Map updates and traffic.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Any idea how the map updates work? Are they done live like Apple, Google, and Bing maps, or do we need to install updates via OTA? God I hope not. I do not miss pirating Audis maps because they wanted your first-born son for a copy. Not that this would be the same, but... two steps forward, one step back.

Where do we get traffic status on the map from?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The car will download the maps in the background and will notify you when the updates are installed. Have not found any other way. As long as you have the Connect feature you are ok! And that is FOC for the first 3 years!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
The car will download the maps in the background and will notify you when the updates are installed. Have not found any other way. As long as you have the Connect feature you are ok! And that is FOC for the first 3 years!
Yup, every once in while you will get a "Map Updated" message in the display... This comes in over the car's LTE (4G) Internet connection (even in the USA!).

OP
OP
Oink

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Good to know! Now to figure out who gives traffic updates to the map. Guess I could check to see if Google is credited somewhere. Don't know who else does traffic.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Good to know! Now to figure out who gives traffic updates to the map. Guess I could check to see if Google is credited somewhere. Don't know who else does traffic.
I don't know where they get the PCM Nav data from but I'm fairly certain they use Google Maps for the Nav Function in the Online Porche Nav Portal...

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
I don't know where they get the PCM Nav data from but I'm fairly certain they use Google Maps for the Nav Function in the Online Porche Nav Portal...
Yes I confirm that they use goggle map, also for the online search in the PCM (I've done some an update in my area on Google maps and as soon as they were published in Google map they were also available online in the PCM :D)

Last edited:

Wawando

First Name
Filipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Taycan CT on the way
Country flag
The map update has a side effect that I hate: it makes the PCM recalculate the route and looses previous charging plan!
Does anyone know how to prevent this?
When traveling in known roads/.charging stations it is ok but when doing big trips this really sucks.
Thank you!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
The map update has a side effect that I hate: it makes the PCM recalculate the route and looses previous charging plan!
Does anyone know how to prevent this?
When traveling in known roads/.charging stations it is ok but when doing big trips this really sucks.
Thank you!
I'm guessing by turning off automatic updates? If just for specific trips where you do not want interruptions - turn it back to auto to ensure on other occasions you car is fully updated in background.

Wawando

First Name
Filipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Taycan CT on the way
Country flag
I'm guessing by turning off automatic updates? If just for specific trips where you do not want interruptions - turn it back to auto to ensure on other occasions you car is fully updated in background.
Thank you! I will look for it for sure! In Spain the charging stations are in weird places and I like to investigate the surroundings.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
Yes I confirm that they use goggle map, also for the online search in the PCM (I've done some an update in my area on Google maps and as soon as they were published in Google map they were also available online in the PCM :D)
thanks. I'm uncomfortable to use pcm nav as it can't be used alongside google maps. Do you find it as decent as google maps in urban areas, offering alternative routes to avoid traffic and estimate time in queues?
Sponsored