree. There is a certain exhaustion with Tesla. So Lucid at the high price point may be more attractive for folks who love tech.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think each car has it's strengths and weaknesses. the taycan is the most unlike the other 3.
the other 3 are more GT sedans while the taycan is a sports car.
the tesla is the one that will be hurt the most if the lucid gains market share while the MB should be a step ahead of lucid because of the MB pedigree
Agreed that the Taycan is least like the others, but disagree that it's a sports car.

Taycan - Sporty GT
Merc / Lucid - Luxury Sedan
Tesla - Luxury Sedan with sporting pretentions.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
He had many unpleasant things to say about the Plaid, with the exception of the speed.
I watched that review now, and there is no way that the Plaid they drove around the 'ring was in the same configuration as Kyle's test car. At a minimum, it was in some special track mode that disabled stability control.

Honestly, even though it would be kind of sleazy to have a special track mode that only turns on at certain GPS locations (like the 'ring) and can't be enabled manually, I wouldn't be mad about it. On a car like that, with that much power... if you let people turn off stability control completely, we'd have a new contender for the "Widowmaker" nickname.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I tend to agree. There is a certain exhaustion with Tesla. So Lucid at the high price point may be more attractive for folks who love tech.
despite the upgrades with the plaid version the car's look is over 9 years old, other than the nose cone change 6 years ago the body is the same as it was in '12 when it first came out.
the models 3 and Y are their money makers, I am surprised that they are not eliminating the S and X cars

Last edited:

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I watched that review now, and there is no way that the Plaid they drove around the 'ring was in the same configuration as Kyle's test car. At a minimum, it was in some special track mode that disabled stability control.

Honestly, even though it would be kind of sleazy to have a special track mode that only turns on at certain GPS locations (like the 'ring) and can't be enabled manually, I wouldn't be mad about it. On a car like that, with that much power... if you let people turn off stability control completely, we'd have a new contender for the "Widowmaker" nickname.
I think even without it, we are going to see a lot of fun Youtube videos of people wrecking their Plaid. There's already several good Tesla and EV videos (Porsche included) of people not knowing how to handle the instant power.

I feel like we are at the point where we should be asking if all this power is good, and how much is too much before it becomes unsafe or if we are already there. It reminds me of Jurassic Park when Jeff Goldblum basically says all the "Scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they did not stop to think if they should."

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I defer to styling until I see the Air or the EQ-S in person but certainly they are off to a poor start based on photos / videos. Sometimes style is worth a little range hit.

The EQS is especially disturbing given the minivan-like window just behind the a-pillar and SUPER tall hood. Yuck.

Porsche Taycan Lucid vs Plaid vs EQS vs Taycan by Out of Spec Reviews 99-mercedes-eqs-official-reveal-images-hero

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I tend to agree with Kyle's take on the appearance of the Lucid Air. When I first saw the release, I joked with a friend that works at Tesla that sent it to me and told him it looks like a Buick. Kyle's take on it seems to suggest I wasn't completely out of line. I really like his reviews. Super balanced, fair approach, no punches pulled on issues. Thanks for the share!
I too respect Kyle's analyses. He is from the industry, quickly cuts through BS, and, has the good sense (per last week's InsideEV's podcast) to have a Porsche Taycan on order.
Sponsored