My 2020 4S MSRP $149k, loaner 2020 4S MSRP $113k. My opinion on what options are really important after driving a stripper 4S for a few days.

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
What about Lane Change Assist? It’s a $950 option. I have it in my Q7 and had it in the prior 2 cars. Wondering how essential it is.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr Chill

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
What about Lane Change Assist? It’s a $950 option. I have it in my Q7 and had it in the prior 2 cars. Wondering how essential it is.
You should be able to answer this yourself since you use this feature every day. Personally, I will never buy a car without it going forward. It's a safety issue that should be standard on all cars.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
LCA to me is not essential. LKA is a nice feature. Most of us have been driving long enough to have grown up with way more basic cars and do just fine. I think LCA is maybe helpful for the younger generation that love to text and drive/not pay attention to the road. I always check blind spots and use my signal. I do think features like TPMS are great.

I mean, what do we really need to drive a car today? Responsibility.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I guess I'm the opposite, as I dislike LKA (other than when using Innodrive) and cars without LCA (or that don't have the indicators in or near the mirrors) are a no go for me.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
LCA to me is not essential. LKA is a nice feature. Most of us have been driving long enough to have grown up with way more basic cars and do just fine. I think LCA is maybe helpful for the younger generation that love to text and drive/not pay attention to the road. I always check blind spots and use my signal. I do think features like TPMS are great.

I mean, what do we really need to drive a car today? Responsibility.
Yeah I've definitely spent the majority of my driving life in cars with no driver assistance features. And I do worry that they backfire by encouraging people to pay less attention. My current car has blind spot assist in the mirrors, and I have come to appreciate it but I just use it as anohter data point (in addition to checking blind spots, etc). I do like it there as a backup, and would probably spec it in my next car. I also have LKA, but i'd choose LCA over it if i were prioritizing.

Reactions: dan

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Was so close to ordering my base Rwd with 9k (gbp) of extras. I don’t want to pay for a massive spec so have gone for basics until wife added a few bits!
ive gone turbo aero wheels
Bose sound
Standard half leather
Steel sprung suspension
Privacy windows
Folding wing mirrors
Metallic paint
Driver memory package
Sport sound
Power steering
Reverse camera
Panoramic roof
I’m open to any advice. I currently drive one of the first 997 carrera which I love but know times have moved on.
Sorry if this is wrong place but my first forum post!
This is the right way. Don't overspec a base car. Get the black blushed aluminum door still guards if they're free in the UK (they're free in the US & look way better than the standard ones).

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I guess I'm the opposite, as I dislike LKA (other than when using Innodrive) and cars without LCA (or that don't have the indicators in or near the mirrors) are a no go for me.
How do you have InnoDrive set? I have LKA turned off because it annoys me when not using InnoDrive, but I have Active Lane Keep on because that's basically the only difference between InnoDrive and normal ACC. Is InnoDrive better with both boxes checked?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Yeah I've definitely spent the majority of my driving life in cars with no driver assistance features. And I do worry that they backfire by encouraging people to pay less attention. My current car has blind spot assist in the mirrors, and I have come to appreciate it but I just use it as anohter data point (in addition to checking blind spots, etc). I do like it there as a backup, and would probably spec it in my next car. I also have LKA, but i'd choose LCA over it if i were prioritizing.
I too never accepted any of the new technologies, I even refused to use the backup cameras. then I got the tesla and that car had an amazing rear camera, then AP came along and I loved the early version AP1, AP 2 came and was terrible at first, people seem to forget that debacle, luckily I stuck the AP 1 car and when the model 3 appeared, with an AP 2.x that fixed all the flaws I bought a model 3, it was an early one without FSD but with EAP which worked well for me. one major flaw of the tesla drivers assist is that everything is displayed on the screen and do not divert my eyes to the screen so I never used any of the lane keep feature.
now that I have a taycon with innodrive and all the other assist features I find myself turning them off for local driving and I do use innodrive on long trips but I don't really trust it like I trusted the tesla AP system/

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have not seen or driven a car with partial leather but dealer advised it was a slightly lower quality than the full leather and not as smooth. I have full leather and it certainly seems softer and smoother than the partial leather on my old Panamera.

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
Based on what's written below, am I correct to assume that the 8 way seats do not come with Electric adjustment of steering column??!!

Do the 8 way's have any memory settings?

Do the 8 ways have auto mirroring (useful when putting the car in reverse to protect wheels from curbing etc.)?

8 way description:
Comfort seats (front) with 8-way electric adjustment: seat height, seat angle, backrest angle, and fore/aft position.

14 way description:
14-way power seats (front) with electric adjustment of steering column; memory function for seat position settings, steering column, both exterior mirrors, and other personalized in-car settings; Map pockets on rear side of driver and front passenger seat backrests. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:

18 way description:
Sporty seat design with different seam pattern on the seat centers, elevated side bolsters in the front. Electric adjustment of steering column; memory function for seat position settings, steering column, both exterior mirrors, and other personalized in-car settings; map pockets on rear side of driver and front passenger seat backrests. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:

Last edited:

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
Based on what's written below, am I correct to assume that the 8 way seats do not come with Electric adjustment of steering column??!!

