Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
I always, always have it on. I just wish it was louder. The normal Taycan sound is awesome, and turns a lot of heads by itself. Just. Be. Louder. There must be a way. :p

PS: Yes I know in Sport+ it's louder.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your car should be making sounds, a pedestrian warning, even when stationary, and moving at slow speeds like in a parking lot. Every Taycan has this feature since it is required by law, even Taycans without the Electric Sport Sound. You can't turn this feature off. If your car isn't making this pedestrian warning sound then you should have your dealer take a look.

Acoustic warning required by the legislator
In contrast, the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) at low speeds cannot be switched off. The installation of such a generator for warning noises in electric cars has been mandatory in the European Union (EU) since 1 July 2019. The EU regulation prescribes an Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) for the protection of other road users up to a speed of 20 km/h. A similar situation applies in China and Japan. The regulation defines highly detailed framework conditions on how an AVAS noise may and may not sound. This applies, for example, to the minimum and maximum volume as well as to certain noise components. The equivalent regulation in the USA even requires a warning sound when the vehicle is stationary and requires an increase in the noise level until 32 km/h is reached.

The Porsche engineers also adapted this sound so that it is as emotive, sporty and powerful as possible within the framework of the legal regulations. The AVAS is faded out above the legally required speed ranges up to about 50 km/h. When Electric Sport Sound is switched on, the AVAS sound and the emotive sports sound blend harmoniously with each other.

Note: Even with the warning sound, oblivious pedestrians may well still walk in front of your vehicle. I've had them do this to my ICE cars. Sometimes they just don't care and figure at slow speeds you have time to stop so just walk in front of cars.
Oh no. Thanks. I was aware of that but most people don’t hear that in a crowded parking lot

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
I always, always have it on. I just wish it was louder. The normal Taycan sound is awesome, and turns a lot of heads by itself. Just. Be. Louder. There must be a way. :p

PS: Yes I know in Sport+ it's louder.
Yep me too.

This thing is amazingly loud in an underground parking lot.

Reactions: Dee

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Yep me too.

This thing is amazingly loud in an underground parking lot.
Yeah whenever I stream myself driving there are always requests to punch it for the sound alone. :rock:

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Your car should be making sounds, a pedestrian warning, even when stationary, and moving at slow speeds like in a parking lot. Every Taycan has this feature since it is required by law, even Taycans without the Electric Sport Sound. You can't turn this feature off. If your car isn't making this pedestrian warning sound then you should have your dealer take a look.

Acoustic warning required by the legislator
In contrast, the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) at low speeds cannot be switched off. The installation of such a generator for warning noises in electric cars has been mandatory in the European Union (EU) since 1 July 2019. The EU regulation prescribes an Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) for the protection of other road users up to a speed of 20 km/h. A similar situation applies in China and Japan. The regulation defines highly detailed framework conditions on how an AVAS noise may and may not sound. This applies, for example, to the minimum and maximum volume as well as to certain noise components. The equivalent regulation in the USA even requires a warning sound when the vehicle is stationary and requires an increase in the noise level until 32 km/h is reached.

The Porsche engineers also adapted this sound so that it is as emotive, sporty and powerful as possible within the framework of the legal regulations. The AVAS is faded out above the legally required speed ranges up to about 50 km/h. When Electric Sport Sound is switched on, the AVAS sound and the emotive sports sound blend harmoniously with each other.

Note: Even with the warning sound, oblivious pedestrians may well still walk in front of your vehicle. I've had them do this to my ICE cars. Sometimes they just don't care and figure at slow speeds you have time to stop so just walk in front of cars.
A significant portion of pedestrians are indeed oblivious b/c they are hypnotized by their phones and seem to think they are invincible in that state of mind. They don't believe any car, ICE or EV, will actually hit them. That's why we have a horn. It came for free with the car and gets the job done just fine.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I don't get the comments saying the sound is fake. It is the *REAL* noise your electric motor is making. If you want to hear it better, turn the ES on, and the car will pipe (and slightly enhance) it via the speakers. I absolutely love it and use it every time I drive. Would spec'd it on any taycan if I order again.
My wife on the other hand doesn't like it as it is too loud for her. But she has never complained that it is weird since she understands and appreciates that it is the actual sound the motors of the car make.

So with that in mind, I think a made-up sound (like a V8) would be too gimmicky for me and would cheapen the car feel.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
On the video - where it pans to the rear view shot - it sounds the spitting image on my Mk4 Golf R32.

Personally, I am happy to leave that as a happy memory from 2003. I don't want my Taycan pretending it's from the past.

.....on that note, maybe they could make some horses feet clopping sounds? Gallop as you go fast ond canter as you slow down.... And a horsey snorting* noise when stopped just for good measure 🤣

*sorry I know Jack about horses!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
silence is golden. If I wanted the fake sounds many ice cars pipe in fake exhaust notes, I'd look at one of those for "real" ice engine noises.
the only engine noises that I enjoyed was on my diesel MBs

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A significant portion of pedestrians are indeed oblivious b/c they are hypnotized by their phones and seem to think they are invincible in that state of mind. They don't believe any car, ICE or EV, will actually hit them. That's why we have a horn. It came for free with the car and gets the job done just fine.
Stitched contrast leather horn option $1,349. Lol

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
On the video - where it pans to the rear view shot - it sounds the spitting image on my Mk4 Golf R32.

Personally, I am happy to leave that as a happy memory from 2003. I don't want my Taycan pretending it's from the past.

.....on that note, maybe they could make some horses feet clopping sounds? Gallop as you go fast ond canter as you slow down.... And a horsey snorting* noise when stopped just for good measure 🤣

*sorry I know Jack about horses!
Agree.

I bet Porsche has already considered many alternative sounds.
I prefer the sound the Porsche engineers have specifically selected to use on the Taycan, but this modification to the sound does open up the imagination to possibilities. An electric car pretending to be a V8 comes off as cheap and gimmicky.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Agree.

I bet Porsche has already considered many alternative sounds.
I prefer the sound the Porsche engineers have specifically selected to use on the Taycan, but this modification to the sound does open up the imagination to possibilities. An electric car pretending to be a V8 comes off as cheap and gimmicky.
My mate has got a Mustang Mach E and that has a fake V8 option.
It is absolutely pathetic in real life as it does just sound like an MP3 file and not a real V8 under the bonnet.

He admits its utter bobbins and never uses it, although he really loves the car.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Came across this.

I don't think it sounds better although it's defenately louder.
I prefer the original sound, especially in Sport Plus where it's even louder.

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2023 XC90 PHEV, 2022 Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Ick. Sounds like a V8, which I have always disliked. For sure, that's the last thing I would want my Taycan to sound like.

If they really want to sell something, come up with a mod for the stupid trunk sound. It blows my mind to read about the extensive effort Porsche made to come up with sounds for the car. Yet, choose the sound of a UPS truck backing up for the trunk opening sound. Not to disparage the UPS truck. It works on their trucks, an cement trucks.
Hahaha I thought this the first time I heard it open when the dealer was delivering my car and showing me the ropes. Quality fittings, quality design, nice materials, wow, wow, and then… unmarked white van in reverse.