My 2020 4S MSRP $149k, loaner 2020 4S MSRP $113k. My opinion on what options are really important after driving a stripper 4S for a few days.

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
I bought a loaded Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S in early November 2020 and as my car is having the software update, I now am driving a loaner 4S with no options. My car has full leather, Mission E wheels with PSCB, Innodrive, premium and performance packages. You may find it hard to believe, but after driving a basic 4S with no options other than those that came on the 2020 Taycan 4S (mobile charger connect/pano roof/big battery), the only options I think are absolutely necessary are:

1) 93.4 kWh battery $5570
2) sport chrono package (GT steering wheel with little wheel to change driving mode is a must have) $1320
*3) Adaptive Cruise Control (* only for those who drive significant highway miles) $2050
*4) 25 foot charging cable (* only if you buy the mobile charger connect. My car is sitting halfway out of the garage to fit the 8 ft charging cable to my charge port) $0

All the other options I have on my car are fluff in my opinion as a no option 4S handles really well, is really fun to drive, has smoother ride with 19" wheels than my 21" wheels/tires, and has greater range with the smaller wheels. The red brakes stop the car really well when greater than regen braking is needed. Full leather or race-tex interior is really nice, but the standard interior is perfectly fine and saves $5000 after taxes. Any appearance options are basically costly personal preferences.

Would I order a new one like this if I had the opportunity to do it over again, probably not because I can afford to option it out how I'd really want it. But for someone who doesn't want to or cannot afford to spend more money , I would highly recommend a lighter optioned 4S over a base Taycan with more options. Speed, performance, handling is all that is necessary.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Good to hear. Not sure what stereo you have, but I assume it's the Bose or Burmeister. How does the base audio system sound? And hows the comfort of the standard 8 way seats?

OP
OP
Dr Chill

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Base system is adequate but not as good as the Bose. Not an audiophile to warrant the Burm. Depends on your priorities.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
What color interior did the loaner have?

OP
OP
Dr Chill

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Black

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
What about the all leather vs partial leather interior?

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have only had my 4S for a week. This was a car off the showroom floor, highly specified but obviously not my choices (could not wait, by local standards a good deal and other options seemed to miss out on what I thought were important options).
I have to say I agree - most of the options essentially cosmetic/personal preference and given my needs could probably have been missed. I certainly would not have ordered sports sound, 4 zone climate, rear seat heating and passenger display - no harm but cannot see me ever using them.
For me I was really keen on the performance battery, but in reality 90% of the time I suspect the standard battery would have been fine. The adaptive cruise I have already used a lot and really like. We only have one type of steering wheel in Australia and heating not really required in Sydney! The longer cable was recommended by the dealer but I did not need as charger is on my garage back wall so most of the cable is currently wound round the back of the storage unit.
I have the Glacier Blue Matrix LED lights I have noticed them to provide better illumination than my old Panamera Bi-Xenon's but do not know how this compares with the standard headlights on the Taycan.
All the cars I test drove/looked at had 4+1 seating, Power Steering Plus and windscreen upper quarter grey tint, so cannot say if critical but you would need to actively order one without these options in Australia.
I really wanted full leather this time (had partial on Panamera), but would have been happy with smaller wheels (20" in Australia smallest) and standard brakes. Still not sure about HUD, but the colour coded mirrors did add a lot to the appearance when compared with the standard black plastic.

OP
OP
Dr Chill

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 4S has rear axle steering, PTV+, PDCC. RAS decreases turning circle and makes high speed maneuvers more crisp, but I can easily live without them.

I have full leather black/bordeaux red on mine. Really nice, but I could easily live with standard interior if money was an object.

Bottom line, the Taycan 4S with minimum options is 95% of the car that a loaded one is.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
PDCC a really expensive option in Australia and can only be ordered with PTV+ - adds about $10K - so both options not on any of the 4S cars I drove or could have bought but is standard on Turbo and Turbo S. I think for most likely not critical. RAS was on a Turbo S demonstrator which definitely made parking a bit easier but was not game to try high speed course corrections/lane changes!

OP
OP
Dr Chill

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Performance Package in USA, $6430, consists of:
  • Rear Axle Steering incl. Power Steering Plus
  • Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
  • Porsche Electric Sport Sound
I guess we are luckier than you Aussies.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sure are!
No 'packages' in Australia - each and every option individually priced and the bundle you mention would cost A$16K plus taxes....

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Sure are!
No 'packages' in Australia - each and every option individually priced and the bundle you mention would cost A$16K plus taxes....
You guys need a nice Taycan ute.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You never know what Porsche might offer. CT arrives October/November here. They are only importing 4S and Turbo versions but 4S version better 'value' than sedan as includes PB+ and better wheels for pretty much same price as a 4S sedan with less attractive wheels and no PB+.
Was interested but did not like plastic wheel arches and just an inch too long to fit in my garage and be able to easily open tailgate...

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
Was so close to ordering my base Rwd with 9k (gbp) of extras. I don’t want to pay for a massive spec so have gone for basics until wife added a few bits!
ive gone turbo aero wheels
Bose sound
Standard half leather
Steel sprung suspension
Privacy windows
Folding wing mirrors
Metallic paint
Driver memory package
Sport sound
Power steering
Reverse camera
Panoramic roof
I’m open to any advice. I currently drive one of the first 997 carrera which I love but know times have moved on.
Sorry if this is wrong place but my first forum post!
Sponsored