My 2022 Taycan 4S order - thoughts?

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi Everyone. I finally have a production date but I have plenty of time to make changes- freeze date is not until early April. Ugh! :crying:
After reading and reading about all the options and opinions therein, you all have been extremely helpful and your perspectives have helped me select what I have thus far. With that, if you have a few mins, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on my current build, as I'm not 100% certain on some things yet.

About me:
This is my first EV; I gave up on Tesla after their steering joke/yoke and can't wait to take the plunge with Porsche! I've been a long time fan of Porsche, too, but this will be my first one. I'll be using this as a daily driver, maybe some track but that's highly doubtful.

If you look at my build, you'll likely ask me about these selections, probably others, too. Here's what/why I've configured it as such:
  • I optioned the full Performance Package bc I figured it's a Porsche- dive into the deep end of the pool and experience it in full. I've toyed around with getting the GTS but I can get more of what I want in the 4S at this cost point and I figure my next/future car after this one might be an upgrade to something more- dunno.
  • Technology Package - I'm on the fence here. I love tech in general and think the key on this would be the passenger display bc I think it's cool but not sure about the HUD and other options so I'm open to changing this around.
  • Color choice - I love the ice grey metallic and am taking a gamble on Black/Red interior. I've never had red interior on a car before so am not confident in it yet. I was also toying around with just getting stock white or black exterior and wrapping it a color since I'll likely do a protection wrap no matter what. Thoughts?
  • Sport Chrono Clock option - for some reason, the idea of just having a subsecond bothers me and I do want the Sports Chrono for the knobs on the wheel. I'd rather not spend $1120 for the clock though so am curious if any of you have thought about that before.
  • Turbo Aero Wheels- I would like 20" wheels for a smoother ride and the extra range with these but I'm not a huge fan of them. I've thought of going aftermarket on 20" wheels so I may just option the cheap ones and do something after I get it. Not sure.
  • Night Vision Assist - I can't drive where I live w/o seeing deer. I don't have this option on my current truck but we could use it out here.
  • PDLS+ - I am told that I have to stay at standard since there's a stop order but if that lifts before my freeze, I may option the Matrix Design ones knowing I'd eventually get to use it here in the US.
If you have a min, I'd greatly appreciate your perspectives. Thanks in advance!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIBY462
Sponsored

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’m not going to comment colors (it’s too personal) even if I think that you are doing great with ice& red/black.
HUD. I skipped, there sre plenty of screens anyway.
Passengers’ screen. I took it and I don’t regret. IMO, it looks better than without.
Night vision. IMO, must have. Not just because of animals, also runners and byclists (with headphones in ears). Works very effective.
sports package. I took compass instead Chrono. IMO, it’s good to have drive mode selector on wheel.
Wheels. I’d go for 21”.
good luck with your configuration.

OP
OP
obxckw

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m not going to comment colors (it’s too personal) even if I think that you are doing great with ice& red/black.
HUD. I skipped, there sre plenty of screens anyway.
Passengers’ screen. I took it and I don’t regret. IMO, it looks better than without.
Night vision. IMO, must have. Not just because of animals, also runners and byclists (with headphones in ears). Works very effective.
sports package. I took compass instead Chrono. IMO, it’s good to have drive mode selector on wheel.
Wheels. I’d go for 21”.
good luck with your configuration.
Thanks for the feedback.
I don't see a compass option - am I missing it somewhere?
When you went w/ 21" wheels, what did you pick and what sort of range are you getting on them? Any issues w/ comfort?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Looks that compass is available only for CT.
21” and range: according to Porsche, range goes down for about 5%. Right now, i’m on winter tires (20”), so I couldn’t tell you about my findings… I’ve been driving 21” less than 2k km, when i was still learning about driving styles/modes…recuperation.
Comfort. There was a thread few days/weeks ago about that (21 vs 20”); will try to find it.
personaly, i think that Taycan should be on 21”…looks (much) better….but again, that’s my €0.02 only.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/20-vs-21-ride-quality-difference.8535/#post-121997

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Performance package - do you plan on tracking your car? Race? If the Taycan is just your daily driver then there is really no need. The logic of "this is a Porsche and therefore I must have the performance package" inherently flawed. It's a lot of money to spend on something you probably won't even realize if they were missing. I do love RAS on mine and recommend it to all who wants the added maneuverability.

Tech package - I specced on my car as I wanted ACC, park assist and HUD. No need for the passenger display. I did the math and this package came out cheaper than adding the options individually, even excluding 2nd display. I wish I hadn't! The HUD is poorly implemented and overall I find it distracting and not helpful. My 6 year old BMW has much better HUD. Passenger display sits virtually unused as a gimmick.

Sports chrono - Only benefits in my eye are the drive mode selector and added performance. I did not spec as I felt it wasn't worth the money. I also hate the look of the clock.

Night vision - gimmick. Probably safer to keep your eyes on the road rather than glancing at your night vision screen every few seconds.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Regarding night vision: i’m not looking on the screen unless alarm pops-up, when animal (or human) is detected.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
My build is almost identical, but I have been refining it as I learn new things seems to be every day.

- Performance Package: I optioned it as I find all but PDCC to be essential unless for track.
Spors Chrono is performance value for the money by having Sport+ mode that technically maximizes performance from all components and assume works together with Sport Sound (separate track) and PDLS lights (more swivel action). This option also provides Mode switch convenience and makes the dash look complete (in my view). The difference between this option on Taycan vs. Cayenne is that Cayenne has Sports Response button in the middle of it to have Max performance possible for 20 seconds. I am not sure why this is not offered on the Taycan.
RAS is essential to me as it helps to get in and out of parking spaces including parking in the garage plus I notice a big difference in changing lanes at speed on our Cayenne vs. one we had without.
PTV+ is essential where we live with world record of round abouts as it makes huge difference slinging around town.

