Levee

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A5
Country flag
The beginning of the nightmare happened nearly a fortnight ago, my poor Taycan (I'm still very much heartbroken) slid out on a corner and hit a kerb on the front wheel. The tie rod to the wheel was buckled by the impact. The rear offside wheel made a much smaller impact with the kerb and was a bit scuffed. No other damage was visible. The AA picked up my Taycan (more heartbreak) and whisked it off to Porsche Hatfield. I then went on a planned holiday with some friends.

I spoke to Porsche Hatfield before I went on holiday and they said they'd get back to me within 5 working days. 5 days later they called me saying the chassis was damaged! In complete disbelief I then spoke to someone else who said the car had not moved at all and they had been unable to inspect it other than from where it was parked so I don't know how they were able to say the chassis had been damaged. However they then told me the wheel arm was broken - again with no inspection. The AA and myself saw nothing wrong with the wheel arm at the time of the accident, I even have a photo of it, it was only a buckled tie rod that was visibly dmaaged after we got the wheel off. Porsche then cited multiple other things that could be broken - I doubt they realise how much anxiety and disbelief they were causing me. I fully appreciate there is no guarantee there is no other damage, but being told every single thing that could be wrong with it with no actual inspection is just not at all helpful. Finally they confirmed they were going to get their approved bodyshop to pick it up and check it over within 3 days, honestly I was very much relieved at this point that it would be leaving Porsche Hatfield and I could talk to someone who would actually inspect the car before jumping to every conclusion under the Sun.

So fast forward to today, I've got back from my holiday and out of curiosity (and mild suspicion) I drove over to Porsche Hatfield... yes my poor Taycan is still parked exactly where the AA left it nearly 2 weeks later. It's absolutely hopeless, nothing has happened at all.

Has anyone had any experience with these approved bodyshops? I am wondering whether to find a bodyshop myself and get them to pick it up before Porsche Hatfield can infuriate me any further.
Sponsored

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
First, I am sorry for your mishap. Second, search the forum. You will see at least one post like yours. Your visible damage was greater than the post I remember reading. The damage was quite extensive from what I remember. North of $20k. I tried to do a quick search for you, but the search engine is not very capable.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Ouch. Very sorry to hear. Perhaps it’s limited to the front subframe assy. Rather than the chassis.

They need to get it properly inspected though, it’s speculation until then.

Keep a cool head. It’s only metal at the end of the day. Good luck 👍

Deleted member 6348

It’s going to be a slow and frustrating process. It took 85 days from the rear end collision that totaled my Taycan to receive payment for my claim.

I was rear ended so hard that the pedal box and steering column were bent. Initial estimate was optimistic, but as they tore things down, the full scope of the damage became apparent. The parts tally hit $85k before they stopped counting.

Give the certified collision center the time they need to do the job right. It’s okay to follow up and get updates if no one is being proactive, but it will require some level of patience. Good luck.

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car. :( While I'm US versus UK, I got re-ended without any chassis damage (just subframe), took 3 different body shops before I found one that was even willing to work on the car, and it ended up coming to $50k. The only "bonus" was that it only took 4 months to get the car back, versus the original estimate of 6 months.

Porsche Taycan Minor Crash / Porsche Hatfield QGEY9213.JPG

DJBlack

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Cayenne Coupe, Taycan GTS on order
Country flag
Hi mate, fellow UK member here, and I work in the “trade”.

I would consider getting the ball rolling with an insurance claim here, for various reasons:

- Wheel alignment on a Taycan is a massive job and involves removal of the front bumper, and re-initialisation of the front cameras afterwards, I think I remember reading it was over 5 hours labour alone. I did remember reading that the front bumper only needs to be removed for one adjustment, which is unlikely in most cases, but I am sure a bent / snapped steering arm will require full alignment After the repair.

- You can insist to your insurance company that the car gets repaired by an Authorised Porsche bodyshop, to ensure that the level of workmanship remains high

- Main reason - Your insurance company will likely put you in a Courtesy car, which will be costing them ALOT of money, which will mean they will constantly chase the bodyshop for updates on the repair. They will be held in higher respect by the bodyshop than you as a “retail customer” and therefore it will be in everyone’s interests to get the job complete as quickly as possible

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
First, I am sorry for your mishap. Second, search the forum. You will see at least one post like yours. Your visible damage was greater than the post I remember reading. The damage was quite extensive from what I remember. North of $20k. I tried to do a quick search for you, but the search engine is not very capable.
I think the story you may be referring to is the chap who cracked a wheel on the kerb. Porsche made him change all of the suspension bits and bobs and assorted other thingies as that was the protocol. I think it was north of 10k from memory. So your bust wheel may automatically = this bigger (maybe unnecessary) repair. I think the explanation was along the lines of there is a component inside a housing that couldn't be inspected, so the assumption was it could be broken.

OP
OP
Levee

Levee

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A5
Country flag
Thanks for the advice everyone it is appreciated.

I spoke to Porsche earlier who said the car was being loaded onto the truck as I was speaking to them to go to the body shop so some relief there. I've also contacted the insurers today to get them prep'd for the repairs news :eek:

Damage externally is minor - 2 scuffed wheels. And then a tie rod buckled behind.

But I fully agree there could be damage lurking underneath... I'll let you know what the body shop say...

Last edited:

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Can tell you already those wheels are scruffed to deep to recut in a maschine, that’s like 4-5mm deep on some parts. That means one, possibly 2 new rims as you don’t want 2 rims to look “beheaded” for the rest I can’t tell, but if your wheel was pushed into the car forcefully by a slam against curbstone, this won’t stop at the arm. That’s all iron on iron, nothing to absorb.

AGDunc

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Sprinter 4x4 Camper
Country flag
Yikes! I'm very conscious that my car is on summer tyres (so it doesn't officially like temperatures below 7 degrees celcius), but +£20k from an angry curb is enough to put anybody off squeezing the trigger a little too hard on a bend.

Good luck with the fix

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Curbs are the natural enemy of the car. They can do so much hidden damage. Bummer, but it’s just a car. Take it to a good shop, let insurance handle it, and don’t sweat it too much.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
There is a general issue with Porsche/all servicing (it seems!) at the moment - huge backlogs, lack of parts etc. My only thought is to give Porsche Reading a call - they always seem to be better stocked and more knowledgeable that the rest as the UK "head office". Not to say they are perfect by any stretch...

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
It was 21ATS whose car suffered wheel damage and the std Porsche costs were....lumpy.

Porsche do seem to love this sort of thing.

OP
OP
Levee

Levee

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A5
Country flag
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Car arrived at the bodyshop on Monday and they presently don't think there is chassis damage which is a big relief. However the Insurer is now saying it will be 18 days before their Engineer can look at the bodyshop's quote - eurrgghhh!
Sponsored