Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW?

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I use today 3 x 16AMP 220V in Sweden for my Panamera E-hybrid and it will deliver 11Kw with my Taycan.. My Panamera uses only 2 x 16AMP 220v 7.2Kw it takes below 2 hour for a full charge now.. I think the Taycan will take 8-9 Hour for a full charge..
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
My suspicion for the setups that your electrician has installed for Teslas is the Wall Connector, which is a permanently installed EVSE. For that, you do see lots of people installing on 100 amp circuits, since the minimum required circuit is 60 amps to get the maximum output. There is no outlet, which is mostly what people have been talking about to date; I do not know of a solution that would allow that kind of output that relies on an outlet (seems risky). The Wall Connector, when operating at its maximum output, will deliver 11.5 kW.
Here in Europe you can often have a three phase supply to you house. I have three phase Tesla WallConnector installed with 3 times 32 amp. I think that can charge at 22 kW maximum. But model3 can only charge at 11 kW while ModelS can charge at 22 kW. The supply cable from the panel to the WallConnector is substantial though and not the easiest or cheapest to install either.

Would be nice if Taycan can have 22 kW for emergency road trip charging when there is no DC charger around, but 11 kW is plenty for overnight charging. I would think that 9.6 kW will be sufficient for overnight charging as well.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yep, it will be.
Sure. But if the car is capable of charging at 11kw, that's what I'd want to do. I would never be unhappy that the car was charging too quickly as long as it didn't damage the batteries. But if I understand what's been said here correctly, the 11kw speed is not available in the US. Not sure why they would make it that way if the car charger can take 11kw and it's possible to run enough power to do 11kw.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
But if I understand what's been said here correctly, the 11kw speed is not available in the US. Not sure why they would make it that way if the car charger can take 11kw and it's possible to run enough power to do 11kw.
I believe it has something to do with the US being single phase, and other countries having a 3-phase backbone. Someone with more expertise than I could probably break it down.

If I plug in when I get home and she's full when I need to leave in the morning... I'm happy. :)

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My electrician just came over to discuss how to set up charging. After talking to him, I still have more questions than answers.

What he proposed is to run wiring capable of 80 amps (6 gauge wire), and connect it to a 50 amp breaker on the panel. This would future proof me should the car be able to accept more charging power, or if I got another car in the future. Some of you above have been saying that it would be significantly cheaper to just run 50 amp wiring. He said that wasn't true, he could set me up for 80 amps just as easily. Does this make sense?

If so, I think I'll opt for the faster charging setup above (Clipper Creek HCS-60). Any reason not to do that except for expense?

As I said above, he said all the car charging setups he's done were 100 amps...

Amusingly, he calls the thing that we're not supposed to call a charger (the EVSE), a charger.

He said that all the chargers he's set up are hard wired. Why is the porsche charger (EVSE) portable (plugin), anyway? Where would you use it except at home?

I would like to future proof my setup to allow for inductive charging, should that become available. Anyone know what the chance is that a taycan bought today will support wireless charging in the future? And if so, what the power draw for that is likely to be?

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
IMO go with #6 AWG. The cost for wire is negligible ($0.40-$0.50 a foot) and the electricians labor is the same. It's what I ran in my garage and I only use the standard, portable charger which came with my Model 3.

I plan to use the included Taycan charger once it arrives.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My electrician just came over to discuss how to set up charging. After talking to him, I still have more questions than answers.

What he proposed is to run wiring capable of 80 amps (6 gauge wire), and connect it to a 50 amp breaker on the panel. This would future proof me should the car be able to accept more charging power, or if I got another car in the future. Some of you above have been saying that it would be significantly cheaper to just run 50 amp wiring. He said that wasn't true, he could set me up for 80 amps just as easily. Does this make sense?

If so, I think I'll opt for the faster charging setup above (Clipper Creek HCS-60). Any reason not to do that except for expense?

As I said above, he said all the car charging setups he's done were 100 amps...

Amusingly, he calls the thing that we're not supposed to call a charger (the EVSE), a charger.

He said that all the chargers he's set up are hard wired. Why is the porsche charger (EVSE) portable (plugin), anyway? Where would you use it except at home?

