Motor vibration in stand still

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Over time, I have noticed that the car shakes a little when it stands still in front of intersections, for example when I wait for the green light. This only happens when the gear is engaged in "drive". It feels as if the electric motor is trying to push the car forward while the brakes are on. This is so obvious that both passengers and I find it annoying. It's somewhat like the car says, "Come on, I'm ready, what are you waiting for?"

I assume these are magnetic electric impulses from the rotating motor, but is it supposed to be like that, and so noticeable? Are these any of you others who have discovered the equivalent?

I am looking for input from users on this forum, before I possibly create a case for Porsche on this.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't noticed that but I have noticed some vibration from the A/c compressor fan from the front park of the vehicle. Are you sure it is the motor and not the A/c? You can test by turning off climate.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the EV motors do not have any power/torque when the car is at a stand still…this could be a cooling pump or some other motor - but there is should be no "pulsing" of the motors while the car is stationary…

might want service to take a look at it…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for your tip.

Yes, I have tried with AC off, so that's not the culprit. It's quite severe, also visible in a water bottle in the cupholder, meaning its av definitely an unwanted vibration. This issue is not there constantly, I recon about 50% of the time, but only in stand still. I suspect something is not right.

Could it perhaps have something to do with engine failure, making vehicle stopping at the highway. This issue is yet not solved, however I only had two unwanted stops as of yet.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV: Your explanation "pulsing" of the motors while the car is stationary… describes it perfectly.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you sure you aren’t just being chased by a dinosaur?
I forgot to check in the rear mirror, but that could of course be one possible explanation. It sure feels as if ;)

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another comparison is the feeling of a child kicking in the seat behind you on board the plane. Could be my wife actually, not happy being placed in the back seat ? I don't dear to ask!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t notice anything like this.

I’ve seen similar issues on motors in industrial control system and it’s usually caused by noise on the encoder feedback. I’m not saying that’s for sure what your issues is, but it’s one of the first things I check on this type of problem.

The motor would have to be actively holding a zero position at a stop though, and I don’t know if they do that. I would guess they would just use the brakes.

Does anyone know if the car uses the motors or brakes for holding at a stop?

Beyond that, maybe it’s an issue with the input from the accelerator pedal.

It sounds like it’s worth having your dealer check it out.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my 2020 Taycan does not do this - and I do not believe Porsche is using the EV motors as a "hold" function - service visit sounds in order if it's reproducible…could the floor mats be "resting" on the accelerator?

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jhenson29: Thanks for the input. There may be a connection, because after the car has stopped twice on the highway, Porsche synchronized the front and rear engines. In this regard, it could be a fault during that synchronising process. I will report this to the workshop, and ask that this be investigated further.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
daveo4EV: No unfortunately, my floor mats are attached correctly.

This vibration/pulsing issue occurs more often in flat terrain, or slightly uphill, than when level slopes down.

Pouria

First Name
Pouria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT4S, had Taycan 4S 2020.
Country flag
I had a similar shaking happen to me at some times. Fast charging or sport plus. It turned out it was dirt and grime stuck on the cooling fan blades...? I had them taking a look and they found a lot of gravel trapped in front of the wheels and mud baked on the fan blades.

I now days try to clean that area through the air intakes in the wheel house with water. Usually flushes out small stones and grime. Not so happy about this design to be honest.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Pouria: Thanks. I make a note of it, and check that out as well.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
@Arno I know exactly what you’re talking about. The pulsing is like the auto creep trying to engage while the breaks are depressed. I would experience this intermittently at intersections waiting for a stoplight or stop sign. I haven’t experienced it after the update. I was just talking with my wife in the car and wondered if the update sorted it, but I honestly haven’t put that many miles on mine after getting it back. Has yours been updated?
Sponsored