Managing Apple Music in PCM - resume, add to queue?

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
If I search for an album in Apple Music, I can certainly tell the system to play it by tapping it.

If, however, I then exit the vehicle, turn it off and come back later, it doesn't remember that's what I was playing, and resets to a default (which is somehow the first thing I played on the Taycan).

Am I missing a feature or setting somewhere?

Also, I can't figure out how to, say, add something to play after the tracks that are playing now - it always just switches to whatever I selected.

The car videos show a playlist in the "Porsche" section that suggests there's an accessible queue, but that entry isn't in my Porsche section.

Anyone figure this out?
Sponsored

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,2020 Taycan rurbo, 2018 GT3 1997 911 C4S, 1996 911 TT, 2008 911 GT2,1989 Speedster, 1994 3.6
Country flag
If I search for an album in Apple Music, I can certainly tell the system to play it by tapping it.

If, however, I then exit the vehicle, turn it off and come back later, it doesn't remember that's what I was playing, and resets to a default (which is somehow the first thing I played on the Taycan).

Am I missing a feature or setting somewhere?

Also, I can't figure out how to, say, add something to play after the tracks that are playing now - it always just switches to whatever I selected.

The car videos show a playlist in the "Porsche" section that suggests there's an accessible queue, but that entry isn't in my Porsche section.

Anyone figure this out?
I have the same issue after I create a play list. There has to be an option to name and store it I will keep you posted. TD

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the same issue after I create a play list. There has to be an option to name and store it I will keep you posted. TD
So, you've created a playlist and have added albums to it and can then play it, in Apple Music in the car? (It's a super terrible UI.)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
It sounds like you want to access the playlist outside of CarPlay. Unfortunately, my experience in other vehicles leads me to believe that what you want to do only works if you access your playlist in CarPlay.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It sounds like you want to access the playlist outside of CarPlay. Unfortunately, my experience in other vehicles leads me to believe that what you want to do only works if you access your playlist in CarPlay.
Given the native CarPlay app, which doesn't require the phone at all, I just want to queue up a few albums, tracks or whatever from inside the car.

And I want it to remember what I've got queued up, and resume it when I re-enter the car.

Shouldn't be complex... :)

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,2020 Taycan rurbo, 2018 GT3 1997 911 C4S, 1996 911 TT, 2008 911 GT2,1989 Speedster, 1994 3.6
Country flag
Given the native CarPlay app, which doesn't require the phone at all, I just want to queue up a few albums, tracks or whatever from inside the car.

And I want it to remember what I've got queued up, and resume it when I re-enter the car.

Shouldn't be complex... :)
Today a playlist I created popped up in the list so it must store the playlists.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Are you sure it does not need your phone for connection/? MY Apple Music icon appears after few second of driving, and usually there is a brief message that my phone was connected. I assumed the access to Apple Music is through the phone rather than the car accessing the server

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a remarkably elementary question... how did you even get Apple Music to work?

I paired an account via Connect and the PCM changed from "pair an account" to "select a song from the list" but there is no music showing. If I open Music on my phone I have playlists and music. It's like despite being linked, the native interface on the car is totally oblivious.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a remarkably elementary question... how did you even get Apple Music to work?
Have you tried searching for an album or song in the interface (or asked "Hey Porsche, play <xxx> by <yyy>")?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

I paired an account via Connect and the PCM changed from "pair an account" to "select a song from the list" but there is no music showing. If I open Music on my phone I have playlists and music. It's like despite being linked, the native interface on the car is totally oblivious.
When you have tried to play some music, does the car have LTE coverage and a good signal? I agree that it is not every time that I can get it to work. I got it to work today, kind of? It had strong signal to an LTE connection and it showed my lists. And according to the display it played the tune, but no music came out through the speaker! The volume adjustment did not do anything. After a brief stop and locking, unlocking the car, it started playing correctly.

It is not a stable system and starts back from the start every time you come back to the vehicle. But that maybe a feature of Apple rather than the car. I think my phone does the same once I have stopped Playing the songs and shut down my phone?

I have not found a way to get my playlist to play in random order either?

I also found that my phone seems to buffer more of the music stream and plays without breaking up. The car can loose the connection and the music stops playing. I have tested this several times on my normal driving route and there can be some coverage problems with the cellular network.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A couple of tips I’ve found with Apple Music app:
  1. After you link your accounts and start the embedded Apple Music app for the first time, it will take some time for your playlists, albums, etc., to sync to the car. It’s only syncing the lists, the actual music streams over the car’s LTE connection
  2. Your playlists and curated Apple-generated playlists (New Music Mix, for instance, is delivered on Fridays and will be available in the embedded app) will sync and will be available
  3. As with the other Media options, after you’ve launched the embedded Apple Music app, you need to use the Lists tab on the UI to access your playlists and albums
I’ve actually been pretty happy with it — I’m a heavy Apple Music user and the app has worked quite well for me. I’ve been dropping my phone into the Qi charging cradle, connecting via Bluetooth, and using more of the built-in navigation system than I thought I would (mainly for integration with Range Mode). Additionally, if you use the MyScreen option on the PCM, I customized mine to have Drive Mode, Media, and Navigation as the three tiles - when using CarPlay for music, the Media tile won’t display any album/song info, it just says “Open in CarPlay”, so I like using that view at a glance while on the highway.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the Media tile won’t display any album/song info
I've found that particular tile to be weird, especially since the media setting in the rightmost gauge will show the info.

It's certainly nice to have the Apple Music integration. I just wish I could do more from its UI (specifically, add to "Up Next").

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've found that particular tile to be weird, especially since the media setting in the rightmost gauge will show the info.

It's certainly nice to have the Apple Music integration. I just wish I could do more from its UI (specifically, add to "Up Next").
Ooohhh...good tip. I’ll try that config with CarPlay.
Sponsored