Motor Control Error Fix (2021)

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
Got the Motor Control Error with shutdown on highway a few weeks back. Cleared with power reset on side of road.
Reported to NHTSA and contacted dealer. Was planning a long trip in car, dealer received feedback from zone manager 'long distance travel not recommended' flew instead leaving car with a dealer while away. (Streets in New Orleans were in terrible shape, maybe the worst I have ever seen. Glad I was in a rental car, would not have driven a Taycan over those roads!)

Service applied a software fix, according to worksheet : TECH ATI #2 2113 Y1A.
Apparently updated 3 components, Front and Rear Power electronics and the DME.

Picked up car yesterday, time will tell.

If this happens to you, definitely report to NHTSA and get addressed even though it corrects itself immediately after power reset. Loss of power can be bad news.

Love the car; these issues will get resolved; I really only have one other nagging issue, one that i can live with. Separate post on topic.
Sponsored

OP
OP

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
Curious, did they tell you if this was problem was limited to your vehicle or are we looking at a software patch for all models?
The one thing that frightens me is how difficult it is to move the steering wheel when the car shuts down. This could be catastrophic if it happens in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I didn't get any feedback on other cars; I assumed since there was a fix that is was known as a problem. More reports are for post-update 2020 models but there are NHTSA reports (including mine) for 2021's. I agree; when mine shut down I was in the right lane so it was easy to get to the shoulder, happy I wasn't passing someone.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My new 2021 Taycan 4s arrived last week and I was planning on picking it up Saturday. I've been told that there is a AB5 Stop Delivery - Reprogramming Electronics hold on it and that the "update" will be available on Monday 6/28 or Tuesday 6/29.

Here are a couple of screen shots my sales rep sent me.
Porsche Taycan Motor Control Error Fix (2021) AMB5 Stop Delivery

Porsche Taycan Motor Control Error Fix (2021) AMB5 Update Description

I'm hopeful that this will fully address the Motor Control issue. (Sorry the second picture isn't more clear - this is what my Rep sent me.)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interestingly some cars (mine included) have already had their DME and Power Electronics modules updated after WMA5 so I don't know why they have to wait till June 28th. Maybe they expect a newer version? Who knows.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Man I sure wish we could see the affected VIN list on that.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My new 2021 Taycan 4s arrived last week and I was planning on picking it up Saturday. I've been told that there is a AB5 Stop Delivery - Reprogramming Electronics hold on it and that the "update" will be available on Monday 6/28 or Tuesday 6/29.

Here are a couple of screen shots my sales rep sent me.
AMB5 Stop Delivery.gif

AMB5 Update Description.gif

I'm hopeful that this will fully address the Motor Control issue. (Sorry the second picture isn't more clear - this is what my Rep sent me.)
I can't tell you how helpful this is. Your sales rep is to be praised for his transparency and knowledge. It's frustrating because the level of professionalism and expertise from dealer to dealer varies widely and veers in many cases towards irresponsibility. Thanks for posting.

RecoveringGT3Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Country flag
Many of us had our deliveries pushed back by a month. Do we think this could be related to this issue? It certainly seems possible they wanted to have a fix in place before they continued to build cars. Or it could just be general supply chain issues, but the timing is interesting.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What about MY2020?

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I emailed a contact of mine who works for Porsche to get the skinny on the AMB5 software update that is currently required before the dealers can release any newly arrived Taycans for sale. Here’s the details (edited for clarity):

“The AMB5 Stop Sale campaign is for sudden power loss which is due to faulty communication with the High Voltage Power Electronics system which needs to be reprogrammed via this update. The new software is available for most Taycans as of Friday. Most likely your dealer will complete the Stop Sale either Monday or Tuesday as the instructions were just released to the service teams for most Taycans.”

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters any further and I don't know if this is an update available to current owners. I'd recommend reaching out to your dealer to see if this is something they can perform on currently owned Taycans.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Many current owners including myselft (2020 with WMA5) have received an update for the Power Electronics and DME modules after we had WMA5. The update did not show up in Porsche's system as a recall or campaign when the service advisor checked (at least that was the case earlier this month) but it exists and it is applied if you complain that you had a power loss. I bet there is some internal document about it so the technicians know that they have to perform the update when there is a power loss complaint.

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
This is happening. I went to dealership today, and all Taycans were not eligible for test driver nor for pick up due to this patch. I wish the patch will put an end to this horrible bug.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The lack of OTA updates when you need it.. I guess every affected car will have to visit the service department.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Many current owners including myselft (2020 with WMA5) have received an update for the Power Electronics and DME modules after we had WMA5. The update did not show up in Porsche's system as a recall or campaign when the service advisor checked (at least that was the case earlier this month) but it exists and it is applied if you complain that you had a power loss. I bet there is some internal document about it so the technicians know that they have to perform the update when there is a power loss complaint.
Could you please post some details of your worksheet to help us ask for this Power electronics and DME module at service. I have scheduled an appointment on July 9th for this power loss that I had recently too (MY 2020 4S with WMA5 done in April)
Thanks

Reactions: KTC

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Could you please post some details of your worksheet to help us ask for this Power electronics and DME module at service. I have scheduled an appointment on July 9th for this power loss that I had recently too (MY 2020 4S with WMA5 done in April)
Thanks
DME and PE update performed about 3 weeks ago.
Porsche Taycan Motor Control Error Fix (2021) 20210628_213350
Sponsored