Moving from a 911 to a Taycan?

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went from a 991.2 Targa 4s to the T4S. Different indeed! In a way you can’t compare (which is your favourite child?) but I have to say I am really enjoying the T4S more after two months of ownership than the 911 after two months a few years ago. (Just don’t mention the Taycan PCM to me — that might change my mood.).

If I ever go back to a 911 it would have to be a Turbo S!
Funny that you say that about the turbo s. I have a 2018 turbo s coupe. I bought new with 20 miles on it. After almost 3 years of ownership and only 6000 miles on it, I’m considering a TTS. I don’t track. I wish often on road trips I was in something other than my truck. I only use my car for fun around town on weekends. My worries about the TTS is range and that I’d miss my 911 turbo s. I can only have 1 of these vehicles. More than likely at 54 years of age and retirement in my near future, this will be my last Porsche. When you say if you went back to a 911, it would be a turbo s. That makes me think I should stay put. Would love to hear from anyone on my delima. Thank you
Sponsored

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Totally different machines. I just bought a Taycan 3 weeks ago and it’s been amazing. I ordered a new 911 turbo s which was delayed in the us from epa clearance. I started thinking “maybe I don’t need the 911 now.” However yesterday I took delivery of the 911 and glad to be keeping both.

88177219-7FDC-40E2-A0EA-04425CE7B024.jpeg

4EEEA9B7-3B2E-41E2-A7A2-2441B6BE4C56.jpeg
Funny that you say that about the turbo s. I have a 2018 turbo s coupe. I bought new with 20 miles on it. After almost 3 years of ownership and only 6000 miles on it, I’m considering a TTS. I don’t track. I wish often on road trips I was in something other than my truck. I only use my car for fun around town on weekends. My worries about the TTS is range and that I’d miss my 911 turbo s. I can only have 1 of these vehicles. More than likely at 54 years of age and retirement in my near future, this will be my last Porsche. When you say if you went back to a 911, it would be a turbo s. That makes me think I should stay put. Would love to hear from anyone on my delima. Thank you
I would just say try them both and then decide what to buy. I drove them both and I prefer TTS above 911 turbo s. It is extremely fast and comfortabel. For track I would take something lighter than the 911 t s for instance 718 gt 4

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would just say try them both and then decide what to buy. I drove them both and I prefer TTS above 911 turbo s. It is extremely fast and comfortabel. For track I would take something lighter than the 911 t s for instance 718 gt 4
Thanks for the feedback

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Well I think I would want both ;-) i.e keep the T4S and get the 911 Turbo S for... No rhyme or reason. But if you have the 911 it is easy to drive to the dealer, get out of it and into a TTS for maybe an extended test drive and see how you feel.

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I aop
Well I think I would want both ;-) i.e keep the T4S and get the 911 Turbo S for... No rhyme or reason. But if you have the 911 it is easy to drive to the dealer, get out of it and into a TTS for maybe an extended test drive and see how you feel.
[/QUOT

I appreciate the feedback. I’m several hours away from a Porsche dealership. I’ve always made deals over the phone and had delivered and take my trade back. I have a dealership ready to do that now. The obvious problem is no test drive this way.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Well a big decision — especially if you say this is your last big car purchase — to just do on paper. Would think worth the drive as would be horrible if you did not ending up loving the TTS. And as this is the Taycan Forum and not the 911 Forum, I think we might be biased.

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well a big decision — especially if you say this is your last big car purchase — to just do on paper. Would think worth the drive as would be horrible if you did not ending up loving the TTS. And as this is the Taycan Forum and not the 911 Forum, I think we might be biased.
i kinda thought it would be biased, but I also figured someone else might’ve gone through the same thing. Is finding places to charge fairly easy?

Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
I owned a Cayenne and a 991 4S before and I only missed the sound the first 2 weeks, but now
I can't imagine ever switching back to a non electric car.

Nearly everything is better than before and the normal 911 looks so oldschool
I have both the 4s and a 911 Targa 4s. They are simply different cars for different purposes. Apples and oranges. I will never be without my 911 and I have a Heritage 992 Targa on order. Need to sell my 2018 4s. Too many Porsche's if that's possible.

