My 4S always charges past it’s set 85% to 91%??

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Even though my timer is set to charge to 85% every morning by 7AM, it charges past to around 91%. Why?? This is new by the way as my first 6 months of ownership, it was perfect.
Sponsored

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Do you have a timer set AND a profile, or just the timer? And if you have a profile setup, do you have it active (check box = ON)? I have a theory that the car is requesting power from the wall (to compensate for the kW used to heat the car) but may be over-drawing “shore power” such that the net result is added charge. Again just a theory.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Assuming your profile is enabled (checked, and the GPS position is correct), is the profile set for preferred charging times or optimized charging? If preferred charging times, what is the time window?

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Here is a good resource, too:

That video dives deeper into the settings and may help to clarify how they are best utilized for the desired results. Cheers!

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Do you have a timer set AND a profile, or just the timer? And if you have a profile setup, do you have it active (check box = ON)? I have a theory that the car is requesting power from the wall (to compensate for the kW used to heat the car) but may be over-drawing “shore power” such that the net result is added charge. Again just a theory.
I'm thinking the same thing - I've experienced the same issue here. I have a general profile set to 85% max charge and a timer set to pre-heat only (no charging).
If the car is plugged in to the charger when the pre-heating starts, it seems to over-charge, even though the charging to 85% stopped earlier in the morning.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

I have a daily timer and a profile set. The timer is set to complete at 07:00 (when my off-peak (free) electricity ends and a target 85% charge). Note that on any given day if you don't have the charger connected nothing will happen and simply skip to the next day / time the charger is connected.

The profile controls the start and end times in addition to dictating a minimum charge state (the battery will start charging immediately if < 25% and then pause when at 25%) once your charger is connected.

In reality, because I'm not doing many daily miles, my state of charge is around 65% and so the minimum charge state has no impact and to top up to 85% is easily achievable within my 02:00 - 07:00 charging window. It always ends at 85% precisely and before 07:00.

Hopefully these screen shots help to explain.

Porsche Taycan My 4S always charges past it’s set 85% to 91%?? Daily Timer.PNG

Porsche Taycan My 4S always charges past it’s set 85% to 91%?? Profile - Preferred Charging Time

These are the basics but if you want to enable preheat / precool then you can do that but ensure this starts before your charging ends otherwise you will consume some of your 85% before you set off ;). The optimised charging I think requires additional home management hardware which I don't have and therefore ignore. It is good enough (in UK at least) to know your off peak electricity times and create a profile that uses these as its key parameters.

Thx

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I noticed this too.
I also think it has something to do with preheating the car.
The car just don't want to (or isn't allowed to) drain power from the battery, therefore it's using the charger.
Depending on the charger and outside temperature: the colder it is, the earlier it'll start preheating and at the same time the battery is charged too.
On a 3,7kW I have an "overshoot" of 2% and on a 11kW it's about 6%.
Makes sense, right?

Last edited:

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Same here... my 85% ends up at 87% with a nice and warm interior when I leave weekdays.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Even though my timer is set to charge to 85% every morning by 7AM, it charges past to around 91%. Why?? This is new by the way as my first 6 months of ownership, it was perfect.
Do you have preheating on?
And what about the outside temperatures?

OP
OP
MWarsaw

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have preheating on?
And what about the outside temperatures?
Yes, I always prefers the car to 75f as it’s winter here and typically around 30f outside.

Reactions: Dee

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I noticed this too.
The car just don't want to (or isn't allowed to) drain power from the battery, therefore it's using the charger.
Depending on the charger and outside temperature: the colder it is, the earlier it'll start preheating and at the same time the battery is charged too.
Makes sense, right?
I have exactly the same observation as yours. I tried to preheat the car and the battery only since it already was at 85% charge. It did preheat battery from about 9 degrees to 18 degrees in 45 to 50 minutes, but the battery was also charged over the 85% limit. This was on a 11 kW charger.

I agree it seems the ca4 can not do the preheat without charging? But I can not find anything in any documentation on how the preheating is done. Via the stators of the motors or via heating elements or via battery.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I have exactly the same observation as yours. I tried to preheat the car and the battery only since it already was at 85% charge. It did preheat battery from about 9 degrees to 18 degrees in 45 to 50 minutes, but the battery was also charged over the 85% limit. This was on a 11 kW charger.

I agree it seems the ca4 can not do the preheat without charging? But I can not find anything in any documentation on how the preheating is done. Via the stators of the motors or via heating elements or via battery.
All I have is the heat pump which is powered by the battery.
I don't know if cars with heat pumps have heating coils too.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
All I have is the heat pump which is powered by the battery.
I don't know if cars with heat pumps have heating coils too.
Fair point I do not have the heat pump unfortunately

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I noticed this too.
Makes sense, right?
You can stop it overshooting by setting two timers, the first as a charge set to 07:00, the second for, say, preconditioning at 09:00. The charging timer departure time must match the end time of the profile (07:00, in this case).
Sponsored