Mobile Charger Connect stuck on connecting (110v)

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
We went to use our mobile Charger Connect from our 2020 Turbo this week for the first time(we have a chargepoint flex at home) at an Airbnb without a 240v.
We set the charger up, but it seems to get stuck at "connecting" on the screen and never make it past that step. Has anyone had this problem and know how to resolve it? The car pops up the charging screen, but the bar sits at "solid green" instead of the "animated green"

My understanding is we SHOULD be able to connect at 110v through the standard outlet in the garage, but I'm wondering if that is causing a problem?
Sponsored

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Have you ever used Mobile Charger Connect before this? It may need to be configured.

OP
OP

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Have you ever used Mobile Charger Connect before this? It may need to be configured.
This was the first time using it. But I think we configured it. It's fully setup and linked to our account.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Another question have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in? Mine easily gets confused and will not proceed to charge, even at 220. It is one of the reasons I hate "smart" chargers. Dumb ones just work.

OP
OP

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Another question have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in? Mine easily gets confused and will not proceed to charge, even at 220. It is one of the reasons I hate "smart" chargers. Dumb ones just work.
Yep. We have plugged it in and unplugged it several times. Two different outlets, and both sides of the garage. Same behavior:

"connecting" on unit,white border on unit, green in car(static, not animated) , but not charging.

Also tried connecting to its ip to look at its stats/settings, but it has a password to login and we have no idea what the password is

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Also tried connecting to its ip to look at its stats/settings, but it has a password to login and we have no idea what the password is
Password should have been on a white piece of paper in the instruction manuals in the packaging for the PMCC. That's where mine was.

OP
OP

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Password should have been on a white piece of paper in the instruction manuals in the packaging for the PMCC. That's where mine was.
Thanks, found it in a little envelope.

Interestingly I was able to get the charging to finally work by disabling "plc connection to vehicle".
It's now charging at a whopping 0.9kw.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Does your AirBNB have a 220v electric clothes drier? Is it anywhere near the garage? ;)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are a bit of a genius. It's right next to the garage. I'm wondering if the cable is long enough now....
Check the plug type before you get too excited....

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the event that the plug doesn't match, you might just consider tossing the PMCC rather than paying $700 for an adapter cable from Porsche (in the future).

For the price of a single Porsche adapter cable ($700) you can get a nice Mustart Travelmaster ($380) and up to 6 extra adapter cables ($49 each) to support a total of 8 different plug types (the TravelMaster comes with 2 in the box).

Nice charger, no magic BS, works well, supports both 120 and 220/240 charging, and is reasonably priced...

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You can also buy or build a NEMA 14-50 extension cord. Check RV supply places. Many years ago I spent < $50 on a 50' NEMA 14-50 extension and NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 14-50 adapter to charge at my brother's place. However a J1772 extension cord is more versatile - you don't have to take your PMCC with you.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can also buy or build a NEMA 14-50 extension cord. Check RV supply places. Many years ago I spent < $50 on a 50' NEMA 14-50 extension and NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 14-50 adapter to charge at my brother's place. However a J1772 extension cord is more versatile - you don't have to take your PMCC with you.
I actually have one of those for my Race trailer. ...and it is significantly cheaper.

However, the reason the J1772 extension cable is a better choice is that you can leave the charger box itself inside a building (and out of any wet weather) while you run the longer weatherproof charging cable out to the car. It rained for a couple of days while I was visiting a relative (using their drier socket) and I was quite happy I could keep the charger inside where it was nice and dry. The only thing that got wet was the weatherproof J1772 extension cable itself.

Why wouldn't you need to take the PMCC (or some other charger) with you? The J1772 extension cable doesn't have one built in... Unless your destination already has one...

Last edited:

ACGNerd

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan RWD in Frozen Blue Metallic
Country flag
Thanks, found it in a little envelope.

Interestingly I was able to get the charging to finally work by disabling "plc connection to vehicle".
It's now charging at a whopping 0.9kw.
That's so good... I cannot get my charger to work above 0.6kW... if I remove the 6A limit the charger will just bug out...
Sponsored