Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag
Do people not have the perspective change button on the upper screen when the rear view camera is operating? If I don’t want the fisheye, I just touch that and it morphs to a normal perspective.
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Do people not have the perspective change button on the upper screen when the rear view camera is operating? If I don’t want the fisheye, I just touch that and it morphs to a normal perspective.
Agreed. I’m a little confused by the strong dislike here. I wonder whether there are different versions or maybe people don’t know about all setting options.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
I am most surprised that you found the Audi e-tron camera to be good. GT model? I would put the SUV backup camera into the trash category. That and the Macan were two I owned that were just horrible and useless at night. I thought these were mandated safety features.

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Agreed. I’m a little confused by the strong dislike here. I wonder whether there are different versions or maybe people don’t know about all setting options.
The other setting takes away the lines and is still bad...

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am most surprised that you found the Audi e-tron camera to be good. GT model? I would put the SUV backup camera into the trash category. That and the Macan were two I owned that were just horrible and useless at night. I thought these were mandated safety features.
I guess it is because I am comparing it to my Taycan and it is way better than the Taycan

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I saw so many posts about bad backup camera when I was waiting for the car. When I received it, I didn't understand immediately what the fuss was about, but then realized that it's probably because "objects are closer than they appear" :).

I also have an X5, and I actually prefer Taycan's camera to it. X5's camera is not distorted, but it's not fisheye, and I find Taycan's fisheye much more useful, because it shows everything behind the car, and I don't really have to use my head to look around. But one needs to remember that things are closer then they look in the camera, that's all.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is one of those threads that revisits past threads about a problem we've all had, and about which we all have strong opinions.

The only reason I'm posting is that my thinking has evolved. While I hated the camera initially (actually, I thought it was broken) at this point I'm in total agreement with @TDinDC - I've simply gotten used to it.

I also agree that the fisheye view is sometimes helpful in seeing what is happening "around the corner", and that it makes me more cautious (hard for me to believe I'm endorsing the camera, but it appears I am ;)).

For those who are still in "I hate it" mode, let me suggest that you try to take advantage of the camera for what it does well, not what you wish it did better. Because the fisheye is in fact useful, I find myself combining the camera view with the sideview mirrors, over the shoulder, and often (when parking near curbs) the 360º top view.

I think this is making me a bit more cautious when backing up, and so overall it is probably a good thing.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I just don't like the position of it. Had to get out and wipe it just now in a downpour. Going to have to try some rain-x.

Buckets265

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT4
Country flag
I do not have an issue with the camera. Toyota and VW have horrible cameras in the RAV4, Hilux, Caddy, etc. where I cannot even use them. Porsche is a significant step up, especially with the fisheye view.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
@TDinDC @snstevens
There are two issues.

One is that there is NO normal view. There are two views and they are both distorted.

Link below to previous post with pics and videos so there is no question about how my camera view looks.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-quality-to-improve.6423/page-5#post-92778

The second thing is that it’s hard to “get used to” when you don’t drive the car all of the time. The car is my wife’s DD, I only drive it sometimes. But even if it were my DD, I drive work vehicles and rentals so frequently, I would still not get used to it.

And…none of those work vehicles or rentals have ever given me pause the way the Taycan does. Its camera is in a class of its own. And not in a good way.

Reactions: B61

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
Hated it first, now after getting used to it, i can live with it.

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
Could be that the Park Assist button has been 'sacrificed' for the VLC function - not ideal if so!
I just checked and can confirm the park assist button is in the bottom left corner of the lower display. I think I pressed it once when i first got the car, but didn't realize it brought up the same window on the main PCM display as when the car is in reverse gear (or close to an object). If i then push the middle left icon on the park assist screen i can get my camera view. Two button press on two different screens, but it's better than nothing!
Sponsored