My car charges to 100% despite profiles/timers set to 80% - Advice?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
It’s stupid confusing
Yes, it is.

Maximum should not be Minimum (unless Minimum means something else in German and we're lost in translation). The Direct Charge should have a Maximum setting and not always go to 100% (this would allow you to over ride time and percentage state of charge settings in Profiles and Timers). Timers are fine but this 'maximum charge in Timer' and 'minimum charge in Profile' is incredibly confusing.

What happened to Keep It Simple (stupid)?

I've disabled my Timers and deleted my 'Home' profile and now just have one General profile and my charging starts when I plug in and stops when I hit the 'Minimum' in the General profile. Simple.

By the way, the video which Dave777 pointed to was very helpful. It convinced me to ditch the Timer and stick with a basic profile.
Sponsored

HockeyDad

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yes, it is.

Maximum should not be Minimum (unless Minimum means something else in German and we're lost in translation). The Direct Charge should have a Maximum setting and not always go to 100% (this would allow you to over ride time and percentage state of charge settings in Profiles and Timers). Timers are fine but this 'maximum charge in Timer' and 'minimum charge in Profile' is incredibly confusing.

What happened to Keep It Simple (stupid)?

I've disabled my Timers and deleted my 'Home' profile and now just have one General profile and my charging starts when I plug in and stops when I hit the 'Minimum' in the General profile. Simple.

By the way, the video which Dave777 pointed to was very helpful. It convinced me to ditch the Timer and stick with a basic profile.
Typically that’s what I do. I have a timer on my home Juicebox that works great.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I have a timer on my home Juicebox that works great.
Me too. I use the Juicebox 40. I found that the Taycan's Profile and Timers caused bad charging sessions (once it charged to 100%, once it charged to 25% and stopped) and I saw no benefit. So now I just don't use them and I let my Juicebox control the timing of the charge.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Me too. I use the Juicebox 40. I found that the Taycan's Profile and Timers caused bad charging sessions (once it charged to 100%, once it charged to 25% and stopped) and I saw no benefit. So now I just don't use them and I let my Juicebox control the timing of the charge.
Another known glitch of the car. I've experienced this stuff as well.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
I have a pmcc at home, and have timers and a profile enabled on my connect app. The timers and profile are set to charge the battery to a maximum of 80% state of charge. Unfortunately, there have been times where the car continues to charge to 100%, despite “direct charging” being off. Any advice?

image0.png

image1.png

image2.png
very simple solution take all the timers and the home charging profile off and activate general charging and set the percentage at 80% and you will not have any problems anymore.

OP
OP
mrdrummergoalie

mrdrummergoalie

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, but this seems like a terrible solution... The whole idea of the departure timers is that the car will be charged to the designated level (80%) and preheated for me at the specified time. I happen to live in Canada where the temperatures have been extremely cold this winter. In other words, getting into a warm car in the morning is important to me, and should be consistently possible. A car that is >$160k (cad) as built should be able to handle departure timers and different charging profiles. And while we're talking about poor electronics, the infotainment in my Taycan is actually worse than my 2012 Audi. I said it, and I stand by it.
Incidentally, I solved the timer/charging profile issues by deactivating all, then reactivating all. I had tried this before without success, but for some unknown reason it worked the last time I did it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, but this seems like a terrible solution... The whole idea of the departure timers is that the car will be charged to the designated level (80%) and preheated for me at the specified time. I happen to live in Canada where the temperatures have been extremely cold this winter. In other words, getting into a warm car in the morning is important to me, and should be consistently possible. A car that is >$160k (cad) as built should be able to handle departure timers and different charging profiles. And while we're talking about poor electronics, the infotainment in my Taycan is actually worse than my 2012 Audi. I said it, and I stand by it.
Incidentally, I solved the timer/charging profile issues by deactivating all, then reactivating all. I had tried this before without success, but for some unknown reason it worked the last time I did it.
This should work as you wish flawlessly.

Problems can occur when you mix and match profiles, timers and other non-Porsche charging control parameters say from a non-Porsche EVSE.

