Mission-E wheels fit Taycan 4S with the standard brakes?

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Just wanted to make sure as I believe that I've read it somewhere here. Mission-e wheels fit to Taycan 4S with the standard brakes, right? The configurator requires to upgrade the brakes upon choosing those wheels, but it is there any reason behind it?

I'm planning to purchase the Mission-e wheels as my second set of wheels, so I don't want to make the mistake :)
Sponsored

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Just wanted to make sure as I believe that I've read it somewhere here. Mission-e wheels fit to Taycan 4S with the standard brakes, right? The configurator requires to upgrade the brakes upon choosing those wheels, but it is there any reason behind it?

I'm planning to purchase the Mission-e wheels as my second set of wheels, so I don't want to make the mistake :)
There is no reason you cannot have the 21'' rims. The configurator is also about profit:) thats one reason why it asks for larger brakes another reason is looks. To the eye the larger brakes look better under the wheel. These are all speculation, I do not work in Porsche and did not sit in any planning meetings. There is another forum user who rocks the 21s with red base 4S brakes. He seems happy:)

OP
OP
rstr

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
There is no reason you cannot have the 21'' rims. The configurator is also about profit:) thats one reason why it asks for larger brakes another reason is looks. To the eye the larger brakes look better under the wheel. These are all speculation, I do not work in Porsche and did not sit in any planning meetings. There is another forum user who rocks the 21s with red base 4S brakes. He seems happy:)
Thanks, that's what I thought :)

ceresma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S90D 2015
Country flag
If you look at Suncoast (to purchase after market). They state the following for the 4S
Note: Only in combination with Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) or Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB).

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Some people think the upgrade is required because you can see the caliper much more so Porsche recommend the bigger brakes. However, I think there may be a more technical reason behind the required upgrade. I guess only a technical person from Porsche may be able to answer this rather than forum members.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It's obvious you need bigger wheels when you select PCCB but Porsche tries reverse optioning...

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
My porsche salesman told me it's because the wheels will make wind noise at higher speed if someone fit mission e wheels to the small brakes.

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
My porsche salesman told me it's because the wheels will make wind noise at higher speed if someone fit mission e wheels to the small brakes. And man It looks so nice with the big brakes, I would never buy mission e wheels with those small 4s brakes

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am in Minnesota and plan to use the Taycan as an all year car. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the 21" wheels would be worse for winter driving in the snow? I can't think of a reason it would perform worse but I thought I would ask.
I would be happy with 20" rims but honestly none of the other rims thrill me very much. The other option would be to get two sets of wheels and swap them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rstr

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My porsche salesman told me it's because the wheels will make wind noise at higher speed if someone fit mission e wheels to the small brakes. And man It looks so nice with the big brakes, I would never buy mission e wheels with those small 4s brakes
Yeah, I fully agree the bigger brakes look better. Yet, on the other hand, the smaller ones already work well, look fine enough and I'd prefer to spend this budget on the other options.

The other thing is that maintenance of PSCB brakes is even more expensive than the purchase, as I heard. Cit.:
"I was going to get these on my Macan but replacement costs for just the rotors on Suncoast was over $10K. Can't imagine how much the dealer will charge. Standard Iron is only $500 on Suncoast. Just saying...."
From: facebook.com/groups/taycanporsche/permalink/636051790319322/

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am in Minnesota and plan to use the Taycan as an all year car. Does anyone have an opinion on weather the 21" wheels would be worse for winter driving in the snow? I can't think of a reason it would perform worse but I thought I would ask.
I would be happy with 20" rims but honestly none of the other rims thrill me very much. The other option would be to get two sets of wheels and swap them.
The 21" wheels are 20mm wider front & back, so you will have less traction. They will also be less efficient and I'm not sure if there are winter tires available for them yet.

You could always buy a set of 19" or 20" to swap on for winter. If you're actually planning on driving in snow, that's the way to go.

Or you could just spec the base wheels & brakes and buy nice aftermarket 20" wheels. For the price of the Mission E wheels + upgraded brakes you have some really sweet aftermarket options.

OP
OP
rstr

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The 21" wheels are 20mm wider front & back, so you will have less traction. They will also be less efficient and I'm not sure if there are winter tires available for them yet.

You could always buy a set of 19" or 20" to swap on for winter. If you're actually planning on driving in snow, that's the way to go.

Or you could just leave on the base wheels & brakes and buy nice aftermarket 20" wheels. For the price of the Mission E wheels + upgraded brakes you have some really sweet aftermarket options.
To be honest, I've already purchased the rims without having the car yet ;) In my config the car will be already on 21" wheels, but not the misssion-e ones. I plan to have the mission-e ones for the summer tires and the other for the winter.

I've already found an answer to my question:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/21-inch-wheels-on-4s.1136/#post-15803

I think that Porsche didn't want to let putting mission-e wheels on standard brakes as they indeed look a bit worse as they are smaller and that's the only difference.

The other thing to consider here is that Porsche will not let the car have the warranty extended if it has mission-e wheels on standard brakes.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

Impact of Larger wheels:
  • Different offset or width may affect handling or interference
  • Taycan computer may not recognize the configuration
  • Larger centrifugal force is harder to stop (and start)
  • Increased aerodynamic drag (small brakes do not block air)
    • The aero wheels create a bubble of air around the wheel-well opening and the mission wheels depend on the large brakes to block air from being sucked into the wheel well
Sponsored