TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think the Homelink can be set up to automatically pop up based on GPS location. I did it for my Mom's house in California... but I only used it once.
This is true. The video I watched to help do the setup recommended against it due to lack of reliability. Also, there are plenty of times where I would pull up to my house and not want it to go off (like the garage door is open already, for example).
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
This is true. The video I watched to help do the setup recommended against it due to lack of reliability. Also, there are plenty of times where I would pull up to my house and not want it to go off (like the garage door is open already, for example).
I don't think it automatically activates the homelink, just automatically brings up the controls, so you don't have to dive deep into menus. (I could be wrong, it's been months since I used the feature)

OP
OP
Laish

Laish

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 s
Country flag
It's actually kind of ironic.. for all the comparisons to Tesla the Taycan really shares so much more in common with the iPace, including the questionable software & cameras.

The iPace got a lot of OTA updates that helped, although the system was much worse to begin with (practically unusable at first). The Jaguar connect app was also complete garbage.
My previous car was a LR discovery with same software and app as Jaguar. Equally awful and unusable. I was so looking forward to being able to pre cool and heat my car with this ew Taycan (something on the LR that worked 1 in 5 times) Sadly its as bad as LR.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Its not like Tesla which has Auto open Homelink function and upon arriving home automatically opens your gate to garage Its like VW/Audi the GPS location setting just brings the control window for Homelink to the top of the screen. I found the function on my eTron only popped up for a few seconds so it was all but unless hopefully it stays active for a while I also read the function muttons on the main screen are programable so you can re arrange the top set to the functions you uses most have any of you been able to confirm this?

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I‘m planning on getting a WiFi adapter that’s HomeKit compatible for my opener, so I can use the GPS or “Hey, Siri” on my iPhone to deal with garage door. I don’t won’t to take up a programmable button for that.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Its not like Tesla which has Auto open Homelink function and upon arriving home automatically opens your gate to garage Its like VW/Audi the GPS location setting just brings the control window for Homelink to the top of the screen. I found the function on my eTron only popped up for a few seconds so it was all but unless hopefully it stays active for a while I also read the function muttons on the main screen are programable so you can re arrange the top set to the functions you uses most have any of you been able to confirm this?
The car is gorgeous, great to drive, fit and finish are superb. The software sucks big time.

In theory, there is a GPS enabled homelink. I reprogrammed mine twice, I have yet to see it coming up...... Porsche decided you can do a "homelink" shortcut, but it will not go as deep as using one of the garage door openers but rather brings up the homelink screen. Unless you slowed down too much and the autopark assist takes the center screen - and blocks your homelink. You have to close the park aid before you open your garage. My best guess is the summer intern who designed this particular interface was pissed at Porsche and decided to take revenge.

The backup camera is not only of poor quality, it also distorts to the point that everything looks exceptionally close. I started using only the rendered image of the car to orient myself.

Car remembers every time my seat settings but only about 50% of the time my mirror settings. Go figure....

My suggestion for all software developers for VAG / Mercedes / BMW: obligatory internship at Tesla. I love the car, but the interface is poorly executed with less functionality than what I had in my first model S in 2014.

Would still buy the Taycan, but be prepared to live with the limitations.

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In theory, there is a GPS enabled homelink. I reprogrammed mine twice, I have yet to see it coming up...... Porsche decided you can do a "homelink" shortcut, but it will not go as deep as using one of the garage door openers but rather brings up the homelink screen. Unless you slowed down too much and the autopark assist takes the center screen - and blocks your homelink. You have to close the park aid before you open your garage. My best guess is the summer intern who designed this particular interface was pissed at Porsche and decided to take revenge.

The backup camera is not only of poor quality, it also distorts to the point that everything looks exceptionally close. I started using only the rendered image of the car to orient myself.
My programmable button actually opens and closes the garage, not just brings up homelink on the touchscreen.

I paid more attention to the back-up camera when I drove it this afternoon. Yeah, that is insanely bad, surprised I hadn’t noticed before. I’d guess improving this is a hardware fix?

For the software as a whole, was are realistic expectations for release of v2.0 that hopefully is much better than v1?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The Bad :

The panoramic roof is purely for back seat passengers as you dont notice it at all when driving
Why exactly do you list this on "the bad"? What would you expect from the panoramic roof on the driver seat?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Why exactly do you list this on "the bad"? What would you expect from the panoramic roof on the driver seat?
All of the structure could be glass. Hood, Door panels, A pillars, the rest of the roof.

But seriously... maybe he wants the Model X windshield/roof that goes all the way back above the driver.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
All of the structure could be glass. Hood, Door panels, A pillars, the rest of the roof.

But seriously... maybe he wants the Model X windshield/roof that goes all the way back above the driver.
Oh, the MX windshield is a terrible design. Even on regular cars I am struggling with too much light.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
My programmable button actually opens and closes the garage, not just brings up homelink on the touchscreen.

