jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Some impressions from my drive on I-35 today.
  • I spent most of my time in the far left lane with ACC set to 88 MPH
  • ALK was better than I expected at staying in my lane on curves
  • ALK tended to stay slightly farther to the right side of the lane than I normally would. This would be fine in the far right lane though.
  • The nags about keeping my hands on the wheel (even though they already were) were annoying at first. To fix this I made sure I slightly steered the car the whole time and the nags stopped.
  • Even though I was slightly steering I still felt like I was doing MUCH less Than normal and was not fatigued at all when I arrived at my destination
  • It didn’t feel like the car was bouncing between lane markers at all
  • ALK lost the left lane markers when I would drive on an overpass
  • When ALK would disengage for some reason (happened a couple of times in 1.5 hours) it would do so silently but the white warning message in the left tube was very noticeable since I was slightly still driving. It would be nice to get an audio prompt similar to the croaking frog noise when LKA warns about getting too close to a lane marker.
  • The cars driving assistance systems handled the heavy, fast flowing traffic great
Overall I think the combination of ALK and ACC is great for a road trip and I will definitely use it again when I head out into west Texas in a month or two.
[/QUOTE

Per Good To Know App you can adjust the position of the car in the lane.

Porsche Taycan My experience adding ALK via FoD + driving impressions using ALK 1676766214810
Porsche Taycan My experience adding ALK via FoD + driving impressions using ALK 1676766214810
Sponsored

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Did not know that ALK would recalibrate center. I feel like this might be a more recent thing if my memory serves me. Early on I recall having to keep constant pressure on the wheel to keep center in some cases, but now it seems to be less effort.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
If you’re lucky, after the 3 month trial, the buggy website/backend forgets you subscribed and you get to keep the option for free. Hope no one from Porsche is reading this…
The first thing you do is protect the revenue stream. Anything else is priority 1, 2,…

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Great find @jkjjpc !!! I’ll try that out on my drive home tomorrow.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had ALK month-to-month on my '21 base and used it on lots of very long road trips.

On the GTS I bought it outright as this car is a longer-term keeper for me.

The only thing I dislike is how it silently disengages if it loses the road markers - it really need to beep or something.

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The only thing I dislike is how it silently disengages if it loses the road markers - it really need to beep or something.
I agree.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
The more descriptions/experiences I read of using ALK (and Innodrive) the happier I am for my personal rationale for not spec’ing it - I just cannot buy in to any aspect of the self driving car experience - but entirely a personal perspective.

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
entirely a personal perspective.
100% agree. I couldn’t care less what other people prefer. I’m just glad the car has options to make my experience fantastic in all driving conditions.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
The more descriptions/experiences I read of using ALK (and Innodrive) the happier I am for my personal rationale for not spec’ing it - I just cannot buy in to any aspect of the self driving car experience - but entirely a personal perspective.
I think we need to stay away from "self-driving" anything for the Taycan since what it has is driver assistance and even then, it is very last of the pack. I just rewatched Doug DeMuro's review of the ST and at minute 22, he is saying that Taycan does not even have conductive steering wheel to detect hands simply resting on the wheel to keep ALK from nagging. My limited experience using it was that you have to micro steer to keep ALK engaged which is consistent with the OP's experience.

My point is that we are very far from hands free driving and napping in Tycans. It was pretty common to see Tesla drivers being totally hands free and doing who knows what (looking down at their phones, looking up, or watching videos) on San Francisco highways when I visited for work.

Then you see pretty common news stories, with one today, where a Tesla ran into a stationary fire truck on a highway (25 miles east of San Francisco) at 4am, but they did not report if it was on AutoPilot or not, but the driver did not survive and 4 firefighters injured.

We are better off being engaged in driving with micro steer totally fine with me to keep ALK engaged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On my drive home yesterday I was able to “train” ALK to stay more in the middle of the lane than where it initially prefers (closer to the right lane marker). It seemed to adapt fairly quickly, maybe taking a minute or two of corrective steering input. It was a pleasant drive home.

luv4eternity

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
i wonder , if i can just have the 3 month trial and then decide to buy full ? without doing the month to month

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
i wonder , if i can just have the 3 month trial and then decide to buy in full without doing the month to month
Yes you can.
it’s clear you can have 3/12 free then cancel! Or pay monthly, or buy outright.
But…….
More than one person on this forum have signed up for the free 3/12 then it just keeps running and you don’t get charged. 🤫

luv4eternity

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
Yes you can.
it’s clear you can have 3/12 free then cancel! Or pay monthly, or buy outright.
But…….
More than one person on this forum have signed up for the free 3/12 then it just keeps running and you don’t get charged. 🤫

well, i activated ALK via FOD.
Porsche connect put a $0.10 charge on my card.
Im assuming they will charge me at the 4th month but im praying that they dont seeing that you mentioned more than one person didnt get charged. 🙏🏻

Porsche Taycan My experience adding ALK via FoD + driving impressions using ALK IMG_2797.PNG

luv4eternity

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
It looks like there's been an update recently. Even my plug-and-charge transactions are showing up on the Porsche app now. They use to not show up. I guess someone freaking got their act together too early.

I'm still praying that it won't be at the end of my period. If anyone has any recent testimonies, please share so we can see if the glitch is still working or not :D
Sponsored