MB EQE SUV vs. Waiting for Macan EV

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
While running my Macan loaner through the car wash today (sorry Porsche, no hand wash for the loaner) look what popped out right behind me, an EQE SUV.

The driver said that he worked for MB and was responsible for training dealers on the new tech. He also claimed that the SUV would show up at dealers in about 8 weeks. I was intrigued as we have been waiting for the Macan EV for a long, long time, and thought that perhaps the MB EQE SUV might be a suitable alternative.

In person, it is not much different looking than the EQS SUV, i.e. it is not going to win any beauty contests. It is however a reasonably attractive car. I did not have much time to interrogate the driver as the car wash guys kept yelling at both of us to get our cars out of the way. But the driver stated that it had a 90.4 kWh (useable) battery, would accept 170 kW while charging, and that if the weather was nice and warm he could extract about 270 miles of range, which is not too bad for a 5,700 lb. car. He also claimed that the CoD was a respectable .025.

The car I inspected had the "Napa" leather which seemed pretty nice (actually just about on par with the Macan T loaner I was driving -- not any softer). It also had 21 inch 265 wheels/tires which were fully rotatable -- nice touch. The backseat legroom appeared a bit better than the Macan, but not by much. The fellow also said that MB would be introducing all the EQE SUVs with standard displays and that the Hyper-screen would come later. As can be seen in the pics, there is a nice storage space under the center thing -- which I guess would be a nice place for the ladies to put their purses.

Overall, the EQE is a nice enough car, but it has a strong "family truckster" vibe (fake wood paneling on the sides would not seem entirely out of place) and looked downright dowdy when parked next to a Porsche Macan.

Conclusion: MB did not exactly set the bar too high for a mid-sized EV SUV. Even if we have to wait another 18 months to get our hands on a Macan EV rather than jumping on an EQE in the next few months, it will be time well spent.

Disclaimer: We have had a few MB's over the years and now that we are a Porsche family (EV and ICE) we always tend to feel sorry for, if not take pity upon, the misguided people who drive MB's -- so take my 5 minute, highly prejudiced, EQE review with a grain of salt.

Porsche Taycan MB EQE SUV vs. Waiting for Macan EV 0FDBB49B-1AC2-48ED-B883-DB1AE15DEF25_1_105_c
Porsche Taycan MB EQE SUV vs. Waiting for Macan EV 44855636-59E4-4F9C-A3F9-C8D3FEBDC674_1_105_c
Porsche Taycan MB EQE SUV vs. Waiting for Macan EV 57A1F51D-7CBB-4F30-8F60-71C31DA62E28_1_105_c

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
The EQS SUV does not have a frunk, so I assume the EQE SUV doesn’t either?

I took my friend‘s EQS SUV for a short ride and it was very plush and quiet, especially compared to my latest Model X. I am not sure if many people actually cross shop a MB GLE/EQE SUV with a Macan/EV. While both are soccer dads/moms cars, the Porsche variant is more aggressive in styling and driving dynamics, and likely with less storage/cargo space all around compared to the MB variant.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Interior leaves a lot to be desired - a problem across the MB range.

Macan EV will be more desirable and no doubt a better choice all round

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I think that the next big battle of EV’s will be the mid and large SUV’s, I think Tesla will be challenged as they are only at the top because they hit the market first in numbers.

Will be quite a tough arena a as their will be a mountain of considerations which I imagine will be headed by cost, space and range as probable focus points.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Looks aside, the real question is whether you’d be willing to sacrifice the driving dynamics of a Porsche for the MB. 5700lbs is very heavy and not surprising given the weight of MB’s EVs. The macan ICE is known for best in class handling, the MB SUVs sit at the other end of the spectrum. I would wait for the new Macan EV, but really depends what you need

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Looks aside, the real question is whether you’d be willing to sacrifice the driving dynamics of a Porsche for the MB. 5700lbs is very heavy and not surprising given the weight of MB’s EVs. The macan ICE is known for best in class handling, the MB SUVs sit at the other end of the spectrum. I would wait for the new Macan EV, but really depends what you need
Hi tutis, I don’t think it could be a direct comparison as those looking for an SUV would not look at a Taycan as there would be too many compromises to what a Taycan can provide and a full on SUV has to offer. I see it as two completely different markets with the only common factor is that it is an EV.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Incredibly ugly. Can’t find anything I like about the design, exterior and interior. Looks like a cinese copy of a Merc SUV😳.

Reactions: B61

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Incredibly ugly. Can’t find anything I like about the design, exterior and interior. Looks like a cinese copy of a Merc SUV😳.

’Ugly’ is in the eye of the beholder ….. probably why I drive a Model X 🤣 - I don’t think many SUV’s purchases tend to buy on looks, more practicality, space and range. That’s why I ended up with mine, now my boys can drive their own cars and they no longer want to go holidays with parent (far too uncool and restrictive), it’s time to get a car I want…..result Taycan on order…..although a 70kg Rottweiler has steered me to the CT.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
’Ugly’ is in the eye of the beholder ….. probably why I drive a Model X 🤣 - I don’t think many SUV’s purchases tend to buy on looks, more practicality, space and range. That’s why I ended up with mine, now my boys can drive their own cars and they no longer want to go holidays with parent (far too uncool and restrictive), it’s time to get a car I want…..result Taycan on order…..although a 70kg Rottweiler has steered me to the CT.
I think we’re digital twins. Long time X owner here too. It is practical though and does tow quite well 🤣

Granola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4 Avant Quattro
Country flag
The EQS SUV does not have a frunk, so I assume the EQE SUV doesn’t either?
That's correct. None of the MB EVs have a frunk nor a hood that should be opened by the driver.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
the Model X design is more interesting then this Merc. The EQ line Looks bleak and dismissed, cheap at my eyes. Tesla X at least has got the exotic rear door and a lot of presence the Merc doesn’t have. At this price tag presence and look is one of the most important selling feature.
I was sold by the presence, imposing personality of the Taycan. At the same time in a classy porsche manner. Not screaming “hey look at me, I have got money” they way Merc and Bmw do this days…

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
the Model X design is more interesting then this Merc. The EQ line Looks bleak and dismissed, cheap at my eyes. Tesla X at least has got the exotic rear door and a lot of presence the Merc doesn’t have. At this price tag presence and look is one of the most important selling feature.
I was sold by the presence, imposing personality of the Taycan. At the same time in a classy porsche manner. Not screaming “hey look at me, I have got money” they way Merc and Bmw do this days…
.. I got the X for its technology, charging network and in 6 seat config the dog had his own space. The other reason, don’t tell anyone…….was that the Model X was ‘frugly’ and thus by default made me as the driver better looking!

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I imagine that 70kg of Rotty can steer most people wherever they want.

Indeed- it's what they were bred for -
8e3go2pani851.jpg
Absolutely, which is why I’m not bothered about Taycan battery range either in winter or summer as my dog will just pull it to the next charger should the batteries run dead.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Most modern Merc’s leave me pretty cold, and the EQ stuff similar.

Actually prefer the BMWs even with grille designs which are pretty….challenging.

I’ll wait to see what the new Macan is like, as a potential replacement for the X. No rush though. The suspension hasn’t given way (yet) and the doors don’t need new seals etc. drivetrain otherwise seems like it will easily go another 100K miles and the interior although often criticised has stood up to 6 years of kids abusing it quite well.
Sponsored