Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
I saw that the MCC has a 40amp rating.

Can you actually use this on a 40amp circuit breaker assuming nothing else is on that breaker?
Or do you have to use it on a 50 amp breaker?

I have a 40amp breaker in the garage already, and don't want to swap out the wiring to go to 50 amp breaker.

It would seem you could use a 40amp device on a 40amp circuit, but if it draws too much can you downgrade it to draw 32 or some other number?

thanks
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For electrical code you need to have 20% buffer for continuous loads. That means you should have a 50 amp breaker for a 40 amp EV charger as the charger will be running for up to 8-10 hours.

As far as whether it would be working with a 40 amp breaker, the answer is probably yes but the breakers are not intended to be ran out there limit for a long period either.

The breaker is intended to protect the wire and the outlets. You would want to make sure that the wire would not be getting warm with the long term high load.

You are correct that the charge can be set to 32A then the 40A circuit would be ok. I have yet to see the user interface on the Porsche charger to see how to do that. I have an inexpensive Chinese charger that you shake to change the amperage and it also has a proximity card that can be used.

Also see related threads:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When I had my NEMA 14-50 outlet installed, the electrician put in a 40A breaker, because the Bolt is only a 32A car. When I get the Taycan, I'll just swap the breaker to a 50A and swap out the EVSE. The wiring had to be 50A capable anyway, just it was safer to put in the 40A breaker since it was only supposed to be a 40A EVSE.

If you wiring is sized correctly for the 14-50 outlet, then you can upgrade the breaker. Probably depends on code when it was installed what gauge wire you have.

dannyfinley

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
Im planning on having a 50 amp 220V setup installed at my home garage for charging my Taycan. In doing some research its pretty simple to do the wire requirements for either 40 or 50 amp which calls for either a 6 or 4 gage wire. Length of the wire can be a factor but shouldnt be in a standard 25x25 garage so planning on a sound electrical setup is important as well as having a licensed professional do the work.
My question is, what is the wire size on the Mobile Charger Connect? I have downloaded the owners manual and it does not state what the wire size is. In looking at it (picture) Its hard to believe it is a 6 awg wire (at least) . Also in looking at some of the commercial charging stations like EA, it also looks like the wire size is smaller than a required size for a 40 or 50 amp circuit. Im just guessing because my car is not here yet, but wouldnt a smaller wire be a weak link in the charging system? I'm sure Porsche has this all figured out but that charging cable wire on the Mobil Charger looks very small.
Sponsored