I paid more attention to the back-up camera when I drove it this afternoon. Yeah, that is insanely bad, surprised I hadn’t noticed before. I’d guess improving this is a hardware fix?

For the software as a whole, was are realistic expectations for release of v2.0 that hopefully is much better than v1?
Will try again - I could not spot a way of linking one specific garage door with the memory button, please let me know if there is another step I am missing

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
So Ive had the Taycan for 2 weeks and heres my thoughts so far :

Im starting with the bad because thats whats tempted me to post:

The Bad :

The connect App totally sucks. I cant log in most of the times and the functionality is completely pants. Im missing 20 odd services that the car is capable of because it cant log into my account ( I spent an hour and half at my local OPC and they couldnt get it to work)

The AC isnt particularly effective and the control for the flow direction is just useless. Why the direction needs to be screen controlled is beyond me.

The reversing camera is poor and looks like a picture produced on an early smartphone.

The boot (trunk) closing is hyper sensitive if anything is remotely near it.

It never remembers settings I make like auto regeneration mode always reverts to off etc. ( yes I am logged in to my account on the car)

The panoramic roof is purely for back seat passengers as you dont notice it at all when driving

The Good :

Controling the passenger seat with driver seat controls is genius ( I have a 6 year old daughter and makes adjustments easy when needed without getting out the car) ( and yes shes in a correct child seat and yes shes is allowed to sit in the front seat )

The electronic sound is actually lots of fun

The drive is very very smooth

The delivery of power is exceptional and the car is very rigid and stable

Seats are great

The Screens are really clear and sharp.

Range is good and true

Im sure ive missed stuff but thats a quick precis of two weeks of Taycan in the UK after about 600 miles

Ian
Nice udate, clear and to the point. Thanks

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,2020 Taycan rurbo, 2018 GT3 1997 911 C4S, 1996 911 TT, 2008 911 GT2,1989 Speedster, 1994 3.6
Country flag
So Ive had the Taycan for 2 weeks and heres my thoughts so far :

Im starting with the bad because thats whats tempted me to post:

The Bad :

The connect App totally sucks. I cant log in most of the times and the functionality is completely pants. Im missing 20 odd services that the car is capable of because it cant log into my account ( I spent an hour and half at my local OPC and they couldnt get it to work)

The AC isnt particularly effective and the control for the flow direction is just useless. Why the direction needs to be screen controlled is beyond me.

The reversing camera is poor and looks like a picture produced on an early smartphone.

The boot (trunk) closing is hyper sensitive if anything is remotely near it.

It never remembers settings I make like auto regeneration mode always reverts to off etc. ( yes I am logged in to my account on the car)

The Good :

Controling the passenger seat with driver seat controls is genius ( I have a 6 year old daughter and makes adjustments easy when needed without getting out the car) ( and yes shes in a correct child seat and yes shes is allowed to sit in the front seat )

The electronic sound is actually lots of fun

The drive is very very smooth

The delivery of power is exceptional and the car is very rigid and stable

Seats are great

The Screens are really clear and sharp.

Range is good and true

Im sure ive missed stuff but thats a quick precis of two weeks of Taycan in the UK after about 600 miles

Ian
So far after 3 weeks my Turbo has worked perfectly. I initially had issues logging into the account and setting it up but once Porsche completed the upgrade I was able to log all my info in I was set. I was very skeptical initially since I am a big air cooled collector but after driving this space ship, with its warp speed acceleration and amazing body control I was sold. Keep you guys posted but so far so good!

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

I had the same experience with the panoramic roof. Due to the lack off shade the tint is very dark and therefore does not let a lot of light pass through unlike other cars with a panoramic roof. So its mostly for an airy feel for the rear passengers and maybe headspace in the optional middle seat.

I concur on the points and hope Porsche does fix it - and fix it fast ;)

zelement

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Panamera 4S. 19 Cayenne S
Country flag
I am still waiting for my 4S which I ordered as soon as the configurator became available. 3 years ago, I ordered a 971 Panamera 4S. At that time, the Panamera's touch screen user interface was the newest technology by Porsche. After I received the car, I experienced a lot of the same issues. The reverse mirror would not turn down on reverse or worse yet, turn up as soon as I put the car in reverse. My key and the custom program button on the steering wheel wouldn't save my settings. Both of these issues the dealer never figured out how to fix and I just lived with it for the entire 3 years. On top of that, the surround view resolution was extremely poor. Fortunately my wife's 19 Cayenne S does not have those issues. The Surround View camera in the cayenne is better than the Panamera but still light years behind other competitors in it's class. Both Cayenne and Panamera has the same interface so I assumed they worked out those kinks. But It sounds like those same kinks are now back with the Taycan. I guess that's the price we pay to have these launch cars. I really hope they have a solution for all of this.
Sponsored