AJDiBianca

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne, Taycan 4S
Country flag
After removing my garage charge cable from my 4S, I am unable to fully close the (manual) door. It feels as if the latch lock mechanism is locked and prohibits the locking tab from being inserted, resulting in the door closing all but ~1/2".

Dealer says bring it by and they'll look for an issue or order parts. Seems like a logic issue - car thinks manual charging cover is supposed to be locked even though it is not closed.

And yes, I tried locking and unlocking the car. Even started, locked, unlocked, re-locked. Anyone seen this before or got any ideas?

Porsche Taycan Manual Charging Door Cannot Be Fully Closed - Latch Inoperable IMG-1183

Porsche Taycan Manual Charging Door Cannot Be Fully Closed - Latch Inoperable IMG-1185

Porsche Taycan Manual Charging Door Cannot Be Fully Closed - Latch Inoperable IMG-1184

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Most odd. Not sure if this is a good idea but have you tried inserting a pen / pencil / something suitable into the latching socket and see if it releases the spring?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I don’t have my Taycan yet, but I‘ve seen something similar with other EVs. Does the Taycan with a manual door have a charge port unlock button (separate from the car lock/unlock)? Maybe try that. Edit: Maybe also try plugging in, then unlocking and pulling the cable out. That might get state of the door “sync’d”.

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@AJDiBianca you know the car has a sophisticated interlock that prevents one charging door from being opened when the other door is opened. I'm assuming that this door is not closing because it thinks it's holding it locked while the other door it believes is open. Can you examine that door carefully and verify that when you close it you hear the clunk noise which is normally what I hear when it unlocks the other door.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I don’t have my Taycan yet, but I‘ve seen something similar with other EVs. Does the Taycan with a manual door have a charge port unlock button (separate from the car lock/unlock)? Maybe try that. Edit: Maybe also try plugging in, then unlocking and pulling the cable out. That might get state of the door “sync’d”.
@AJDiBianca you know the car has a sophisticated interlock that prevents one charging door from being opened when the other door is opened. I'm assuming that this door is not closing because it thinks it's holding it locked while the other door it believes is open. Can you examine that door carefully and verify that when you close it you hear the clunk noise which is normally what I hear when it unlocks the other door.
I would definitely try these....I think it's very possible that the locking feature for the flap has gotten out of sync somehow either with the other charging flap or with the removal of the charging cable.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Should have ordered the electronic charge port - then you would at least know what was the root cause...

OP
OP
AJDiBianca

AJDiBianca

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the ideas...

1) Pin receptor is not "easily" persuaded with a small screwdriver

2) The release button (inside charging port) normally unlocks the charging plug when depressed, but not sure how it is connected to the charging door latch(es). And yes, I have reconnected charger, let it start charging, and pressed release button to no avail.

3) Opposite (driver) side port cover is securely latched and will not open in normal fashion, which I believe is by design when the car thinks the passenger side charging door is open.

4) I'm sure a powered charging door would be "much simpler" and "less prone to failure" than a simple press and open door like the ones found on 99.99999% of all other cars - including Porsche - LOL!

Anyone else had this issue?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the ideas...

1) Pin receptor is not "easily" persuaded with a small screwdriver

2) The release button (inside charging port) normally unlocks the charging plug when depressed, but not sure how it is connected to the charging door latch(es). And yes, I have reconnected charger, let it start charging, and pressed release button to no avail.

3) Opposite (driver) side port cover is securely latched and will not open in normal fashion, which I believe is by design when the car thinks the passenger side charging door is open.

4) I'm sure a powered charging door would be "much simpler" and "less prone to failure" than a simple press and open door like the ones found on 99.99999% of all other cars - including Porsche - LOL!

Anyone else had this issue?
Electric doors aren't reliable. Mine failed after 3 months along with the charging port.

Only one door can be opened at a time as you mentioned.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tony, that's obvious not going to work without faking out the passenger side. I'm sorry I mentioned it.
I tried to fake-out my passenger door to think it was closed while it was still open. I was successful and made the following video. You can see if this may work for you. note after pushing the screwdriver in about three quarters of an inch the light goes out and that is simultaneous with the click of the other side unlatching.

Porsche Taycan Charging Port Lockout Workaround
Ron B

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Electric doors aren't reliable. Mine failed after 3 months along with the charging port.

Only one door can be opened at a time as you mentioned.
Mine works perfectly fine so electric doors are pretty reliable, just like manual doors.
Because very few cars have issues doesn't mean they are not reliable.
I'm sorry yours are.
Remember that problems appear on internet but after 25.000 Taycans sold it's (still) just a rarity and can easily be fixed.

OP
OP
AJDiBianca

AJDiBianca

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for the FAST feedback and ideas.
Here's the answer.

It's not an electrical or software issue. It's a mechanical failure. more specifically...

The dealer took it into the shop and returned saying the plastic latching pin was bent. They say they bent it back and ordered a new door (the e black part - white body panel transfers) since the pin cannot be replaced without replacing the entire door (really Porsche?)

How did it get bent?

Well, I'm the only one that charges the car, so I must have done it, BUT if I did, any contact was incidental. Maybe the charging cable grazed it when I connected or disconnected the charger and I didn't notice? If so, it's disappointing that you can break the latch without even being aware there is contact.

To me, the pin looks the same in the "after repair" picture (below) as it did in the "before repair" pic (above.) When I peel back the rubber sheathing, it's just a long, thin plastic pin. IMHO if it's prone to getting bent with minor contact, the design should be upgraded.

Guess the lesson is to be EXTRA CAREFUL when connecting the charging cable to not touch the charging door pin... UGH.

Porsche Taycan Manual Charging Door Cannot Be Fully Closed - Latch Inoperable IMG-1223

Porsche Taycan Manual Charging Door Cannot Be Fully Closed - Latch Inoperable IMG-1222

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Could well be that the pin is a separate piece but doesn't have a individual part number.
A lot of parts come from other automotive manufacturers so the whole part including the pin has it's own number.
Could be a faulty piece or batch.
First time I see this and I can't imagining you have to be very careful cuz these things are tested.
We'll never know I guess.

drewbam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW, I found out the hard way just how poorly attached these pins are today when my 2 year old pulled the rubber boot and pin completely off my car. It took me 10 minutes of fumbling to figure out the the boot is basically all that keeps the pins from falling off the charge port doors.
Sponsored