Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW?

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW? 1583274835664

I think the standard plug is 14-50
Well, could be that a 14-50 plug is standard. I actually know nothing about this topic (never had an EV before), except what Porsche configurator offers and what dealer said I should order.

Last edited:

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Thanks. I need to learn more about this. These actually look less expensive than the porsche charger (I know you're not supposed to call it a charger.) Regarding monitoring, don't things like the ClipperCreek EVSE give you comparable information to the Porsche one? And isn't the most important info coming from talking to the car itself? (State of charge.)
FWIW, I have a ClipperCreek EVSE for our BMW i3 and it's bulletproof. ClipperCreek makes a great product line, and they are relatively inexpensive. The comments about hardwiring and the installation costs are valid, but other than the Porsche logo and the dubious value of a WiFi connection to the EVSE, there's no reason not to go ClipperCreek. It's the brand I recommend to everyone.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
1583274835664.png

Well, could be that a 14-50 plug is standard. I actually know nothing about this topic (never had an EV before), except what Porsche configurator offers and what dealer said I should order.
It's confusing - the Mobile Connect charger comes with a Nema 14-50 pigtail. The $0 options you see above allow you to replace the 14-50 pigtail with a different configuration. It's a mutually exclusive choice. 14-50 is by far the most common, at least here in the US and including at public locales like RV parks, so it's the correct option to be the default. Unless you know you have a different connector at home and know why you need to swap out the 14-50 you should not select any of the Supply Cable options.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmmm. Configurator only offers the following plugs for the EVSE: NEMA 6-30; NEMA 6-50; and NEMA 14-30????
The answer is DO NOTHING!!!! At least for USA customers.

See the selection of alternate plugs clearly states:
Supply Cable for NEMA 6-50 Electrical Socket
240 volt supply cable for NEMA 14-30 socket, replaces standard NEMA 14-50 supply cable.
Simply do not select an alternate plug and you will get the NEMA 14-50. Don't Worry Be Happy... :cool:

Porsche Taycan Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW? 1583281863958

My config selections are:
Porsche Taycan Maximum AC charing rate: 9.6 kW or 11 kW? 1583282061247

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW, I have a ClipperCreek EVSE for our BMW i3 and it's bulletproof. ClipperCreek makes a great product line, and they are relatively inexpensive. The comments about hardwiring and the installation costs are valid, but other than the Porsche logo and the dubious value of a WiFi connection to the EVSE, there's no reason not to go ClipperCreek. It's the brand I recommend to everyone.
Well @Dave T the issue is that at this time Porsche requires you to purchase the Porsche Mobility Connect unit so other than the Porsche logo and WiFi connection to the EVSE you already will have the unit anyway. Or I would be fine with Clipper Creek, as I said in another post I have 36 of their units at my workplace. And if not abused, work well.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Are you sure about this? If you’re right, that would settle it.
From who I have read and heard this is correct. You will have 11 kW from three phase from the Connect supplied with the car. That will equal 16 amp per phase on a 240 volt supply

Last edited:

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Hmmm. Configurator only offers the following plugs for the EVSE: NEMA 6-30; NEMA 6-50; and NEMA 14-30????
In the US, look at the standard options as Porsche provides 14-50 standard in all builds unless you change it. Go for the free 25 foot cable as I hear if you order it later it is $755.

Stefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid, Dodge RAM
Country flag
A 22 kw onboard charger will be available from mid-2020. It is not yet known whether this is offered as an option or as a standard.

From this date, a HUD can also be ordered.

Delivery probably from Oct 2020

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
A 22 kw onboard charger will be available from mid-2020. It is not yet known whether this is offered as an option or as a standard.

Delivery probably from Oct 2020
Whoa, that's really interesting. How do you know this?

Last edited:

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I HUD for what? The dashboard of the car? I highly doubt they are going to make such a change only a year after release. Please provide some hard evidence backing your statement.

Stefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid, Dodge RAM
Country flag
There is already space for a HUD above the speedometer (you can already see the square above where the projector will sit). I noticed this during a test drive and my seller confirmed it.

The 22 kw charger will definitely come because I signed my purchase contract like this (HUD + 22 kw charger). It was the same with the HUD by my Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid. The HUD comes around 6 months later.
Sponsored