Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Lucid is not my cup of tea, but I’m glad they are coming to market and I agree with others “The more EV’s, the merrier!” It would be a mistake to think that because it is expensive and first year for a new company that they can’t make a quality, reliable product though. I bought something similar called a Tesla Model S P85 in 2012 after owning a Panamera 4S, and it was a great car and utterly reliable for me for over 60,000 miles. Followed that with a P100D, and had the same experience. Yes, you are definitely an early adopter with Lucid and may have issues, but as a happy Taycan and Tesla owner, Tesla has shown in my opinion how a new car company can be successful. That success is also the reason we now have the Taycan, Lucid, Polestar, Rivian, E-Tron, etc. I can’t wait for the real reviews on all these new cars to come out.
It is worth pointing out for those who were unaware, but Peter Rawlinson, who is the CEO and CTO of Lucid, is an ex-Tesla employee and basically the father of the Model S. From his bio:

" Prior to Lucid, Peter was Vice President of Vehicle Engineering at Tesla and Chief Engineer of the Model S, where he led the engineering of the Model S from a clean sheet to production readiness while building the engineering team. "

That was nearly a decade ago. Certainly the Air is a reflection of how far things have come technically since then, with many, many lessons learned.

As for Lucid failing financially, there is always that risk. However the EV marketplace is SO different than it was a decade ago and everyone is eager to invest in a stock that will become "The Next Tesla". So I would suspect having your CEO be the guy who birthed the Model S would give you a leg up if you needed to find some investors.
Sponsored

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
At the risk of sounding presumptuous, it seems like the only reason this conversation even exists is because Lucid is a $100,000+ EV (and so is the Taycan). In other words, 10 years ago, how many people were considering the Panamera vs an S-Class/A8/7-series? Maybe they existed but I didn't know any of them. Anybody who I knew looking at the Panamera was also considering an M5 or an A7 RS.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At the risk of sounding presumptuous, it seems like the only reason this conversation even exists is because Lucid is a $100,000+ EV (and so is the Taycan). In other words, 10 years ago, how many people were considering the Panamera vs an S-Class/A8/7-series? Maybe they existed but I didn't know any of them. Anybody who I knew looking at the Panamera was also considering an M5 or an A7 RS.
I think the reason it exists is, when asked in several questions, Jonny Lieberman said he thought the Lucid out-handled a Taycan.

Jonny is who he is but he does have Taycan experience and also said that the Panamera ST Turbo S EHybrid is way, way better handling wise than an E63 Wagon or an RS 6. So it's not like he's anti-Porsche or anything.

MotorTrend said:
The story is the same for braking. The Audi RS6 stopped from 60 mph in an un-supercar-like 113 feet. Not a bad number, but most high-performance machines are much closer to 100 feet. Take the AMG E63 S wagon at 104 feet. See? The Porsche wagon was best, stopping in just 102 feet. Then there's the figure-eight test, where the Audi tied the AMG, each completing the 1,600-foot lap in 24.2 seconds, though the Mercedes' road-holding is a touch higher, 0.83 versus 0.81 g. The Porsche smacked the other two here, with a time of 23.6 seconds at 0.86 g. To put into context how insane of a figure-eight that is (and really to show how great all three cars are), an Acura NSX takes 23.8 seconds. Mid-engine Corvette? We've tested two top-spec 3 LT Z51 models; one did a 23.6, the other a 23.3. Man, the Porsche is nuts.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...turbo-s-sport-turismo-comparison-test-review/

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the reason it exists is, when asked in several questions, Jonny Lieberman said he thought the Lucid out-handled a Taycan.
Wouldn't be surprised if Johnny is driving around in a new car soon ?

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
There are too many cars to list that could be considered competitors in this space.

BMW 5/7/8
Audi A6/A7/A8
MB E/S/CLS
Jaguar
Lexus
Maserati
Panamera / Taycan
Model S

There is a huge variety of luxury, performance, size, etc.

Each price point changes the equation as well. At the base level, Lucid is going to offer a $75k version which will be competitive against a Taycan RWD, Model S, 5-series, A6, etc. Someone at this price point probably cares less about ultimate performance.