Do the 8 way's have any memory settings?

Do the 8 ways have auto mirroring (useful when putting the car in reverse to protect wheels from curbing etc.)?

8 way description:
Comfort seats (front) with 8-way electric adjustment: seat height, seat angle, backrest angle, and fore/aft position.

14 way description:
14-way power seats (front) with electric adjustment of steering column; memory function for seat position settings, steering column, both exterior mirrors, and other personalized in-car settings; Map pockets on rear side of driver and front passenger seat backrests. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:

18 way description:
Sporty seat design with different seam pattern on the seat centers, elevated side bolsters in the front. Electric adjustment of steering column; memory function for seat position settings, steering column, both exterior mirrors, and other personalized in-car settings; map pockets on rear side of driver and front passenger seat backrests. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:
Yes, I got the standard 8 ways and have available memory settings on the door. They work fine for me and my wife for adjustment of the seats and mirrors.

I was very satisfied with the 8 way seats in my previous Audi so didn’t really sweat not having the 14 way or even 18 ways.

Seems a little out of place to not have electric adjustment of the steering wheel on a vehicle of this price, but so goes the purchase of a Porsche. I just tell myself that I built a “lightweight” Taycan 4S by omitting the upgraded and heavier seats, no RWS, PDCC, etc. ?

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
Yes, I got the standard 8 ways and have available memory settings on the door. They work fine for me and my wife for adjustment of the seats and mirrors.

I was very satisfied with the 8 way seats in my previous Audi so didn’t really sweat not having the 14 way or even 18 ways.

Seems a little out of place to not have electric adjustment of the steering wheel on a vehicle of this price, but so goes the purchase of a Porsche. I just tell myself that I built a “lightweight” Taycan 4S by omitting the upgraded and heavier seats, no RWS, PDCC, etc. ?
In your standard 8 ways:

Are the memory setting buttons available on both the driver and passenger seats or just driver side?

Do the side mirrors tilt down when putting the car in reverse?

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
if you opt for memory package ; the mirrors tilt down on reversing; the memory for the seat is only on the drivers side though

I have to say i under specced my rwd taycan and thought I may regret it; if anything I would under spec further if i were to do it again;

I would ditch sports sound (its a bit annoying and the free electric sound is more than enough)
prob wouldn't bother with bose
wouldn't bother with folding mirrors ( doesn't looks nice when folded back- I hardly ever fold them anyways)
I would go for black sill plates (free) not steel - dealer didn't explain black ones were free so paid for steel ones as I though it wouldn't come with any sill plates!)
I could prob live without memory seats TBH as Im the only one who drives the car
i didn't bother with 150kw charger- I may regret this later but at the moment there is no issue and as the car is a lease i will hand it back in a few years; also i don't plan to publicly charge the car

that leaves me with

steel suspension (no regrets)
pano roof(although not absolutely essential; esp if not carrying rear seat passengers)
bigger battery
tinted windows
rear view camera (its pretty rubbish but better than nothing)
metallic paint (gentian blue)
partial leather (two tone beige interior)
power steering plus (no idea if this helps or not - but specced in nonetheless )

I went for the base wheels which are ok in real life- although if speccing again I would go for 20 inch wheels

Am really happy with the car; whilst the base model doesn't come with lots of gizmos; its a great car; and I have a feeling (although early to tell) that the less gizmos it has the less likely it is to breakdown /malfunction in the future....

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
if you opt for memory package ; the mirrors tilt down on reversing; the memory for the seat is only on the drivers side though

I have to say i under specced my rwd taycan and thought I may regret it; if anything I would under spec further if i were to do it again;

I would ditch sports sound (its a bit annoying and the free electric sound is more than enough)
prob wouldn't bother with bose
wouldn't bother with folding mirrors ( doesn't looks nice when folded back- I hardly ever fold them anyways)
I would go for black sill plates (free) not steel - dealer didn't explain black ones were free so paid for steel ones as I though it wouldn't come with any sill plates!)
I could prob live without memory seats TBH as Im the only one who drives the car
i didn't bother with 150kw charger- I may regret this later but at the moment there is no issue and as the car is a lease i will hand it back in a few years; also i don't plan to publicly charge the car

that leaves me with

steel suspension (no regrets)
pano roof(although not absolutely essential; esp if not carrying rear seat passengers)
bigger battery
tinted windows
rear view camera (its pretty rubbish but better than nothing)
metallic paint (gentian blue)
partial leather (two tone beige interior)

I went for the base wheels which are ok in real life- although if speccing again I would go for 20 inch wheels

Am really happy with the car; whilst the base model doesn't come with lots of gizmos; its a great car; and I have a feeling (although early to tell) that the less gizmos it has the less likely it is to breakdown /malfunction in the future....
Although by no means indispensable, the Bose sound system in the Taycan is worth its cost. It seems to be one of Bose’s better implementations.

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
Although by no means indispensable, the Bose sound system in the Taycan is worth its cost. It seems to be one of Bose’s better implementations.
TBF i am partially deaf ,so may not appreciate the sound as much via the bose
Sponsored