Marks on brand new leather seat - it is normal?

DJM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo
Country flag
Would appreciate your advice before I next speak to the dealer. Went to have a look at my car before it was sent to have the PPF applied and notice some marks on the front seat. Is this normal and acceptable on a brand new car or should I ask for it to be addressed? I did point it out to the dealer who said it was normal in real leather, but I have not had this problem on any other car.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Porsche Taycan Marks on brand new leather seat - it is normal? leather
Sponsored

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Something heavy was sitting on the edge of that seat. Other people have unfortunately had this happen upon taking delivery. Either something heavy was set on it during the delivery trip, or someone set something on that side bolster. The dealer should be able to fix that, as it doesn't seem as terrible as some other issues I've seen. That isn't normal though. They should be able to heat that up a bit and fix it up nicely. It doesn't look like the bolster itself is creased like other pictures people have posted in the past that have been much worse. Hopefully they fix it up without any issues for you.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Something heavy was sitting on the edge of that seat. Other people have unfortunately had this happen upon taking delivery. Either something heavy was set on it during the delivery trip, or someone set something on that side bolster. The dealer should be able to fix that, as it doesn't seem as terrible as some other issues I've seen. That isn't normal though. They should be able to heat that up a bit and fix it up nicely. It doesn't look like the bolster itself is creased like other pictures people have posted in the past that have been much worse. Hopefully they fix it up without any issues for you.
Order some 3-1 Leather care from Griots, massage it in and wipe off excess, and then keep people off it for a day should disappear. This may happen from getting in and out of the car on the driver's seat bolster as well, the Griots does a good job of rehydrating and making the leather more inclined to go back to normal. Some upholstery shops use steam to smooth wrinkles out, but I've never done it that way.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
It’s common, nothing to do, just stop looking at it for few weeks and you should forget about it and try to enjoy the car for what it is. Unless you never drive it, imperfections will occur. :)

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I always make sure when I'm getting in/out that I lift myself over the bolsters rather than drag myself across them. It's just something I've always done with my cars. It's not the easiest maneuver in the Taycan though given how low it is and how the seats are situated. It definitely helps to extend the life of high bolster 'race' style seating in cars though (especially leather).

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I got the same problem after a while in my sports seats in Olea leather front. But it was not as you describe as new, where they were tight and stretched. I talked to my service center about it, and they suggested that I use skin care often. So I have, in addition to always having a little extra air on the sides to push out the marks. I have also avoided pushing down the pillows on my way in or out the vehicle. All together I manage to keep my leather seat almost like new. Leather can easily become dry, but with the right skin care treatment with lubrication you should also be able to fix this or at least make it look better than your picture showed. It worked out for me, so give it a try too. Good luck!

PS After the leather treatment and pushed up side cushions, It might take a few days before you notice any change ;)

Last edited:

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One more thing: With light colour like you have, it is also important to seal the leather to avoid seats getting dirty or tanned by jeans etc. Then it is also more easy to clean, and keep the leather in good condition. However leather seats do change over time when used, but I only think this kind of patina looks good though . . . if good taken care of.

On the Taycan Porsche have used genuine German quality leather ?

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
I think that break-in with leather is a natural thing. Same happens with jackets and shoes. just use some leather dedicated cosmetics to soften it so the marks are not so visible and deep.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In this pandemic, a lot of disinfection is used. So, by all means, do not use alcohol on either "vegan-letaher" or genuine leather. That will surely kill the top coating and damage the colouring ☠ Instead, use a type of disinfectant and/or type of remedy suitable for leather!

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think that break-in with leather is a natural thing. Same happens with jackets and shoes. just use some leather dedicated cosmetics to soften it so the marks are not so visible and deep.
I do agree! It’s just like men: We do not grow old. We just mature, like a good wine. Have I heard :muscle:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Would appreciate your advice before I next speak to the dealer. Went to have a look at my car before it was sent to have the PPF applied and notice some marks on the front seat. Is this normal and acceptable on a brand new car or should I ask for it to be addressed? I did point it out to the dealer who said it was normal in real leather, but I have not had this problem on any other car.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

leather.jpg
Sadly it's normal - high bolsters and the act of getting in and out. It would have happened anyway if that's any consolation.

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 4s (going); MY22 CT 4s (on order)
I had in an Audi SQ7, did my head in...I'd say get it fixed if you can, really regretting not asking them to fix it on mine

OP
OP

DJM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I know it will happen over time. - just annoyed that i haven't even driven it yet and it is already looking worn like this. I am usually very careful to keep it looking as good for as long as possible. I also have a good leather conditioner which it great at keeping it clean.

I'm going to speak to dealer again tomorrow and see what they say.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, there's a very extensive thread on this topic. I'd suggest continuing the discussion there so all the prior accumulated "wisdom of the crowd" is maintained.
Sponsored