More than 30 days in the shop - Advice requested

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
OK, so I have posted scattered details in a handful of threads.

My car went in to address a warning that I was receiving upon startup ("Emergency SOS Failure - Service Needed"). Took the car to the shop, and they identified that they needed a new part, which I believe is called either the OTA module or the control module (it would take a few weeks). That only took a few hours to identify, so I took the car back. When the part arrived, I took the car back in (on January 19). They estimated that I would have the car back that evening. They told me the next day, however, that they were having trouble getting the module to communicate/provision. This would take additional time. Every couple of days I receive updates on what they have tried, and what they are doing to try to get the thing to provision. But it is not working.

It has now been over 30 days and counting. I love the car, but it's of little use to me sitting in a dealer's service garage. So, I solicit advice from this reliable group of owners. Do I:
  1. Inquire about the possibility of the dealership giving me my money back, so I can just order another Taycan to replace this one (And presumably take the risk that the new one will have similar issues)?
  2. Give them more time and ask for a loaner Taycan during the interim?
  3. Something else?
Thoughts appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

My car went in to address a warning that I was receiving upon startup ("Emergency SOS Failure - Service Needed"). Took the car to the shop, and they identified that they needed a new part, which I believe is called either the OTA module or the control module (it would take a few weeks). That only took a few hours to identify, so I took the car back. When the part arrived, I took the car back in (on January 19). They estimated that I would have the car back that evening. They told me the next day, however, that they were having trouble getting the module to communicate/provision. This would take additional time. Every couple of days I receive updates on what they have tried, and what they are doing to try to get the thing to provision. But it is not working.

It has now been over 30 days and counting. I love the car, but it's of little use to me sitting in a dealer's service garage. So, I solicit advice from this reliable group of owners. Do I:
  1. Inquire about the possibility of the dealership giving me my money back, so I can just order another Taycan to replace this one (And presumably take the risk that the new one will have similar issues)?
  3. Something else?
Option 2 seems to be a reasonable first step for both parties concerned, provided there is a deadline to this "more time" such as two weeks. I doubt whether the dealer is stalling on purpose or not applying every reasonable effort so far because Porsche themselves probably have no good grasp of the issue and are therefore not able to guide their dealers to a lasting solution. Am I too gullible?

TontoTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
If you are interested in getting some type of reimbursement, contact Porsche North America who will work with you on this from my experience. Explain your situation. They will ask for details and contact your service dealership to verify. I would aim at least 3% of the vehicle price for over 30 days.

OP
OP

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you both. Part of the reason that I marked the 30 days is that 30 days of aggregate service for the same problem qualifies the car as a "lemon" in the State of New York. I am a little concerned that the car has a disclosable condition that will now affect its resale value down the road.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Option 2 seems to be a reasonable first step for both parties concerned, provided there is a deadline to this "more time" such as two weeks. I doubt whether the dealer is stalling on purpose or not applying every reasonable effort so far because Porsche themselves probably have no good grasp of the issue and are therefore not able to guide their dealers to a lasting solution. Am I too gullible?
I don't think that the dealer is stalling, he doesn't want cars cluttering up his shop. apparently this OTA issue is an ongoing issue that is proving tough to fix. the best thing, and what should be done, is that the dealer or Porsche NA get you into a very nice loaner car until your car is drivable.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag

3. Something else?
Request a buyback. You can use your $$ to purchase another car in same spec, or change spec if desired. Or, you can skip the Taycan and just buy another car.

I'd skip any loaners as there is no benefit other than a car to drive.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The lemon process is not the route you want to go.

Rather, Google search for PCNA executives email addresses. They aren't publicly listed but easy enough to track down. Pro tip.. they all use the same format so if you find one you can figure out the rest. Write an email explaining your problem and be polite but stern. Email it to as many execs as you can; marketing & customer relations are usually the most effective.

Have a plan of what you want. Have you lost faith in the car and want a buyback? Are you willing to wait longer but wqnt compensation for the trouble? 1-3% of your car's MSRP per 30 days is a reasonable place to be.

Compensation shouldn't be too difficult to get, buybacks require being a constant annoyance and adamant that your car is a lemon.

Your dealership can't do much. Public contacts for PCNA can't do much. But you'd be surprised how effectively things get done once an executive assigns an assistant to your case.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Absolutely get a loaner from them. It's pretty unconscionable to keep a car in the shop for 30 days without any compensation. Have them throw a 911 your way for the hassle! And definitely contact Porsche USA to get them on the case. Finally, good thinking about the Lemon Law--that may be your best recourse.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
have the car puchased as buy back under lemon law - written letter with dates/times and service records - request a full buy back and given them a deadline to respond by - get your money back and then buy another Taycan or something else....

have dealer provide a loaner until the date you sign title back over to Porsche on the buy back. Get a good loaner.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would also request an buyback from Porsche NA and a loaner from the dealer while the process was pending.
Whether I would buy another Taycan after that, it depends on how much progress the company makes in addressing the known issues with software updates and/or recalls.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

3. Something else?
What? Your Taycan is in shop and you don't even have a replacement during that time?
Option 2 is a min but in this case, I suggest Option 1 and also contact PCNA.

Also get a refund/break on lease+financial payments and if you paid in cash, should get some perks back.

OP
OP

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What? Your Taycan is in shop and you don't even have a replacement during that time?
I probably should have mentioned that I have other cars that I can use to get around. Just not the joy of driving my Taycan.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

3. Something else?

What dealership is this at?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have done the lemon law with a different luxury brand. The dealership was super cooperative and gave me a print out of all the issues with the car. I went to the hearing. The manufacturer's rep did not show up. The panel asked me if I wanted a replacement car or a refund. I chose the refund and they gave me everything back, including taxes, and the cost of all aftermarket add ons. I would do the lemon law before the deadline expires (time since purchase/mileage).
Sponsored