SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
First time since delivery (12/2020) that I ventured out of Switzerland on a drive from Zurich to Stuttgart. As also posted by @kreshi this is a nice journey as you get to spend some time on the Autobahn where there is generally not that much traffic. (That Autobahn can be a bit overrated as not that many places or times where the traffic levels make it more frustrating than fun.)

So after entering Germany — where no one was even bothered to check if I had my arrival registration and proof of vaccination and just waved me through — it is only a few kilometres to the Autobahn where for the first time since Taycan ownership I could floor it without fear of landing in jail for speeding :)

In a word: WOW.

Really enjoyed the acceleration and how calm and collected that car is at speed. Felt like driving on rails. Had a pretty long stretch of doing 210 kmh/130mph a couple of times. Did not really want to push it beyond that as I have not driven at high speeds for 2 years given lack of driving in Germany due to COVID. It felt quite effortless, but you can also tell that you are in a very heavy car. Driving a Turbo S must be scary and tempting in Germany.

Consumption was not as bad as I feared! I think I was below 20 kWh/100km on my sedated leg from Zurich to the border and then was at 24 kWh/100km by the time I arrived in Stuttgart.

My charging experience was OK. I decided to go to an Ionity fast charger on route some 80km from Stuttgart as I wanted to have a fair amount of charge when I left Stuttgart as wanted to get out of the city as fast as possible to avoid the going home traffic build up and not need to mess around with charging there. Connection worked without a problem. As battery at around 50% and not perfectly pre-conditioned I only got 150 kW max that tapered down to <100 kW pretty quickly.

Overall very happy with the experience and still very much enjoying this purchase!

P.S. I briefly thought I was going to be able to supply a spy photo of the new Macan as a camouflaged car was driving in front of me at one point in Stuttgart. Looks like it is the refresh of the Mercedes GLB though :-(
Sponsored

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Glad you enjoyed your journey!
When you drive back, you should try going max speed. I’ve never driven a car that is so easy and calm at 260km/h. Then when your battery is almost empty, stop at an Ionity charger. You go from 260km/h traveling to 260kw charging. ?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
almost 20 years ago, I tried 200km/h with volvo v70 and 200+ with s80….but was too fast for me.
everything moves like at “warp speed”, view angle becomes to small…. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t feel comfortable over 170 km/h anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SwissTaycan

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Know where you are coming from @B61 ! Having partly grown up and lived in Germany, Autobahn driving is a little bit in your blood. But yes you have to watch out thinking you can drive top speed when you are 18 and also when you start getting a bit older as experience/reaction time change over time ;-)

I still feel comfortable at 200 km/h but am not so sure I would go for 260 km/h like @kreshi unless it was a dry, temperate day on three lanes with no traffic. The lanes do start getting very narrow when you look ahead at that speed!!!!!!

That said in my humble opinion there are also a lot more "idiots" on the road these days. A fully loaded plumbing company's white van pulled out in front of a Maybach S650 yesterday that had the white van swerving back and forth to get back into his lane and the Maybach emergency breaking in front of me.

Luckily I was at a pretty safe distance from the Maybach -- both of us doing 210 km/h -- which is often my strategy to let a fast car take the risk in front of me and I follow at a safer distance.

White van then decided to race with us and was going 160 km/h and passing people on the right lane (the holiest of holy rules on the Autobahn never to be broken).

I did get some joy when we had a clear road ahead and the Maybach floored it and I effortlessly kept up with him. Maybe he will trade in for a Taycan now?

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I grew up in Germany Stuttgart, so I was used to 180km/h as a comfortable traveling speed?.

I once tried my Cayenne Turbo on the autobahn. At 290km/h it was a bit shaky. In the Taycan it feels like you’re going 120km/h at 250+.

In case someone wants to experience the speed, I offer my services with joy at no cost. ?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I'm not afraid of speed or shaky feeling... I don't feel comfortable how view angle change at "warp speed" :eek:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Ah flashbacks to my last Euro delivery trip back in Sept 2015! We travelled a lot in southern Germany and throughout Switzerland - had the M4 at 160 mph on the Autobahn but TBH, there were so many stretches with reduced speed it took away from the experience somewhat - very different from when I was there as a younger man! Recall also really loving the HUD with speed sign/nav speed input that kept me honest on the Swiss side (another reason I have optioned it in the Taycan) - was seriously concerned of massive fines for speeding there :)!
Envious of you guys, spectacular countries both, and will continue to return whenever we can.

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
Envious of you guys, spectacular countries both, and will continue to return whenever we can.
Europe is open for Americans at the moment. The reverse isn't true, so I envy you a bit for being able to travel to the US National Parks ;)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I grew up in Germany Stuttgart, so I was used to 180km/h as a comfortable traveling speed?.

I once tried my Cayenne Turbo on the autobahn. At 290km/h it was a bit shaky. In the Taycan it feels like you’re going 120km/h at 250+.

In case someone wants to experience the speed, I offer my services with joy at no cost. ?
Good news is vehicles are more stable today at higher speeds due to evolution in engineering, technology and workmanship. I wouldn't try to push triple-digit speeds in a 1975 Lada.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Europe is open for Americans at the moment. The reverse isn't true, so I envy you a bit for being able to travel to the US National Parks ;)
If you can get in - a bit overwhelmed right now! BTW, born-bred in Ireland, lived in the Netherlands and travelled all over Europe as a kid but indeed now have dual Ireland-US citizenship :)
Sponsored