My 2020 4S MSRP $149k, loaner 2020 4S MSRP $113k. My opinion on what options are really important after driving a stripper 4S for a few days.

OP
OP
Dr Chill

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
Got my car back after the software update today. Put 700 miles on the loaner. My final opinion is that the full leather interior is worth the upgrade. The 14 way seats also have have electric seat extensions. After sitting in the 18 ways at the dealership today, I'd go 18 way next time. I'd probably go aftermarket wheels rather than the $8000 PSCB/Mission E route. Standard brakes are more than adequate. GT steering wheel with sports chrono, and ACC only other mandatory options for me.

Spida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo Cherry Red
Country flag
I have not seen or driven a car with partial leather but dealer advised it was a slightly lower quality than the full leather and not as smooth. I have full leather and it certainly seems softer and smoother than the partial leather on my old Panamera.
Was your car parked in Chatswood the other day, plate ending 21G? It’s a nice looking car if so....

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No, was not me, but happy to take the compliment!
I have not seen another Crayon yet - quite a few white, three Volcano grey, and one each Ice Blue, Ice grey, silver and Gentian Blue.

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
if you opt for memory package ; the mirrors tilt down on reversing; the memory for the seat is only on the drivers side though

I have to say i under specced my rwd taycan and thought I may regret it; if anything I would under spec further if i were to do it again;

I would ditch sports sound (its a bit annoying and the free electric sound is more than enough)
prob wouldn't bother with bose
wouldn't bother with folding mirrors ( doesn't looks nice when folded back- I hardly ever fold them anyways)
I would go for black sill plates (free) not steel - dealer didn't explain black ones were free so paid for steel ones as I though it wouldn't come with any sill plates!)
I could prob live without memory seats TBH as Im the only one who drives the car
i didn't bother with 150kw charger- I may regret this later but at the moment there is no issue and as the car is a lease i will hand it back in a few years; also i don't plan to publicly charge the car

that leaves me with

steel suspension (no regrets)
pano roof(although not absolutely essential; esp if not carrying rear seat passengers)
bigger battery
tinted windows
rear view camera (its pretty rubbish but better than nothing)
metallic paint (gentian blue)
partial leather (two tone beige interior)
power steering plus (no idea if this helps or not - but specced in nonetheless )

I went for the base wheels which are ok in real life- although if speccing again I would go for 20 inch wheels

Am really happy with the car; whilst the base model doesn't come with lots of gizmos; its a great car; and I have a feeling (although early to tell) that the less gizmos it has the less likely it is to breakdown /malfunction in the future....
Thanks Nav. Just ordered mine so your message really helpful as I want to keep price as low as possible. I also think the less gadgets the less problems. Ive also experienced over speccing a car then lost stacks on the resale. Still not sure on the leather interior yet as I've not seen partial leather in any over the ones I've driven. My last config shows:
Steel suspension
pano roof
rear camera
turbo Aero 20" wheels
met paint (mamba)
power steering plus
leather interier
Bose

Ive still spent over 8k on extras but you could easily spend another 20k and still be no where near fully spec lol

been looking at PPF and ceramic coating swell....another 5k!!

My code is PM1CHE42

Any advice welcome

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
Thanks Nav. Just ordered mine so your message really helpful as I want to keep price as low as possible. I also think the less gadgets the less problems. Ive also experienced over speccing a car then lost stacks on the resale. Still not sure on the leather interior yet as I've not seen partial leather in any over the ones I've driven. My last config shows:
Steel suspension
pano roof
rear camera
turbo Aero 20" wheels
met paint (mamba)
power steering plus
leather interier
Bose

Ive still spent over 8k on extras but you could easily spend another 20k and still be no where near fully spec lol

been looking at PPF and ceramic coating swell....another 5k!!

My code is PM1CHE42

Any advice welcome
Great only thing to add on if you are worried about range is heated steering wheel ; for some reason the heated seats (and I presume heated steering wheel) do not use much power; as soon as the cabin fans /heater is on the power drains very fast ....

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
Great only thing to add on if you are worried about range is heated steering wheel ; for some reason the heated seats (and I presume heated steering wheel) do not use much power; as soon as the cabin fans /heater is on the power drains very fast ....
Thanks Nav, thats one of the things the wife wanted but I deleted to keep costs down lol
might be going back on the list!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Got my car back after the software update today. Put 700 miles on the loaner. My final opinion is that the full leather interior is worth the upgrade. The 14 way seats also have have electric seat extensions. After sitting in the 18 ways at the dealership today, I'd go 18 way next time. I'd probably go aftermarket wheels rather than the $8000 PSCB/Mission E route. Standard brakes are more than adequate. GT steering wheel with sports chrono, and ACC only other mandatory options for me.
Full leather absolutely worth the upgrade. Sports chrono as well. Both specified on my RWD build.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I always go with the smallest, cheapest wheels on all my cars; they give better range, they are safer (more sidewall to absorb hits and stress) and more stable at speed, and they are cheaper to buy and replace. The standard wheels on all Porsches just don't bother me in terms of appearance. With BEVs, smaller wheels are even more important for that elusive range off a single charge, when driving far from home base. I'd like to see some stats of Taycans with 19-inch vs. 20-inch vs. 21-inch wheels in terms of driving range off a full charge.

OP
OP
Dr Chill

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
I always go with the smallest, cheapest wheels on all my cars; they give better range, they are safer (more sidewall to absorb hits and stress) and more stable at speed, and they are cheaper to buy and replace. The standard wheels on all Porsches just don't bother me in terms of appearance. With BEVs, smaller wheels are even more important for that elusive range off a single charge, when driving far from home base. I'd like to see some stats of Taycans with 19-inch vs. 20-inch vs. 21-inch wheels in terms of driving range off a full charge.
The loaner (19") had a range of 260 miles on 100% charge in normal mode, my car (21") had a range of 243 miles this am in normal mode.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The loaner (19") had a range of 260 miles on 100% charge in normal mode, my car (21") had a range of 243 miles this am in normal mode.
7% range loss going from 19" to 21" is not that bad. Less impact than I would have expected.

Heinekennut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2015 Range Rover Sport, 1973 TR6
Country flag
Good to hear. Not sure what stereo you have, but I assume it's the Bose or Burmeister. How does the base audio system sound? And hows the comfort of the standard 8 way seats?
I had a standard audio in my loaner (Bose in my 4s) and the base model was really disappointing, especially for a Porsche. Kia stereo is better than base model Taycan audio.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have not heard standard audio in Taycan as currently only 4S, Turbo and Turbo S in Australia all of which have Bose as standard. Standard audio in loan Macan/Cayenne I would rate as low. Taycan RWD arrives in October/November and will not have Bose as standard for our market.
I have to say a little disappointed with the Bose in my 4S - not as much Bass as I would like and does not seem quite as powerful as the Bose in my previous Panamera (although I do like the internet radio stations and ease of CarPlay).
Sponsored