First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3M
Country flag
I’m new to EVs and have a 4s on order.
I’m having a quote for an Andersen wall box to be fitted at home.
I’m a UK resident and I’m planning on not ordering the On-Board DC-Charger with 150 kW...as I think it’s pretty pointless here.
Also as I don’t think I need the Mobile charger connect as I’ll have the Andersen wall box at home so why do I need it? Am I correct in this assumption or am I missing anything.
I’ll be charging my car at home most of the time and I’ll have the public charging cable too.
Sponsored

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
Hello
If your getting an Anderson wall box fitted at your home then there is actually no need to get the Porsche mobile connect as both do the same thing .
By not getting the 150 onboard dc that will limit the speed of your charging when charging at stations if in case you need to on a long journey

Reactions: dan

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
I’m a UK resident and I’m planning on not ordering the On-Board DC-Charger with 150 kW...as I think it’s pretty pointless here.
Also as I don’t think I need the Mobile charger connect as I’ll have the Andersen wall box at home so why do I need it? Am I correct in this assumption or am I missing anything.
I’ll be charging my car at home most of the time and I’ll have the public charging cable too.
You will get the basic Mobile Charger Plus with a 5m cable included in the standard spec, you don’t need to buy a PMCC (Porsche Mobile Charger Connect). You could even get away with just a 32A commando socket and plug your PMCS into that. You would have to remember to take that with you if you needed to charge away from home, say at a friend’s or relative’s.
I was going to cancel the 150kW on board charger but the salesman persuaded me to to leave it, but I am not convinced I need it. It will only be useful on the Continent or in Eire.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
The Taycan will charge at up to 270 kW on most, if not all, UK chargers. The 150 kW upgrade is only relevant on 400V chargers, UK ones are 800V.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
BP Chargemaster units may be 400V for 150kW - check this first. There may be a mix out there.

It would be unwise not to tick the 150 kW DC but agree that if all 150kW units past and future are 800v then it would be pointless.

The PMC unit is free but advise getting the 7.5m cable as it is a no cost option.

There is no logic to installing an Andersen's unit in addition particularly if you are installing in a garage. Andersen's will install your supply only - they are 1st class.

Also consider substituting the PMC for the free public cable and then select the PMCC for £210 less than the £762 currently charged due to the PMC subscription credit.

PMCC is rated at 22kW but not sure the PMC is (Andersen's STD unit isn't either) should you want to install a 3 phase supply and the 22kW AC onboard charger (don't recommend) for the car.

PMCC works really well given the Porsche Connect App and other online tools.

OP
OP

Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3M
Country flag
BP Chargemaster units may be 400V for 150kW - check this first. There may be a mix out there.

It would be unwise not to tick the 150 kW DC but agree that if all 150kW units past and future are 800v then it would be pointless.

The PMC unit is free but advise getting the 7.5m cable as it is a no cost option.

There is no logic to installing an Andersen's unit in addition particularly if you are installing in a garage. Andersen's will install your supply only - they are 1st class.

Also consider substituting the PMC for the free public cable and then select the PMCC for £210 less than the £762 currently charged due to the PMC subscription credit.

PMCC is rated at 22kW but not sure the PMC is (Andersen's STD unit isn't either) should you want to install a 3 phase supply and the 22kW AC onboard charger (don't recommend) for the car.

PMCC works really well given the Porsche Connect App and other online tools.
Cheers all.

It’s a “company lease” if it was my own car I’d probably select the 150kw dc but there seems little point for 2 years of uk travel mostly to and from consistent destinations.

The Andersen unit will go on my wall outside the garage. Are you suggesting I don’t bother with this?
I think I’ll need it though as I’m charging at home and it’ll be useful for future EVs. I’ve ordered the tethered unit so I can just plug this straight into my Taycan, I’ve disregarded the “home energy manager” as well as I think the Andersen is a smart version so it should ensure presumably that my house doesn’t get overloaded and I can manage it from my phone?

I don’t think I’ll be installing 3 phase anytime soon.

Agree on the 7.5m cable option

How does my set up sound? I’m naive when it comes to EVs as you can tell ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Cheers all.

It’s a “company lease” if it was my own car I’d probably select the 150kw dc but there seems little point for 2 years of uk travel mostly to and from consistent destinations.

The Andersen unit will go on my wall outside the garage. Are you suggesting I don’t bother with this?
I think I’ll need it though as I’m charging at home and it’ll be useful for future EVs. I’ve ordered the tethered unit so I can just plug this straight into my Taycan, I’ve disregarded the “home energy manager” as well as I think the Andersen is a smart version so it should ensure presumably that my house doesn’t get overloaded and I can manage it from my phone?

I don’t think I’ll be installing 3 phase anytime soon.

Agree on the 7.5m cable option

How does my set up sound? I’m naive when it comes to EVs as you can tell ?
You will end up with 2 chargers if you aren't careful. You'll get the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC) as standard unless you deselect it (there is a substitution option).

