My DIY mod of the front fender air vents.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I assumed the mesh would allow sufficient airflow to continue working, but I will bow to your superior knowledge on such matters.

I still might do it though as its an easy job and easily removed too.
Air takes the route of least resistance so only a minimal amount will pass through a gauze when it can just go out of the wheelarch.

The standard bars look pretty sensible to me from an aero perspective. I am sure a small amount of small stones and rubber will accumulate in the bottom of the duct. Equally a few square inches of the door just behind the opening will get dirtier. I shall wash it out from time to time.

I have no idea how big a change there is to the airflow with the air curtain but on a formula 1 car 50% of the aerodynamics is managing wheel wakes.

I am sure it is not 50% on a road car though! ?
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Air takes the route of least resistance so only a minimal amount will pass through a gauze when it can just go out of the wheelarch.

The standard bars look pretty sensible to me from an aero perspective. I am sure a small amount of small stones and rubber will accumulate in the bottom of the duct. Equally a few square inches of the door just behind the opening will get dirtier. I shall wash it out from time to time.

I have no idea how big a change there is to the airflow with the air curtain but on a formula 1 car 50% of the aerodynamics is managing wheel wakes.

I am sure it is not 50% on a road car though! ?
51% on my car.....
Just that bit faster than Lewis's Mercedes.
?

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
51% on my car.....
Just that bit faster than Lewis's Mercedes.
?
So, sort of Like Max's Honda when they remove all the cars that were between Lewis and him and allow a fresh set of soft tires for one final drag lap? Seems fair enough...... :angry: ?
but, "that's racing" and we should just get over it, shut up and agree that it is fair, right?

enginerdify

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I assumed the mesh would allow sufficient airflow to continue working, but I will bow to your superior knowledge on such matters.

I still might do it though as its an easy job and easily removed too.
With off-road (expensive plastic)package, those wents are covered.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My understanding is the blocked off vents has to do with optioning the powered charge port doors, not the off road design pacakge.
actualy, i don’t know… but the plastic looks the same.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My understanding is the blocked off vents has to do with optioning the powered charge port doors, not the off road design pacakge.
That is correct.

Reactions: B61

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
after 15k miles, with the vents as is. I don't see any dings on the side panels, or debris stuck in the vents. Are we solving a problem that don't exist?

Do a lot of canyon carving backroads with a lot of debris on the side of the road. But car is completely clean after a wash. Never encounter any issues with the side vents. Now the front bumper is a magnet for bugs. Maybe somebody can figure a way to avoid that. :)

Maybe it's the PPF and I just don't noticed, but if something big hits regular non-PPF to cause dings, I would imagine I'll be able to spot nicks in the PPF.

-ThinkMac-

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
after 15k miles, with the vents as is. I don't see any dings on the side panels, or debris stuck in the vents. Are we solving a problem that don't exist?

Do a lot of canyon carving backroads with a lot of debris on the side of the road. But car is completely clean after a wash. Never encounter any issues with the side vents. Now the front bumper is a magnet for bugs. Maybe somebody can figure a way to avoid that. :)

Maybe it's the PPF and I just don't noticed, but if something big hits regular non-PPF to cause dings, I would imagine I'll be able to spot nicks in the PPF.

-ThinkMac-
This is what I was wondering! Thanks for sharing your experience. I would be wary of screwing anything extra on the car for fear it would void the warranty in some way - perhaps it doesn't. I was also thinking of PPF'ing the door areas (in addition to the front of the car), but if in real-life conditions debris is unlikely cause scratching on the doors, I'm wondering if even that's warranted... The electric charge port doors would've solved the problem, but I didn't opt for those as I'm not sure they wouldn't malfunction when temperatures get below-freezing.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
That is my opinion.
All the speculation I have seen of it being a problem producing dings by stones being thrown up throght the vents do not add up technically.

Yes there will be a build up of of road dirt in the bottom of the duct, like the back of every wheelarch ever made with a void behind.

The trajectory of a stone thrown up by a tyre does not go through the duct so I think it has been non technically minded people over thinking something, sorry.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The trajectory of a stone thrown up by a tyre does not go through the duct so I think it has been non technically minded people over thinking something, sorry.
That highly depends on what road you're driving.
Although it may not go straight from the tire into the vents, stones may bounce off the inner fender liner and will get to the vents eventually...
Still, according to the line of travel and the amount of energy, it's unlikely it'll damage the paint but that's only my opinion...

Last edited:

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Interesting discussions chaps...... has anyone actually encountered real paint or PPF damage (more than elsewhere) just behind the vents? Cheers
Sponsored