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have both the 4s and a 911 Targa 4s. They are simply different cars for different purposes. Apples and oranges. I will never be without my 911 and I have a Heritage 992 Targa on order. Need to sell my 2018 4s. Too many Porsche's if that's possible.
Thank you for some insight.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Is finding places to charge fairly easy?
the common use case for _ANY_ EV is charge at home overnight like your cell phone - wake up in the morning and it’s full and ready for the day

therefore you rarely use public charging - except when roadtripping - and then it’s only one or two 30 minute stops a day to drive 500-700 miles…and pick a hotel with EV charging to charge again overnight…

once you go EV you can’t go back and few if any people “miss” visiting the gas station.

my family has driven over 250,000 miles across various EV’s over the past 7+ years - and I’d have to say we’ve used public charging less than 50 times in 7 years - 99% of your personal transportation needs will be taken care of by at home in-garage charging…

that is the real reason range doesn’t really matter - daily usage is rarely more than 220-240 miles a day (typically 60 miles or less) - so while you have 240-270 miles range in a Taycan - 360 days a year you never use more than 80 miles of that range - and then you top the car off overnight in your garage - and do it again the next day.

once you get an EV you deal with it differently than a gas car - and the 1st thing is - you simply don’t need to charge out the wild - cause you’ll be back at home that night.

Last edited:

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the common use case for _ANY_ EV is charge at home overnight like your cell phone - wake up in the morning and it’s full and ready for the day

therefore you rarely use public charging - except when roadtripping - and then it’s only one or two 30 minute stops a day to drive 500-700 miles…and pick a hotel with EV charging to charge again overnight…

once you go EV you can’t go back and few if any people “miss” visiting the gas station.

my family has driven over 250,000 miles across various EV’s over the past 7+ years - and I’d have to say we’ve used public charging less than 50 times in 7 years - 99% of your personal transportation needs will be taken care of by at home in-garage charging…

that is the real reason range doesn’t really matter - daily usage is rarely more than 220-240 miles a day (typically 60 miles or less) - so while you have 240-270 miles range in a Taycan - 360 days a year you never use more than 80 miles of that range - and then you top the car off overnight in your garage - and do it again the next day.

once you get an EV you deal with it differently than a gas car - and the 1st thing is - you simply don’t need to charge out the wild - cuase you’ll be back at home that night.
Amazing answer. Thank you!

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, 911 Turbo 991.2, Lambo Gallardo, F 458
Country flag
New to the forum and have a question to anyone whose moved on from a 911 to a Taycan. I’m in my annual winter (& Covid) sequestration when I typically get the itch for a new toy. Currently drive a 2017 Targa 4s and very interested by the Taycan and will be look at a couple of new 4s arrivals at my dealership this weekend. Before I head out, I’d would love to hear from anyone whose done the same and if you’ve had any buyers remorse afterwards! (or the maybe the opposite) I realize that they are two different beasts but its a “Sophies choice” for me, cant have both.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks
I’ve had a 991.2 Turbo since last summer and absolutely love it. I just swapped out my Tesla for a Taycan as my daily driver, and I can tell you without a shadow the doubt, I prefer driving the Taycan any day. Just got back on a road trip with it, and it drives a like a prince on the highway. Best. Car.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Had a 992 C4S for about 2 months* while my Taycan Turbo S was in the shop for repairs.
The sound and handling are great but other than that it felt "outdated", rough, slow (yes, really), unsophisticated.
I thought I would never say that of a modern 911...(still, I set my PR in this C4S: 305km/h).

In other words, the Taycan is really that good.
A Taycan Turbo S is a well sophisticated beast, enjoying every single km.

*small collision (rear ended) mainly cuz there were no spare parts available at that time, apr 2020.

Roy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
Stay with the 911 until the taycan is develloped complete.
Taycan 2020 has a awfull lot of technical problems. Some of them they can not fix. That is why the updated 2021 is presented so soon.
MY2021 has a little less problems but still has.
I had a 2020 and now a 2021 Taycan.
When the Taycan drives and the 12 battery is working, charging is possible, pcm is working, spoiler is not bending, phone is working etc, it is driving excelent...
Unfortunately that is not often the case...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Is finding places to charge fairly easy?
the answer to this is yes also - there are several apps that are super helpful for finding charging stations - Plugshare, ChargePoint, EVGo, ElectrifyAmerica, A Better Route Planner just to name a few. So while you do not use public charging very often if you are charging at home overnight - when you do need to find a charger it’s pretty straight forward - and once you start looking there tend to be a surprising amount of stations - and over time there are going to be more EV charging stations, not fewer - so it will only get better.

also the built-in navigation in the car can also help you find stations, as can AppleMaps, GoogleMaps, Waze

there is a robust digitial EcoSystem that exists and is improving in support of EV charging and helping people find a charger they can use when it’s necessary.
Sponsored