My 3D printed Taycan phone holder

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
@slothinker

OK - decided on a very different route - I had two Porsche cupholder ashtrays and was really only using one to cover up the cupholder on the armrest which just makes it way more comfortable with your arm there.

Actually forgot I had the spare so decided to chop it up :) and transform it into a magnetic mount for the phone which of course keeps the cupholder light rings visible - seems to work like a charm and still even works as a hinged storage cup - good for keeping other keys out of sight or whatever! Mount cost $14 and even has the matching gloss black surround :)

The top end which was the base for the Porsche logo'd cap handle is covered in an Alcantera-like black felt - this just a quick patch but will replace with better (some gaps obvious!) - but actually looks really good, almost OEM!

PICS:

1: Armrest cupholder with OEM ashtray at bottom - top cupholder with my modified OEM ashtray with and mag mount - can easily switch this out for a mag charger if desired but of course more involved if you want to hide the chord completely.
IMG_6991.jpeg

2: I ut out the inner workings of the ashtray and provides ben more sam for keys etc - you can see the twist off locking nut on base of lid that holds the mag mount to the modified lid. All super easy to swap out.
IMG_6993.jpeg
My solution cost me ca $55 (OEM ashtray) + $14 (mag mount) to have this modified Porsche ash tray now storage insert that retains the cupholder lighting - bought my OEM insert back in Nov 2021 - just looked on Suncoast and that same insert is now $65(!!), but still essentially same price as other options here it seems.

This solution is perfect if all you want is a holder (more work to convert to a charger) i.e. I do not interact with my phone whilst driving - others may need to and more upright holders probably preferred. My iPhone 13 Pro sits perfectly edge to edge with the black top of the console :)

The cool thing about this mod is that you are not mucking with any part of your car with clamps etc and of course the cupholder pops right out should you actually need to revert to a cupholder vs a mag mount-storage.

I cleaned out the interior of the ashtray parts to make a full usable storage bin - and the mag mount is simply secured to the lid (via modded hole) with the screw nob it came with i.e. can be swapped out with any other 3rd party mag and/or charger mount.

PIC 1: Porsche's ashtray cupholder right for the Taycan (and other models) - my modded version on left with black mag mount:

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_7029

PIC 2: Interior of ashtray is not usable space other than for ash/cig butts - I cleaned out mine of those parts and now usable storage.

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_7031

Last edited:

DubaiEye

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Website
volt.ae
Vehicles
21Taycan TS,AC Cobra,Tesla X,Tesla 3,Zoe,Fiat 500e
Country flag
Struggled to find a perfect way to mount my iPhone so decided to custom print my own magnetic holder.

Designed it to match the shape of the center console side, but not too tight in order to avoid marking the leather. Then screwed on the top a magnet from a previous phone holder I had.

Perfect for my needs and been using it for a month without any impact on the leather, and phone holds even in Launch control !

Let me know what you think and would be great to get any additional suggestions. Happy to also share the 3D print file if anyone is interested.

E02C9E5B-AC07-49E7-A3E8-2EE9AFDEEDE0.jpeg
216F5E4F-2979-47B7-B2F2-FF3046D61A98.jpeg

Thats amazing

would you share the file i have a printer nearby

abatis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have a 3D printer and would like to print your holder for my Cross Turismo. Any chance I could get a copy of your print file? Thanks

OP
OP
Axdenied

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 3D printer and would like to print your holder for my Cross Turismo. Any chance I could get a copy of your print file? Thanks
I have put the original file on my online shop for download here:
https://www.metavoo.com/products/taycan-phone-holder-3d-stl-print-file-for-download

I created that page to see if there is a demand and to evaluate if people are willing to pay for such items. Planning on uploading different versions and potentially also selling printed versions. Let me know what you guys think.

Of course, I also kept the free version in the forum (it just needs a search ;) )

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I just double sided taped (for me with velcro tape, but you can use whatever you want) an aftermarket magsafe charger (to allow a 2ft black cable) to the space under / behind the lower screen that was unused.

I don't need to look at my phone when driving, but this way I can still easily place it there to charge, as well as grab it if I need it quickly, since it's magnetic

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 1A3eV9E

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder sV5jWqu

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 3lu05Ji

agmvermeulen

First Name
AGM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My removable converted ashtray holder now a fully functioning charge pad and storage device with completely hidden usb-c power cord routed back to console hatch.

Finished installed pics - my converted ashtray holder storage for house keys etc:

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0179

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0178

Part 1 - removing the rear cupholder assembly - I actually used a trim/removal tool to pop the first retaining clip on the front cup holder with far less effort than using thumbs/fingers as suggested elsewhere.

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0172

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0176

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My removable converted ashtray holder now a fully functioning charge pad and storage device with completely hidden usb-c power cord routed back to console hatch.

Finished installed pics - my converted ashtray holder storage for house keys etc:

IMG_0179.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

Part 1 - removing the rear cupholder assembly - I actually used a trim/removal tool to pop the first retaining clip on the front cup holder with far less effort than using thumbs/fingers as suggested elsewhere.

IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0176.jpeg
It scares me how even your trim/removal tool matches your interior color. I'm pretty ocd but that's next level. Congratulations sir :)

I think I need a holder myself. You're powering it from the usbcs located inside the storage compartment? Do you know the amps it is able to deliver? (aka is it fast charge capable?). Thank you.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It scares me how even your trim/removal tool matches your interior color. I'm pretty ocd but that's next level. Congratulations sir :)

I think I need a holder myself. You're powering it from the usbcs located inside the storage compartment? Do you know the amps it is able to deliver? (aka is it fast charge capable?). Thank you.
Ha indeed, but pure coincidence - had that set for quite a few years prior to this porch :)

I don't actually know that exact output but info possibly in the GTK app - would need to check - but seems to work like a charm.

UPDATE: I looked through the tech data in the GTK app but found no ref to output power from console usb-c ports - I know that the two ports in the rear seats are specifically for charging i.e. fast charging so possibly the two in the console cubby that are data/charge capable may simply be 'normal' power output i.e. not specifically fast chargers but you can use a usb voltmeter to measure output power (useful for any usb plug output). Just ordered one myself as will use for other applications - will have it tonight so can test!

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

OK - results are in :)

Want ahead and tested the voltage and amperage from the rear (specifically the fast ) charging USB-C plugs and compared to the USB-C slots in the cubby of the console .

Bottomline is they are essentially identical which TBH surprised me! So yes the console multi-function ports appear to offer the same level of change capability as the rear dedicated charging ports.

Voltage/amperage fluctuates for example between having the iPhone awake vs asleep and even then to some degree in either state.

It is true that the highest amperage I briefly saw was in the rear at ca 1.5 A but the front reach 1.4+A too. Voltages from front and rear are essentially the same and varied from 5.15 to 5.19 averaging about 5.17 v.

Some pics (obviously with iPhone active) - when put to sleep mode the voltage and amperages decrease in both sets of ports.

Here is an example from one of the front console usb-c ports again with iPhone attached, charging and awake

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0189

And here is an example again with iPhone attached, charging and awake from the rear seat charging usb-c port:

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0192