Must have options in Sweden / Nordics

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I am putting together a spec for a Turbo Cross Turismo and I am wondering about the following options:

22KW AC Charger - the charger I will put in my garage would be capable but I am wondering whether it's worth it more for travelling around. I don't need to the extra speed when at home.

Full PPF rather than part PPF. there is a lot of small stones around and I am thinking its worth it. Plus I have had several others hit my car with their car doors in the past, plus scratches down the side. Maybe it will help.

Electric charging cover - mainly to cover up the ducts so that small stones don't make it through, but perhaps its not a problem?

Porsche Intelligent Range manager - really not sure.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
22 kW AC option - do you have plenty of DC charging available to you, if so then you are less likely to need it? For home charging it really is a nice to have assuming you have the infrastructure to support.

Be careful with selecting it as there is now an advisory on using it when on single phase (rather than 3). Expensive for what it is but if you are likely to encounter more 22 kW AC EVSEs than DC EVSEs in your travels then give it some due consideration.

Electric Charge Port covers conveniently get rid of the potential for flying stones to pass through the (pointless, don't buy the aero benefit argument) gap and place a mesh in there also. People have reported chips with standard charge port covers. Besides they are cool so I'd tick the box.

PPF seems a no brainer given the conditions you describe - frontal (and mirrors ) would seem adequate but I think most people opt for full PPF if they want to have it applied at all.

PIRM is worth having - enhances Porsche Charging Planner and does a reasonable job. Not expensive IMHO. The overall challenge is the weakness in the available charging destinations listed in the planner to begin with - you get this by default but the Porsche propaganda machine continues to advise that it is constantly updated....well I've sat parked in front of a public EVSE which still hasn't featured in the list in the past 12 months, so don't expect perfection. The workaround it to use the in built Google Search (before reverting to 3rd party mobile apps).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It is bery much dependent on your use case. Only you can say where you will and how you will drive.

I would have got the 22 kW charger, since I drive around a lot here in France and there are thousands and thousands of these around. Thanks to the popular ZOE. Nice to be able to get a good charge while having a nice relaxed lunch.

PPF if you have problems with people opening doors without regard for your car, use get it full. If only for gravel and small stones, front will be enough..

The electric charge cover is nice but it is also an item that can give some trouble with dirt, salt and perhaps snow and ice.

However I would strongly recommend the 150 kW 400 volt charger. If you plan to travel ip north I. Sweden or into Norway, and if Tesla opens their network, you will be smiling. It is also not an expensive option.

PIRM I would skip. Just look at all the comments about Porsche developed software in these forums. Not very impressive. And then to think that they would “”optimise”” your route planning?? It is an option you can download and try for a small fee later on if you so wish. I have tried it once and will never consider trying it again.

OP
OP

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
22 kW AC option - do you have plenty of DC charging available to you, if so then you are less likely to need it? For home charging it really is a nice to have assuming you have the infrastructure to support.

Be careful with selecting it as there is now an advisory on using it when on single phase (rather than 3). Expensive for what it is but if you are likely to encounter more 22 kW AC EVSEs than DC EVSEs in your travels then give it some due consideration.

Electric Charge Port covers conveniently get rid of the potential for flying stones to pass through the (pointless, don't buy the aero benefit argument) gap and place a mesh in there also. People have reported chips with standard charge port covers. Besides they are cool so I'd tick the box.

PPF seems a no brainer given the conditions you describe - frontal (and mirrors ) would seem adequate but I think most people opt for full PPF if they want to have it applied at all.

PIRM is worth having - enhances Porsche Charging Planner and does a reasonable job. Not expensive IMHO. The overall challenge is the weakness in the available charging destinations listed in the planner to begin with - you get this by default but the Porsche propaganda machine continues to advise that it is constantly updated....well I've sat parked in front of a public EVSE which still hasn't featured in the list in the past 12 months, so don't expect perfection. The workaround it to use the in built Google Search (before reverting to 3rd party mobile apps).
That's the thing, I am not really sure in Sweden whether I will end up using 22kW AC option when travelling around, I have looked on a charger map and it seems there is a lot of 22kW and below chargers around but I am fairly sure that I can mainly try and use DC charging when on the move.

