Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks to daveo4EV, I ordered the Mustart TravelMaster. Specifically:

GEN 2 Intelligent Plug Identification Auto-Adjust Max Safe Current MUSTART TRAVELMASTER Level2 EV Charger

I just wanted to leave a quick review - this was the only charger I found that offered a 2-in-1 solution for me.

1. I can use it as a permanent home charger, mounting it in their holder (see picture).
2. When needed, I can grab the NEMA-5-15 adapter (standard US plug) and use it as a mobile charger.

For $369, the price can't be beat. The cable seems to made very well, and the charger arrived within 2 days (shipped in an amazon box for some reason - I ordered from Mustart directly). Their customer service was also very helpful and responsive. I would highly recommend it.

Porsche Taycan Mustart Charger Review 20201231_171408 (002)
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I've been using and recommending the 32A Mustart Travelmaster for years. Its a good bit of kit. Inexpensive and very flexible. I also have their 40A plug-in (Nema 6-50) charger which I leave mounted in my garage. They both work very well!

I actually contacted them a couple of months ago to see if they would give us (Taycan Owners) a group coupon (discount). However, I could not get them to give us more than $10 additional dollars in addition to the $20 everyone normally gets on their web site ($30 total). I was hoping we could do better, and even requested perhaps a coupon/inclusion of a free adapter cable ($49). They kept asking what I wanted for myself and I think they were somewhat confused when I told them I didn't want a personal commission or anything and just to roll it back into the discount for the group. I haven't heard anything from them in a while and since I couldn't get much more than a standard discount I did not follow it up further. If folks are interested I can try and open this discussion again...

{updated for accuracy}

Last edited:
OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've been using and recommending the 32A Mustart Travelmaster for years. Its a good bit of kit. Inexpensive and very flexible. I also have their 40A plug-in (Nema 6-50) charger which I leave mounted in my garage. They both work very well!

I actually contacted them a couple of months ago to see if they would give us (Taycan Owners) a group coupon (discount). However, I could not get them lower than 15% off list (when you can get 10% normally on their web site). I was hoping we could do better, and even requested perhaps a coupon/inclusion of a free adapter cable ($49). They kept asking what I wanted for myself and I think they were somewhat confused when I told them I didn't want a personal commission or anything and just to roll it back into the discount for the group. I haven't heard anything from them in a while and since I couldn't get much more than a standard discount I did not follow it up further. If folks are interested I can try and open this discussion again...
They supposedly had a BF sale where you get the holder for free. But I agree, a group deal would be great. Let me chat with them about it.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

I actually contacted them a couple of months ago to see if they would give us (Taycan Owners) a group coupon (discount). However, I could not get them lower than 15% off list (when you can get 10% normally on their web site). I was hoping we could do better, and even requested perhaps a coupon/inclusion of a free adapter cable ($49). They kept asking what I wanted for myself and I think they were somewhat confused when I told them I didn't want a personal commission or anything and just to roll it back into the discount for the group. I haven't heard anything from them in a while and since I couldn't get much more than a standard discount I did not follow it up further. If folks are interested I can try and open this discussion again...
I am quite happy with the Mustart Travelmaster that I keep in the trunk of my Taycan for on-the-road purposes (which is never with this damned COVID).

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They supposedly had a BF sale where you get the holder for free. But I agree, a group deal would be great. Let me chat with them about it.
Send me a PM and I'll give you the contact info for the gal I was working with on this...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just pulled up my last correspondence. The discount was not percentage based, it was a dollar amount...

They were offering an additional $10 over the $20 they normally offer everyone on their web site (so $30 total). They said they would create a "TAYCAN" coupon code if I thought this was a good offer. $10 additional dollars seemed pretty measly for potentially bringing a group of buyers to the table and they didn't seem keen to up their offer. I just let it go...

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just pulled up my last correspondence. The discount was not percentage based, it was a dollar amount...

They were offering an additional $10 over the $20 they normally offer everyone on their web site (so $30 total). They said they would create a "TAYCAN" coupon code if I thought this was a good offer. $10 additional dollars seemed pretty measly for potentially bringing a group of buyers to the table and they didn't seem keen to up their offer. I just let it go...
Agreed. I'll ping them to see if they want to do more. I already have one (and I don't even have a car yet), so I think I'm good - but it can't hurt to help others. The Porsche one I almost ordered was 4x more money for less utility.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am quite happy with the Mustart Travelmaster that I keep in the trunk of my Taycan for on-the-road purposes (which is never with this damned COVID).
Hey, driving and road trips is one of the few things you CAN do in relative isolation if you plan your end-points appropriately!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hey, driving and road trips is one of the few things you CAN do in relative isolation if you plan your end-points appropriately!
True, but I am longing for some social interaction at the other end of my trip. For example, I have not seen one of my kids for over a year. Counting the days (weeks, months?) until I can get vaccinated.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True, but I am longing for some social interaction at the other end of my trip. For example, I have not seen one of my kids for over a year. Counting the days (weeks, months?) until I can get vaccinated.
ahh, so not so much the "driving" and "road trips' part, but more the "visitation" part? ;)

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I think many Taycan owners will be interested in a good mobile charger for road trips ”just in case”. With a little more enticement I would buy a Mustart after reading about it here on the forum. Would buy 30 and 50 amp RV plugs. I think Mustart would be wise to offer more than a $10 discount. I have mounted my Porsche mobile charger in my garage and don’t want to unplug it for a trip. BTW I also have an exterior ChargePoint hard wired at my ski place and it works well.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think many Taycan owners will be interested in a good mobile charger for road trips ”just in case”. With a little more enticement I would buy a Mustart after reading about it here on the forum. Would buy 30 and 50 amp RV plugs. I think Mustart would be wise to offer more than a $10 discount. I have mounted my Porsche mobile charger in my garage and don’t want to unplug it for a trip. BTW I also have an exterior ChargePoint hard wired at my ski place and it works well.
I spoke to them about this - the best they offered was coupon code "JoAN" which is good for $20 off. Feel free to use it if needed - I don't think it has any max redemption limits.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Have not found a charger at this price in Europe. At that price point I would indeed put that in the frunk/froot for travelling just in case there is nothing faster close by. Everything I have seen is in the EUR1.000 range.

yuanshiang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
just curious, are people buying this in lieu of the Porsche charger or in addition to? if the latter, why not just use the Porsche one?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Have not found a charger at this price in Europe. At that price point I would indeed put that in the frunk/froot for travelling just in case there is nothing faster close by. Everything I have seen is in the EUR1.000 range.
You are correct. Maybe the fact that most of the chargers that seem to be sold here in Europe are 3 phase chargers could explain part of the price difference. Guess also there is much more competition in the US market?

Here is one of the I have seen and heard some good feedback on.

https://www.mobilityhouse.com/int_en/nrgkick-16-a-light-11k-5m-typ2.html

But is still is more that twice the price of the Mustart!
Sponsored