ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been thinking about the 270kW rate vs the initial stated 350kW rate and I think I understand what happened but was looking for other Electrical Engineer types to weigh in.

when I look at the product sticker on the side of the Electrify America Chargers I see a maximum voltage of 1000 volts and a maximum current of 350 amps. so that imply is that the only way to get 350 kilowatts is to be able to accept 1000 volts, whereas the Taycan battery is approximately 800 volts. Looking at 800V*350A = 280kW. Was wondering if people in Europe can grab an image of the normal Ionity chargers there to see if they also have the 350 amp limit.

This would imply to exploit the full 350kW the car would need a DC-DC converter to step down the 1000VDC which then also has its own inefficiencies.

Alternatively as spoken in the article new chargers &cables may support up to 500 amps; however, I'm not sure what the cable current rating is within the Taycan nor the CCS plug as those would also limit the current.

Related Articles:
charging will require a new generation of cables—and cable cooling
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-a-new-generation-of-cables-and-cable-cooling
and
prototype that will charge faster than its 350-kw Taycan
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...hat-will-charge-faster-than-its-350-kw-taycan

Slightly off topic, I was trying to find any international standards specs on the Tesla plug. For the V3 superchargers to deliver 250kW at 400V it would imply 625A continuous current. That seem phenomenally high for that small plug even with liquid cooling.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
when I look at the product sticker on the side of the Electrify America Chargers I see a maximum voltage of 1000 volts and a maximum current of 350 amps. so that imply is that the only way to get 350 kilowatts is to be able to accept 1000 volts, whereas the Taycan battery is approximately 800 volts. Looking at 800V*350A = 280kW. Was wondering if people in Europe can grab an image of the normal Ionity chargers there to see if they also have the 350 amp limit.
Well, the amps define how thick the cable needs to be in order not to overheat. Cooling can help a little, but at the end, how heavy/stiff can you make the cable and still be operated by people without strong physic. There is clearly a limit.

That limit seems to be about 600A. The new Chinese standard ChaoJi will be 900kW with 1500V x 600A.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there is also the matter of battery design - large kW requires a large number of cells (split the load down into bite sized chuncks) - there is some math based on the number of cells, how they are laid out, and what the maximum voltage each cell can accept…

an interview with Porsche’s head of battery design indicated charging at more than 270 kW would “burn out“ the battery…

so it’s a complex dance of electrical engineering, human ergonomics, battery design, battery reliability, heating/cooling requirements, commercial scale deployment possibilities…

if EA would just focus on their stations actually working (vs. broken chargers, bad payment systems, crashed station software) the current 22 min 5-80% charge time isn’t really that bad - but every time I’ve tried to use an EA station I’ve spent 5-15 minutes on the phone just trying to get it activated.

you have to give it to Tesla in that their fast chargers “just work” most of the time, in that you simply pull up, plug-in, and walk away. No broken point of sale system, picking which charger to activate, broken touch screen on the charger, or so much glare on the screen that you can’t read it to activate the charger -the whole industry needs to move to “plug-in & charge” - that’s it!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The different operators of the charging stations clearly need to improve their game and monitor the uptime on each charger. Especially EA and Ionity that are financed by the VW group. There are too many stories about non functioning stations and it is not that difficult to supervise them. They need a good network management system that will tell them about problems and not rely on customers phoning in with faults. And of course have trained and experienced service personnel to repair them. If Mobile Operators and especially electricity suppliers can manage their network for a high uptime, this can not be so difficult. And in the future this can become a competitive advantage for reliable networks, when there are more EVs on the road.
Sponsored