Haven't seen the advisory and a quick Google didn't turn up much, but I know in my house I have 3 phase with 25Amp fuses on each phase.

PIRM is something I can add on afterwards isn't it, so maybe I will see what the total of all the other options I want will be first.

Thanks for the help.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Here is a screen shot of some of the popular skiing areas around Östersund. There are quite a number of 22 kW stations around there. If these type of areas are your targets, I would get 22 kW. It is such a difference charging compared to 11 kW. Orange pins show 22 kW and blue are 50 kW.
Porsche Taycan Must have options in Sweden / Nordics 221A260C-0A82-410F-848F-8A0A3E2C5035

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Other factor to consider with PPF is how the paint under the film will compare with film left exposed over time. Paint fade in those areas not covered. I have gone both approaches, wish I had done full PPF both times….

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That's the thing, I am not really sure in Sweden whether I will end up using 22kW AC option when travelling around, I have looked on a charger map and it seems there is a lot of 22kW and below chargers around but I am fairly sure that I can mainly try and use DC charging when on the move.

Haven't seen the advisory and a quick Google didn't turn up much, but I know in my house I have 3 phase with 25Amp fuses on each phase.

PIRM is something I can add on afterwards isn't it, so maybe I will see what the total of all the other options I want will be first.

Thanks for the help.
Advisory is on the configurator when you look at the details of the 22kW option. Appeared on UK and US configurator so likely to be a universal issue - worth checking.

911mantas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo
Country flag
1. 22kW is a must option nowadays;
2. For me just front is enough;
3. Electric charging cover is a must;
4. No

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
1. Country specific - not a must have in UK.
I would question the need for 22kW charger in Norway. Not only is the option expensive but here in Norway we will now have a component of the electricity bill that is related to maximum power used. So if you use the 22kW charger you get charged an extra 40€/month. On the road 50kW CCS chargers are ubiquitously available. Of course, if you use a lot of hotel destination chargers then it might be a different matter.

Having lived in Canada for a number of years I can tell you that roads here are orders of magnitude cleaner. Gritters in North America always seem to insist on using a good percentage of decent sized rocks in their mix which explains why most people opt for PPF. Given the price-tag I skipped it myself here in Norway but that's for a CT4 rather than a Turbo.

Going from A to B in Norway there typically aren't that many route choices so I'm not convinced the PIRM is bringing that much to the table. Then again, not very expensive.

Last edited:

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
In Sweden and the 22 kW charger is not needed in my opinion. Been driving an EV since 2016 and the ~60km/h of range you get from the standard charger is plenty.
I’m going for the full PPF, also makes the car much easier to maintain.
Also getting the electric charge cover, mainly because it looks cool, and knowing myself, I’d probably forget to close the manual one.

The intelligent range manager is mainly good for charging optimization during trips from what I understand. Did not opt for it but may get it OTA later.

OP
OP

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies and the map! That is just the kind of information that I needed.

Might decide on whether we start going skiing more, and if so 22kW might be worth it but I don't like that I need the Mobile Charger Connect.

Full PPF I think I will do with the electric charge cover just to cover in the wheels.

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 4S cab, CT 4S Gentian Blue
Country flag
I am putting together a spec for a Turbo Cross Turismo and I am wondering about the following options:

22KW AC Charger - the charger I will put in my garage would be capable but I am wondering whether it's worth it more for travelling around. I don't need to the extra speed when at home.

Full PPF rather than part PPF. there is a lot of small stones around and I am thinking its worth it. Plus I have had several others hit my car with their car doors in the past, plus scratches down the side. Maybe it will help.

Electric charging cover - mainly to cover up the ducts so that small stones don't make it through, but perhaps its not a problem?

Porsche Intelligent Range manager - really not sure.
IMO after having my CT4S for about three weeks
Standard 11 kw charger is just fine and good enough for over night charging and should be sufficient even at hotel AC destination charging. On road trips you will definitely opt for the DC chargers.
Re PPF, I had Porsche Center do the front part, threshold at all doors and the back trunk. The rest they did a ceramic protection coating.
I got the electric charging port and so far it works just fine even with snow and ice. Didn't like to have an open port protruding out.
Was recommended even by Porsche to skip the "none" intelligent range manager.

Good luck with journey in getting your Taycan.
Sponsored