You've probably tried this already but clean out all charging control from your EVSE and car (all locations) and start over but only use the timer and profile function of the car (in otherwords place your EVSE in 'dumb' mode). Set a departure timer to charge and pre-heat plus set a profile to 25% and make this your 'Home' location.

Seems like you've effectively done a reset which amounts to the same thing but ensure you only control the charging sessions via the Car / My Porsche App.

Could it be your EVSE had an OTA update which maybe upset things a little?

I do this daily and have never had an issue - I use a Porsche EVSE but I'm convinced that's not entirely relevant in this equation.

Let us know what happens.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Which On-Board-Charger is this? The 11 kW or the 22 kW ? If the 22 kW, does it already have the Plug&Charge update?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@W1NGE The 11kW and the 22kW OBCs are from different suppliers. They have different software implementations for all of ISO15118-2, which includes the whole profile and timer mechanisms and more.

So it could be software issue, and if it is, it might be fixed with the recent software update for supporting P&C.

This is just a guess. That‘s why I am asking which OBC it is. Also for those who say it works without issues for them.

Last edited:

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
The confusing thing in this charging user interface is that the general profile has exactly the same user interface as another self-defined profile, but has completely opposite behaviour.
A very clear user interface design failure !

Especially because this is not an exotic use case. Everybody will want to limit charging to 80%-85%.
The design in a Tesla is also not perfect, but at least understandable without going into internet fora and youtube movies.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
The confusing thing in this charging user interface is that the general profile has exactly the same user interface as another self-defined profile, but has completely opposite behaviour.
By spec they should have the same behavior, but just be used on a specific location. Whereas the General Profile should be used wherever there is no location specific profile.

If they behave differently, that is a bug.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Especially because this is not an exotic use case. Everybody will want to limit charging to 80%-85%.
The design in a Tesla is also not perfect, but at least understandable without going into internet fora and youtube movies.
They do the same thing except non General can be location specific. Works extremely well in practice in my experience - 2 homes 2 profiles which auto select by geolocation. What's not to like?

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
They do the same thing except non General can be location specific. Works extremely well in practice in my experience - 2 homes 2 profiles which auto select by geolocation. What's not to like?
The general profile does not behave the same.
-Set the general profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 100%.
-Set another profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 85%. Suddenly the behaviour of a profile is different.
-Set the general profile to 85% and not timer: the car will charge to 85%. Suddenly the minimum is a maximum.
That is not logic to me.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The general profile does not behave the same.
-Set the general profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 100%.
-Set another profile to 25% and a timer to 85%: the car will charge to 85%. Suddenly the behaviour of a profile is different.
-Set the general profile to 85% and not timer: the car will charge to 85%. Suddenly the minimum is a maximum.
That is not logic to me.
It is not the most clear instructions to use.
But if you think about in the following way, it actually is quite logic assuming there is no bug in the SW.
So for this explanation let us use the following assumption. You only set a general profile and set it to charge to 30%. You plug in with a profile set to 30% and the car SOC is 10%. The car starts to charge and pauses at 30%. This needs to work properly and in your case it seems to do so?

Think of it this way. The car has been instructed to charge to 30% when plugged in and when that has been reached, look and wait for further instructions. Ie a minimum level has been set and achieved. What are the next instructions? In this case NOTHING. And the car stops charging.

Now do the same, set a minimum charge level at 30% and a timer to be charged to 85% at 07.00 next day. Plug in the car at 10% SOC and it will start charging to 30% and wait for next instructions. They say it should charge to 85% at 07.00. So now the car needs to check the power it can get from the EVSE ( 7.2kW?? perhaps) and calculate when it needs to start charging in order to reach 85% at 07.00. Unless there is a loss of power when it should start charging or the power available has changed, it should reach 85% at 07.00.

Now in the third case, only set a charge level at 85% and no timer etc. with a SOC at 10%
The car will start charging once plugged in and will charge to a MINIMUM of 85% and look for further instructions. BUT there are NO further instructions! So it will stop at 85%. Which still really is the minimum you have set.

Does this make sense?

For me this has worked exactly as it should when I have charged here at home, but also at hotels and in public parking garages withe EVSE’s.
Sponsored