First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here so let me introduce you to my black on black 4 Cross Turismo with 21” Vossen wheels.

It has full PPF including all the dashboard screens and other high gloss black trim parts.
When I ordered mine in September 2021 (it was delivered in December 2021 due to a slot I could get because of a cancelled order two days before I made the deal with the dealer) I knew I needed a way to take our bikes with us. We have been doing trips to the Alps for 2 years with our previous Tesla Model 3 and when I bought that one it was still possible to get a hitch straight from the factory. Yes consumption is high with bikes on the back but we never had any problems with range.

My dealer told me about the super nice bike rack but let’s be honest…. € 2700,- for a bike rack to replace my already great, foldable rack seemed a bit to much. I have been reading all the threads on this forum but up until now, most solutions are not what I had in mind. I was looking for something that looked completely OEM. I started out with a simple idea and brought that to a business associate who owns a metal factory. After a lot of test fitting etc. we came up with this design. It is double powder coated so it can take a beating. It's just as stable as an original hitch on a normal car and in my opinion looks great. It does everything the OEM Porsche rack does for way less money.

Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 1
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 2
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 3
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 4
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 5
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 6
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 7
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 8
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 9
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 10

Update.
Design pdf added to this post.

Attachments

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Nice job well done indeed - bar looks sharp.

Any side to side motion with the std hitch mount? - probably no more than usual I'd guess.

I do like one aspect of Will's (forum mbr) design that I purchased here in the US in that the 'boxed' rigidity of the 1Up trays on two poles does provide for the most stable platform on any car setup I've had to date - but this design is excellent too and would in fact be very easy to attach addl. stabilizers if needed.

Great to see more ideas and applications.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
This looks fantastic. Very clean. Any thoughts about a hitch receiver on this thing?

OP
OP

David4Cross

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Nice job well done indeed - bar looks sharp.

Any side to side motion with the std hitch mount? - probably no more than usual I'd guess.

I do like one aspect of Will's (forum mbr) design that I purchased here in the US in that the 'boxed' rigidity of the 1Up trays on two poles does provide for the most stable platform on any car setup I've had to date - but this design is excellent too and would in fact be very easy to attach addl. stabilizers if needed.

Great to see more ideas and applications.
Hi,

I Understand your concern but in europe this is the way to go with a bike rack. When this rack came out it was tested as one of the most stable racks out there. It performed best at high speed actions etc. It's the Uebler X21S made in Germany. Check this video to get a better idea on how it is mounted. It self levels when you put it in the hitch:

OP
OP

David4Cross

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
This looks fantastic. Very clean. Any thoughts about a hitch receiver on this thing?
Hi,

Could be possible but you have to redesign the bars. As you can see the hook is only a few inches away from the car. My understanding of the Hitch system you have in the US is that it needs some depth to insert it. So you would have to make the bars stand out more and weld the hitch reciever in the middle. But i'm sure it would work.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Hi,

I Understand your concern but in europe this is the way to go with a bike rack. When this rack came out it was tested as one of the most stable racks out there. It performed best at high speed actions etc. It's the Uebler X21S made in Germany. Check this video to get a better idea on how it is mounted. It self levels when you put it in the hitch:
Yeah I had a near identical unit shipped over from Germany (for the life of me I cannot recall the German manufacturer) on my BMW sport wagon years ago (the company made the OEM options for Audi, BMW Merc) but perhaps lacked this self-leveling option. It is actually still in my garage so should prob dig it out and look!! :)

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
Are you planning on selling those? Or do you have more technical details you can share?

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here so let me introduce you to my black on black 4 Cross Turismo with 21” Vossen wheels.

It has full PPF including all the dashboard screens and other high gloss black trim parts.
When I ordered mine in September 2021 (it was delivered in December 2021 due to a slot I could get because of a cancelled order two days before I made the deal with the dealer) I knew I needed a way to take our bikes with us. We have been doing trips to the Alps for 2 years with our previous Tesla Model 3 and when I bought that one it was still possible to get a hitch straight from the factory. Yes consumption is high with bikes on the back but we never had any problems with range.

My dealer told me about the super nice bike rack but let’s be honest…. € 2700,- for a bike rack to replace my already great, foldable rack seemed a bit to much. I have been reading all the threads on this forum but up until now, most solutions are not what I had in mind. I was looking for something that looked completely OEM. I started out with a simple idea and brought that to a business associate who owns a metal factory. After a lot of test fitting etc. we came up with this design. It is double powder coated so it can take a beating. It's just as stable as an original hitch on a normal car and in my opinion looks great. It does everything the OEM Porsche rack does for way less money.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
This looks fantastic and exactly the solution those of us with existing Thule towbar bike racks need. My one question would be about the electrical connection, can it reach to the side to be plugged in as they are generally next to the towbar so little reach required.

Otherwise assuming it meets speed/weight criteria are you planning to sell them and if so how much roughly? Will cancel my bike rack order if it works.

hannu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Wow, nice execution! Definitely also interested in purchasing the set or the blueprints for this one.

OP
OP

David4Cross

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Are you planning on selling those? Or do you have more technical details you can share?
Hi,

I have no plans on selling these but if you want info please feel free to ask. The factory is clossed at the moment because of the summer holidays. I will post the technical drawing ones I get it. In total this sollution has cost me € 883,- including vat. excluding the bike rack. So not cheap but much cheaper than the Porsche bike rack.

OP
OP

David4Cross

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
This looks fantastic and exactly the solution those of us with existing Thule towbar bike racks need. My one question would be about the electrical connection, can it reach to the side to be plugged in as they are generally next to the towbar so little reach required.

Otherwise assuming it meets speed/weight criteria are you planning to sell them and if so how much roughly? Will cancel my bike rack order if it works.
I had to make a small extension cord for the cable to reach the side. I have just finished it and will test it tomorrow. The plug for the extension is a bit bigger than I hoped so it is real tight. But it fits. I will post an update asap.

OP
OP

David4Cross

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Luckily the extension cord works. That was no fun to make. In the picture you can see that the cable is resting on the frame for the rack but there is no stress on it. I sealed it with some silicone kit and will fill it up with some black kit to make it look better. Other then that everything is done and works perfectly.
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 30
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 31
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 32
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 33
Porsche Taycan My custom hitch for standard bike rack. 34