First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Interesting review.

His efficiency numbers are hard to believe. I've put 560 miles on my Turbo S so far with an average efficiency of 361 watts / mile. My absolute worst single drive was 449 watts / mile. He claimed that he was seeing 400-500 watts /mile and occasionally 500-600 with hard driving. Doesn't make sense.

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
I've put 560 miles on my Turbo S so far with an average efficiency of 361 watts / mile.
I'm right there with you - just over 500 miles...357 watts /mi. No time in Range mode, majority of time in Sport.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Finally a 12.1M subscribers Youtuber review. ;)
Seriously, so many months ago I saw his interview with Bill Gates and asking him about getting an electric car which was the Taycan. Now a dealership let Marques borrow the car for a few weeks.

He's not ready to let go of Tesla Supercharging but clearly says (and had Tweeted) "
The Porsche Taycan is the best driving electric car.
"

Porsche Taycan Turbo: I Almost Switched! [Auto Focus Ep 6]
Marques Brownlee

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I have to say I was primed to completely reject the opinion of someone whose career is just "Youtuber" but it was a pretty decent review and nicely presented. With the range it does just seem like he can't have actually driven round that much.

What is maybe a bit odd is to decide that literally everything else about the Taycan is better than a Model S, but still prefer the Tesla.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have to say I was primed to completely reject the opinion of someone whose career is just "Youtuber" but it was a pretty decent review and nicely presented. With the range it does just seem like he can't have actually driven round that much.

What is maybe a bit odd is to decide that literally everything else about the Taycan is better than a Model S, but still prefer the Tesla.
He is known as a pretty serious Tesla supporter. He's not an irrational fanboy, but nonetheless a huge Tesla fan. So not that surprising.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
A great and reasonably objective review. I think that what he is saying is the same thing some others on this forum are saying when they express their frustrations with the Electrify America network. For people for whom this actually take this car on longer drives where the EA network is necessary/reassuring, it is a source of frustration and anxiety. It definitely is a demerit that detracts from the ownership experience. For those of us who own the Taycan, we are willing to/have no choice but to wait and hope that EA improves. For those who are considering it, there is no question that some will say that it is enough of a difference that they would prefer the Tesla, even with the list of disadvantages that it brings. Add to that you have to pay a significant premium, and you can at least understand that it would be a plausible conclusion for people who weigh the charging network heavily. I think that EA will eventually improve, and I don't really drive really long distances, so it is not as large an issue for me anyway. But others really need the reassurance of a reliable network.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you are seriously using availability of EA chargers as your discerning factor, I think you are missing the point of buying a Porsche. The choice should be between a Panamera/Cayenne (or other German luxury performance GT car or SUV) and the Taycan. If you need to road trip, take one of your other cars if you don't think the infrastructure is there for the Taycan.

Once the e-tron GT exists, I think we'll see less folks who are just after the Taycan because it's an EV that's not of questionable quality.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
All I know is that this weekend I did a trip in my 4S that was a little over 200 miles on 75 MPH highways. I started with 100% battery and returned with a little over 40% battery. That was mostly in Normal mode with a little on Sport Plus. By my math, I was seeing just under 350 miles range.

Was he towing something to get those kind of consumption numbers? :)

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
All I know is that this weekend I did a trip in my 4S that was a little over 200 miles on 75 MPH highways. I started with 100% battery and returned with a little over 40% battery. That was mostly in Normal mode with a little on Sport Plus. By my math, I was seeing just under 350 miles range.

He regularly gets his details wrong in his other tech videos. It’s par for the course with MKBHD.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
He regularly gets his details wrong in his other tech videos. It’s par for the course with MKBHD.
I think it's more likely he was driving in a very "spirited" manner, likely in Sport Plus most of the time. He wasn't trying to hypermile... he was driving it hard.

But - I haven't seen that kind of consumption either. Then again, I'm not trying to fill up two weeks with as much fast driving as I can....

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just had my dealer install window tint on my Taycan today. They gave me a Taycan Turbo loaner. It had 3800 miles on it and had an average overall efficiency of 356 watts / mile. That's pretty damn good for a loaner and car they use for Taycan test drives. That car has probably seen a lot of city driving and launch controls. Not what I would call efficient use.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag

You can get to his number with repeated launches and high speed highway travel, which is what I'd be doing if I were him. Doesn't mean it represents what any owner would get.

With respect to the final recommendation, just understand his position. He has millions of fans, many of whom became fans due to Tesla content. Even if he'd pick the Taycan, saying it on video simply isn't worth the headache and could cost him a lot of subs (such means money). So take that with a shaker of salt.

As someone who's definitely not a fan of Tesla quality from my limited experience with them, I will say that he has a real point in the SuperChargers. It's THE strongest case for Tesla by far. The user experience is fantastic. I'm getting a Taycan because I want an electric Porsche but I'm very anxious about EA and may not use them at all for at least the first year. The range is enough that I can just charge at home/take the wife's car on any long trips.

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag
I just had my dealer install window tint on my Taycan today. They gave me a Taycan Turbo loaner. It had 3800 miles on it and had an average overall efficiency of 356 watts / mile. That's pretty damn good for a loaner and car they use for Taycan test drives. That car has probably seen a lot of city driving and launch controls. Not what I would call efficient use.
Amazing ~ I wonder if your dealer only gives out Taycan loaners to Taycan owners :cool:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
As someone who's definitely not a fan of Tesla quality from my limited experience with them, I will say that he has a real point in the SuperChargers. It's THE strongest case for Tesla by far. The user experience is fantastic. I'm getting a Taycan because I want an electric Porsche but I'm very anxious about EA and may not use them at all for at least the first year. The range is enough that I can just charge at home/take the wife's car on any long trips.
But only for the US! In Europe the network is soon overtaking and here it is totally irrelevant. China accounts for almost 80 percent of all fast chargers in the world.

Nothing to be anxious about! Once you have it, you will drive it. Nothing comes even close to it!
Sponsored