As you're installing outside and fully exposed to the elements then I'm not sure how weather proof the Porsche one is - check with the dealer.

Ignore the Home Energy Manager as you don't need it.

With a dedicated 32A supply you'll be fine and can charge at 7.4kW nae bother.

OP
OP

Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3M
Country flag
You will end up with 2 chargers if you aren't careful. You'll get the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC) as standard unless you deselect it (there is a substitution option).

As you're installing outside and fully exposed to the elements then I'm not sure how weather proof the Porsche one is - check with the dealer.

Ignore the Home Energy Manager as you don't need it.

With a dedicated 32A supply you'll be fine and can charge at 7.4kW nae bother.
Not sure I understand? I’ve not selected any porsche charging options boxes except for the public charging cable.

Presumably I’ll get the standard mobile charger with the car and then I’ll just keep that stored in the car (for use if i visit friends etc) mostly I’ll just use my Anderson outside wall box at my home to plug straight into my car. The Taycan will be kept outside on my drive and not in the garage I’m sorry to say.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not sure I understand? I’ve not selected any porsche charging options boxes except for the public charging cable.

Presumably I’ll get the standard mobile charger with the car and then I’ll just keep that stored in the car (for use if i visit friends etc) mostly I’ll just use my Anderson outside wall box at my home to plug straight into my car. The Taycan will be kept outside on my drive and not in the garage I’m sorry to say.
The PMC is standard so you don't need to select it. It is portable too and therefore could be taken with you as needed (but useless on a 13A plug connection for any kind of useable charge - belt and braces only).

However, you can deselect it by choosing the substitution option (cable) in the configurator which drops the cost by £210 and could then be used to subsidise the more desirable PMCC which is also portable(plus dock if you need it).

Up to you really and I wasn't sure if you realised you'd end up with 2 chargers. Never a bad thing but perhaps overkill!

Personally I would go PMCC with charging dock and embrace the full Porsche eco-system given the integration it brings.

OP
OP

Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3M
Country flag
The PMC is standard so you don't need to select it. It is portable too and therefore could be taken with you as needed (but useless on a 13A plug connection for any kind of useable charge - belt and braces only).

However, you can deselect it by choosing the substitution option (cable) in the configurator which drops the cost by £210 and could then be used to subsidise the more desirable PMCC which is also portable(plus dock if you need it).

Up to you really and I wasn't sure if you realised you'd end up with 2 chargers. Never a bad thing but perhaps overkill!

Personally I would go PMCC with charging dock and embrace the full Porsche eco-system given the integration it brings.
So basically you’re saying the PMC is useless and only 3 pin for emergencies? Surely there’s some merit in having it just in case though?

I’ve just been back on the configurator tool and it lets me substitute the PMC for a public charging cable saving me the £210 but it doesn’t let me also tick the PMCC box at the same time so I can’t put the £210 towards the cost of it really.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So basically you’re saying the PMC is useless and only 3 pin for emergencies? Surely there’s some merit in having it just in case though?

I’ve just been back on the configurator tool and it lets me substitute the PMC for a public charging cable saving me the £210 but it doesn’t let me also tick the PMCC box at the same time so I can’t put the £210 towards the cost of it really.
No I'm not saying that at all. PMC would do the same as your Andersen charger. Please re-read what I've said from the start. However if you want to have 2 chargers which essentially do the same thing then that's your choice.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Perhaps things are different somehow on the other side of the pond or perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post but on the US configurator you can only option the no-cost 7.5m (25ft) cable with the PMCC, not the standard PMC.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Indeed. My bad. So if you want a Porsche charger you either take the standard PMC or pay the full price for PMCC rather than the £210 saving I mentioned.

OP
OP

Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3M
Country flag
Thanks for your help W1NGE.
I was trying to work it out on the configuration tool but yes it didn’t let me discount one with the other unfortunately. I think I’ll take the standard charger for emergencies and the public cable. Those combined with my Andersen should be just fine I hope

Simon T

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
hi. You are right to ask these questions. I wish I had. I have had an Anderson box fitted - great box, Outside weather proof (the Porsche one is not), great App, looks great, 7.4kwh.
I mistakenly had the Porsche charger connect plus cable and brackets and home energy manger on my order. The home energy manager was a complete waste (anybody want to buy it?). The connect plus charger cable is fine for a very slow charge top up - so I’ve kept that in the car in case I ever stay anywhere where there’s only a 3 pin plug option (UK based) to use. I’ve tried it plugged into my own wall socket and it gives about 2kwhr so very very slow, but worth having in case of no other option.
The public charger cable came FOC and is so far unused as every charger I’ve visited is so far tethered.
So in summary - Anderson box is great and highly recommended, Porsche connect plus cable (without buying the mounting box) is worth having, the public charger cable so far not worth it, but as it was free it’s no issue.
I also had the on board 150kwh charger thing and I’m still not sure if it was wise or not. My order was an early one, so the current options are different. Hope this helps. By the way, great car - you’ll love it.
Sponsored