Maserati Folgore

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Taycan will soon have some competition from Maserati; the gran Turismo Folgore with 1200bhp and a top speed in excess of 200mph. Doesn’t look half bad either…

Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Looks nice. It’s one to keep an eye on for sure.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Looks lovely.
Hopefully they won't use some super outdated infotainment unit...maybe...!

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I wonder why the Taycan’s top speed even in top trim does not exceed 270kmh, despite the 2 speed gearbox.

I know gearing and battery sustained output probably have something to do with it but the Maserati has similar 0-100kmh time (no word on awd), and they must have also a consideration for battery sustained output.

Not trying to argue on the merits of 300kmh, rather curious what engineering solution Maserati have found. So far only EVs from Rimac and Tesla Plaid S can achieve these speeds. And Porsche isn’t exactly an engineering lightweight.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I wonder why the Taycan’s top speed even in top trim does not exceed 270kmh, despite the 2 speed gearbox.

I know gearing and battery sustained output probably have something to do with it but the Maserati has similar 0-100kmh time (no word on awd), and they must have also a consideration for battery sustained output.

Not trying to argue on the merits of 300kmh, rather curious what engineering solution Maserati have found. So far only EVs from Rimac and Tesla Plaid S can achieve these speeds. And Porsche isn’t exactly an engineering lightweight.
My guess is that since Porsche certainly could if they wanted they considered it a pointless excercise given the other compromise needed to achieve a benchmark nobody will use in real world situations.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
My guess is that since Porsche certainly could if they wanted they considered it a pointless excercise given the other compromise needed to achieve a benchmark nobody will use in real world situations.
true, but read somewhere recently that Porsche customers actually valued Nurburgring lap times (okay maybe not the Macan customers, but generally speaking) and it is obvious that the TTS could have easily shaved a few more seconds had its speed not been limited to 270kmh

My CT4 tops out at 230kmh, but in Germany I will usually cruise at 180-200kmh, even with petrol powered cars. Going faster is just too taxing on consumption and my nerves for the repeated braking that's required when going 250kmh+. So don't really need anything faster than the CT4

Reactions: B61

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Current top speed maxes out motor rpm. They’d need different overall gearing (to increase max speed within motor limits) and more HP (to keep low end accel).

Or motor with proportionally higher max rpm.
curious what engineering solution Maserati have found.
One of the things listed above. Only so many ways to do this.

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Current top speed maxes out motor rpm. They’d need different overall gearing (to increase max speed within motor limits) and more HP (to keep low end accel).

Or motor with proportionally higher max rpm.

One of the things listed above. Only so many ways to do this.
You're probably right. I know the TTS can sit at 270kmh until its battery is drained. I wonder how long the Maserati can sustain 300kmh, and whether it will cut power (thus reducing speed) before the battery is drained. That would be another way to do this, which I think Porsche would never accept (they are all about repeatable and sustained performance)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
but read somewhere recently that Porsche customers actually valued Nurburgring lap times
It isn't rare for a car to be worse for its principle function in order for it to meet some marketing benchmark.
Sad, IMO, but not rare!

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
nice! when new ... I'll not even try to compare reliability of ICE "Porsche vs Mas" so I ll bet that it will drive nicely for the first ...what .... 4 000 Km then the collapse :giggle:

I mean...look at this forum - Taycan have some issues ... I guess normal... so just imagine what kind of problems you would have with a EV mas !!!

But look is great ... can't take that out

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Appels to oranges.....

Reactions: B61

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry guys but this is subpar. Looks like
Maserati still wants to stay stagnant with things and safe styling wise. Looks like they just packaged the gran turismo design and slapped some electric into it. I bet the infotainment system will be dated straight out the box too.

I thought they would hit it out the park like how they did with the MC20. Now that they killed it on with the styling etc
Sponsored