Lucid will be cross-shopped by many Taycan buyers if they deliver on their specs.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Fair point, although when the Panamera was introduced as a new model 10 years ago it was from a manufacturer with a great reputation who had already been building cars for 60 years, not a startup.

Maybe Lucid can pull it off and follow Tesla's successful example. OTOH, Tesla had the field pretty much to themselves while Lucid now faces numerous, well established competitors.

There are folks who say to never purchase the first year of a new car. I think that goes double or triple with regard to a first model from a brand new car company. If I had any interest in the Lucid I'd wait at least a couple of years before putting down my money, but that's just me.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fair point, although when the Panamera was introduced as a new model 10 years ago it was from a manufacturer with a great reputation who had already been building cars for 60 years, not a startup.
Sorry, my mistake for not being more clear. I wasn't trying to suggest that the Panamera was a startup concept like Lucid is. What I was trying to say is that the Panamera was a legitimate 4-door sports car, the likes of which you'd compare with an M5. I don't see the Lucid as trying to be a 4-door sports car. Looks like it wants to be a luxury sedan. So in a more mature field like ICE cars, I wouldn't think many are cross shopping a 4-door sports car with a luxury cruiser. Does that make sense?

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are too many cars to list that could be considered competitors in this space.

BMW 5/7/8
Audi A6/A7/A8
MB E/S/CLS
Jaguar
Lexus
Maserati
Panamera / Taycan
Model S

There is a huge variety of luxury, performance, size, etc.
Interesting. I wouldn't think anybody who's in the market for an M5 would also be thinking about a 7-series or an S-Class. But I do like that you put the Model S at the bottom ? (j/k)

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
His review of the vehicle verges on religious fanaticism, as if he can barely contain himself with multiple superlatives about how great this-or-that is.

As he liked to say in the article, "here's the kicker": no word on WHEN these will hit the streets.

Let me repeat that: bring in an enthusiastic reviewer, have him drive a gussied and fussed-over pre-production model, and NOT TELL ANYONE when you can actually BUY ONE.

* sigh * it's the same old EV P.T. Barnum circus side-show.

Now WHICH vehicle looks absolutely f*king silly? The stupid Lucid.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go drive around in my absolutely gorgeous Taycan 4S (which is actually a REAL production car, like, it physically EXISTS) and forget about this Lucid "vaporwagen".

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Sorry, my mistake for not being more clear. I wasn't trying to suggest that the Panamera was a startup concept like Lucid is. What I was trying to say is that the Panamera was a legitimate 4-door sports car, the likes of which you'd compare with an M5. I don't see the Lucid as trying to be a 4-door sports car. Looks like it wants to be a luxury sedan. So in a more mature field like ICE cars, I wouldn't think many are cross shopping a 4-door sports car with a luxury cruiser. Does that make sense?
Absolutely. Sorry I misinterpreted your post the first time around.

Reactions: cfp

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wouldn't be surprised if Johnny is driving around in a new car soon ?
Meh, having listened to him on The Smoking Tire podcast and also on Spikes Car Radio, I feel like he’s pretty straightforward although somewhat prone to over exaggeration.

Thor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla S
Country flag
Small trunk opening? You sure you thinking about a Lucid Air?

Lucid-Air-Trunk-2048x1144-1.jpg
It looks big in the pictures. But, you have to see it live to understand the issue. It is deep, but the opening is weird. I found it not very appealing, and my wife really hated the boot. Maybe it could just be different tastes.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Meh, having listened to him on The Smoking Tire podcast and also on Spikes Car Radio, I feel like he’s pretty straightforward although somewhat prone to over exaggeration.
even professionals can have weird takes on a vehicle that don’t agree with the owners or market consensus. The initial reviews of the McLaren 765LT look nothing like the owners’ consensus. It’s still not clear how well the 992 gt3 will fare on typical public roads, but whatever the answer is about half of these professional reviews will be wrong.

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
Exactly. As nice as the range, tech and materials may be - it'll never be a Porsche. There is no substitute......
Impressive though the Lucid looks, I don't remember it racing at Le Mans. Porsche's motor racing heritage is what I love about it. The Taycan is no 911, but it is much closer to one than the Lucid.
Sponsored