Gary Gerrard

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo, and 2017 911 Turbo
Country flag
I just got a 2021 Taycan Turbo, 3400 miles. The charge screen indicates the miles and charge percent remaining, but the miles remaining decrease faster than the miles actually traveled. Yesterday I drove 44 miles and the charged miles remaining went down 50 miles. That means the charge indicator is overstating the mileage? Is this a fault in the system that needs repair?
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Is this your first electric car?

If so, I would recommend spending a few hours on Youtube watching videos on how electric cars operate and the impact of various operating and environmental conditions on battery life. Also, I would Google "electric vehicle guess-o-meter."

I think this will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
If I drive 160 kmh in Germany my range goes down faster than initially predicted and if I drive 100 kmh in The Netherlands I arrive with more range than predicted when starting the trip.

PIRM is actually quite good in predicting the range. It will change the remaining range when you drive faster.

it does take the type of road, allowed speed, elevation and temperature in account.But it can’t predict in advance what your driving style will be the next hour.

range prediction is more accurate if you enter a destination. The range after full charge is more like a general more or less educated guess based on previous driving. If you do several short trips in cold weather range will go down much faster than one longer trip.

OP
OP

Gary Gerrard

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First electric, but I have already watched many Youtube videos. I realize the mileage charge is just a guess, but I thought it would be more accurate than off by 12%. I guess that's not too bad. Just means I need to keep it charged enough to have a cushion. Thanks

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
First electric, but I have already watched many Youtube videos. I realize the mileage charge is just a guess, but I thought it would be more accurate than off by 12%. I guess that's not too bad. Just means I need to keep it charged enough to have a cushion. Thanks
It can be much worse. If I only do 5 km trips to work in freezing temperatures I can probably do only 200 km on one charge.

The predicted range is accurate for a trip entered in navigation but not to predict how far you can drive on several trips on multiple days on a single charge.

For longer trips in general I am between 300 - 360 km estimated range for full charge. Depending on speed, temperatures and roofbox.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
It's an estimate not a guarantee. Driving style, elevation, etc are factors.

This is not new to electric cars, gas cars work the same.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag

Speed and weather conditions have a huge impact on range. You could start a drive at 100% battery level and the PCM will show 240 miles worth of range, but if you drive 100mph the entire time you will be lucky to get 120 miles of range. If the weather is cold the impact will be even worse.

Depending on what you are doing you need to adjust your driving style. 12% is not that bad for battery accuracy to be off if you are doing 80mph or 90mph on a highway.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I just got a 2021 Taycan Turbo, 3400 miles. The charge screen indicates the miles and charge percent remaining, but the miles remaining decrease faster than the miles actually traveled. Yesterday I drove 44 miles and the charged miles remaining went down 50 miles. That means the charge indicator is overstating the mileage? Is this a fault in the system that needs repair?
Was this pre-owned?
It might be the difference between your driving style and the previous owner.
Do you have a lead foot?

OP
OP

Gary Gerrard

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was this pre-owned?
It might be the difference between your driving style and the previous owner.
Do you have a lead foot?
No I don't. I usually set the cruise control at 10mph over speed limit. (Local police cannot stop you for 10 over.)

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
I noticed the remaining mileage goes down less by disengaging the regen feature, which I tend to do for freeway driving. Try this if you haven't already.

Last edited:

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Tesla MX P100D
Country flag
Just came here to post about this. Not new to EVs (driving Teslas since 2016). My CT4 is 5 months old and now has about 3000 miles. We also have Tesla MX. What I really liked about Tayan when it was delivered that it frequently underestimated the charged mileage consumption (ex., 50 mile trip, only 35 miles consumed). Last few months, however, I've noticed a change to overestimate milage just like Tesa. Now it seems I lose 2 miles for every mile driven. I know driving habits play a role as well as elevation and temperature, but driving habits and the variable are the same. I almost exclusively use EA (fast charging). Something doesn't add up for me.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Simply the GOM range is based on your last drive. So if you were intown driving slow and had lots of regen due to stopping frequently then on your next drive you go out on the motorway and drive 120 km/hr where your consumption is much greater than the last drive then the GOM will go down faster then the odometer. It's because your consumption is different from the last drive.

BC gas cars don't generally have a range meter people don't realize that the range on a gas car varies a lot depending on driving style and weather conditions.

OP
OP

Gary Gerrard

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 911 Turbo has Miles remaining, distance traveled this trip, and consumption in miles/gal. Of course, mileage does vary, but I have found the miles remaining to be very accurate, i.e., getting to the gas station with an indicated range of 5 miles remaining.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Just came here to post about this. Not new to EVs (driving Teslas since 2016). My CT4 is 5 months old and now has about 3000 miles. We also have Tesla MX. What I really liked about Tayan when it was delivered that it frequently underestimated the charged mileage consumption (ex., 50 mile trip, only 35 miles consumed). Last few months, however, I've noticed a change to overestimate milage just like Tesa. Now it seems I lose 2 miles for every mile driven. I know driving habits play a role as well as elevation and temperature, but driving habits and the variable are the same. I almost exclusively use EA (fast charging). Something doesn't add up for me.
Fast charging might degrade the battery a bit faster?
Sponsored