- Technology Package: I optioned this as well although I do not find HUD, Passenger Screen, and Remote Park essential. However, my rationale about it was that ACC standalone is about 2K and for $2.3K more to get Technology package you get 3 additional features that I would use occasionally so I considered that a value to stretch to full package.

- Night Vision is essential where we live and where we travel as others mentioned for animals, bikers, or walkers and the key about this feature is that it detects them BEYOND the headlights so the comment about looking out is better than having this option is not true. We have it on the Cayenne and it saved us more times than I can count as it detects, identifies, and automatically stops the car beyond human reaction possible at speed in the dark without seeing far.

- Wheels: I understand that you are going for stock at $0 to get the wheels you want after the fact which is actually a very wise choice with others seem to be going that route as well. The options are just not good looking in 19- or 20-inch sizes.

- LED vs. Matrix: LED with PDLS+ standard is my choice as they look better and have max functionality allowable in the US. Matrix look choppy and their true function of variable beam is illegal in the US. All this talk about this be legal sometime soon does not mean Porche will enable this function on Matrix equipped cars since certification and approval may take a long time.

- Color and Cosmetics: Color is personal and my choices are Ice exterior and Chalk/Black interior, but I would like to comment on some cosmetic choices I made. One is the gloss black for base and lower mirror trim. I think this makes big difference and you look at that part of the mirror all the time from the driver seat. My testers did not have it and all I was thinking was to get that to turn gloss black to match around window and B pillar trims.
Then the other option is $650 Dark Silver trim that makes interior parts a little shinier than standard in Black but I opted for the $1K option that colors door trims where door openers are in exterior color and then the rest is still Dark Silver. I think on your Black/Red interior this might look really nice.

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I would like to add one more that I added after learning about additional features.

2-zone vs. 4-zone ($990): The back seat and area in general is just not big enough to justify 4-zone with passengers or not. For example, our Cayenne with 4-zone has vents in B-pillars and the screen to control functions just looks sharp and functions very well. However, I learned that in the Taycan front foot well temp cannot be customized (made warmer) without 4-zone. I wonder if anyone else can comment on the differences between the two to support adding 4-zone option.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
2-zone vs. 4-zone ($990): The back seat and area in general is just not big enough to justify 4-zone with passengers or not. For example, our Cayenne with 4-zone has vents in B-pillars and the screen to control functions just looks sharp and functions very well. However, I learned that in the Taycan front foot well temp cannot be customized (made warmer) without 4-zone. I wonder if anyone else can comment on the differences between the two to support adding 4-zone option.
I was gutted to find out footwell temp adjustment was not available in 2 Zone AC. Even so, I don't think I would pay the extra grand for 4 zone, never found them useful or even frequently used.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Hi Everyone. I finally have a production date but I have plenty of time to make changes- freeze date is not until early April. Ugh! :crying:
After reading and reading about all the options and opinions therein, you all have been extremely helpful and your perspectives have helped me select what I have thus far. With that, if you have a few mins, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on my current build, as I'm not 100% certain on some things yet.

About me:
This is my first EV; I gave up on Tesla after their steering joke/yoke and can't wait to take the plunge with Porsche! I've been a long time fan of Porsche, too, but this will be my first one. I'll be using this as a daily driver, maybe some track but that's highly doubtful.

If you look at my build, you'll likely ask me about these selections, probably others, too. Here's what/why I've configured it as such:
  • I optioned the full Performance Package bc I figured it's a Porsche- dive into the deep end of the pool and experience it in full. I've toyed around with getting the GTS but I can get more of what I want in the 4S at this cost point and I figure my next/future car after this one might be an upgrade to something more- dunno.
  • Technology Package - I'm on the fence here. I love tech in general and think the key on this would be the passenger display bc I think it's cool but not sure about the HUD and other options so I'm open to changing this around.
  • Color choice - I love the ice grey metallic and am taking a gamble on Black/Red interior. I've never had red interior on a car before so am not confident in it yet. I was also toying around with just getting stock white or black exterior and wrapping it a color since I'll likely do a protection wrap no matter what. Thoughts?
  • Sport Chrono Clock option - for some reason, the idea of just having a subsecond bothers me and I do want the Sports Chrono for the knobs on the wheel. I'd rather not spend $1120 for the clock though so am curious if any of you have thought about that before.
  • Turbo Aero Wheels- I would like 20" wheels for a smoother ride and the extra range with these but I'm not a huge fan of them. I've thought of going aftermarket on 20" wheels so I may just option the cheap ones and do something after I get it. Not sure.
  • Night Vision Assist - I can't drive where I live w/o seeing deer. I don't have this option on my current truck but we could use it out here.
  • PDLS+ - I am told that I have to stay at standard since there's a stop order but if that lifts before my freeze, I may option the Matrix Design ones knowing I'd eventually get to use it here in the US.
If you have a min, I'd greatly appreciate your perspectives. Thanks in advance!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIBY462
I opted against Tech package b/c I had a budget and neither the extra passenger screen nor the HUD impacted performance - which is why you buy a Porsche. So I optioned the ACC and instead of the other tech features I went with adaptive air suspension and rear axle steering, which is FANTASTIC. It dramatically improves control at high and low speeds. I also did not option the Chrono package b/c I had this on my 911S and it was just eye candy. Unless you are going to race the vehicle, you won't use it. You can still access sport modes from the control panel.

Color is so personal but I'll just say this: Cars made during the past couple decades (and especially post-DeLorean) have ruined silver for me. Its so common now.

Good luck!
Sponsored