I would like to future proof my setup to allow for inductive charging, should that become available. Anyone know what the chance is that a taycan bought today will support wireless charging in the future? And if so, what the power draw for that is likely to be?
Let me try an answer:
  1. Wire gauge depends on length of run so he should compute that correctly for your setup. Correct that the cost of 50A vs 80A is minor.
  2. Why not just use the Porsche EVSE that you need to purchase with the car, you do not need the Clipper Creek, though the HCS 60 would be fine if you have some need for a 2nd EVSE.
  3. Future proof if you like, I would have him install 2 NEMA 14-50 receptacles. One for EVSE and one for future Induction mat.
  4. That is correct a charger converts power, like the DCFC Chargers convert 480V AC 3 Phase to 500V or 1000V DC and matches it to car needs. As far as I know its a EVSE if it is hard wired or plugged it, The Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) simply speaks the vehicle protocol and sends the 240V AC (or 110V AC) to the vehicle if requested with Please & Thank you... Well just so you cannot get electrocuted by the end of the plug.
  5. I plan to use the Porsche one at home then unhook from wall when I go on the occasional road trip that may need a personal EVSE. I have had a Bolt and done plenty of trips up to 1000 miles and yet to need my own EVSE. J1772 is very prevalent and I do recommend a Tesla Dest Charger adapter to J1772 for backup as many hotels have Tesla chargers,
Enjoy your Taycan!

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Let me try an answer:
  1. Wire gauge depends on length of run so he should compute that correctly for your setup. Correct that the cost of 50A vs 80A is minor.
  2. Why not just use the Porsche EVSE that you need to purchase with the car, you do not need the Clipper Creek, though the HCS 60 would be fine if you have some need for a 2nd EVSE.
  3. Future proof if you like, I would have him install 2 NEMA 14-50 receptacles. One for EVSE and one for future Induction mat.
  4. That is correct a charger converts power, like the DCFC Chargers convert 480V AC 3 Phase to 500V or 1000V DC and matches it to car needs. As far as I know its a EVSE if it is hard wired or plugged it, The Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) simply speaks the vehicle protocol and sends the 240V AC (or 110V AC) to the vehicle if requested with Please & Thank you... Well just so you cannot get electrocuted by the end of the plug.
  5. I plan to use the Porsche one at home then unhook from wall when I go on the occasional road trip that may need a personal EVSE. I have had a Bolt and done plenty of trips up to 1000 miles and yet to need my own EVSE. J1772 is very prevalent and I do recommend a Tesla Dest Charger adapter to J1772 for backup as many hotels have Tesla chargers,
Enjoy your Taycan!
Like the id a of two receptacle, would the wiring be different if they come out with a 22 kw charger and what would that look like? Thanks,

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Let me try an answer:
Enjoy your Taycan!
Thanks!

The reason I'm considering the Clipper Creek is that I could charge at 11kw (I think).

I'm still not getting why the Porche EVSE is plugin - when you would ever use that. For when visiting a friend who in the very unlikely event has a NEMA 14-50 plug that you can reach with the cord from the car?

If I do get the induction mat, I would think I'd only need one plug - I wouldn't use the Porsche EVSE any more...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Like the id a of two receptacle, would the wiring be different if they come out with a 22 kw charger and what would that look like? Thanks,
For 22kW in USA it would draw 91A so you would need at least 115A supply with single phase 240V power. I don't think that will ever be supported. I believe that the 22kW stations will be 3 phase and only available in commercial locations where 3 phase is common. Sorry, I had hoped too. ;)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks!

The reason I'm considering the Clipper Creek is that I could charge at 11kw (I think).

I'm still not getting why the Porche EVSE is plugin - when you would ever use that. For when visiting a friend who in the very unlikely event has a NEMA 14-50 plug that you can reach with the cord from the car?

If I do get the induction mat, I would think I'd only need one plug - I wouldn't use the Porsche EVSE any more...
The Porsche EVSE should support 9.6kW which is all that the Taycan will likely expect in single phase. The 11kW Taycan support today is only with 3 phase.
Though faster always seems nicer, I would say you would seldom need charging in less than 8 hrs which the 9.6kW will get you almost always.
Remember that you are limited by the actual Charger that is located in the vehicle, not just the EVSE.

I suggested the 2 plugs to support a 2nd EVSE for your next EV. :cool: Then just set charging power lower which is adjustable in vehicle or app.

Last edited:

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
BTW, I originally thought the connection was a NEMA 14-50 plug, but I looked more closely at my Turbo purchase order and see I ordered a NEMA 6-50 plug. Also, in looking at the Porsche configurator (U.S.) looks like that is what is now available for 50 amp line.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
BTW, I originally thought the connection was a NEMA 14-50 plug, but I looked more closely at my Turbo purchase order and see I ordered a NEMA 6-50 plug. Also, in looking at the Porsche configurator (U.S.) looks like that is what is now available for 50 amp line.
Yikes, a 6-50 is not common in the USA. At best you find 14-50 at RV campgrounds. You will want to get an adapter if you plan long road trips to less accessible areas. Or request the 14-50.

The NEMA 6-59 is 3 prong missing the common line which could give 120v split on the 240v.

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
Hmmm. Configurator only offers the following plugs for the EVSE: NEMA 6-30; NEMA 6-50; and NEMA 14-30????
Sponsored

Attachments