My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail!

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I used the EA charger ONE time in a year. And it was for a demonstration sponsored by Porsche and they were having problems that day. I tried to use a EV GO charger with a chargepoint account and that didn't work either. So, I have very little confidence or experience with any charger other than my own at work or my home.
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I used the EA charger ONE time in a year. And it was for a demonstration sponsored by Porsche and they were having problems that day. I tried to use a EV GO charger with a chargepoint account and that didn't work either. So, I have very little confidence or experience with any charger other than my own at work or my home.

@John89 :

are you sharing that you tried to use a EV Go charger with a ChargePoint login/account? You do realize they are to completely separate companies and have nothing to do with each other, right?

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@John89 :

are you sharing that you tried to use a EV Go charger with a ChargePoint login/account? You do realize they are to completely separate companies and have nothing to do with each other, right?
I know that now. But who the hell wants multiple apps and accounts ?? Not me.

It's too much work and pre-planning. I can only use the car for a 150 -175 mile round trip, max.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@John89 :

It is doable (in theory at least). EVGo and ChargePoint have a roaming partnership so you can start a session from the app of the other company.

https://www.chargepoint.com/about/n...reement-expanding-access-charging-nationwide/

https://www.evgo.com/partner-roaming

Chargepoint has a roaming partnership with EA too
https://www.chargepoint.com/about/n...e-agreement-expand-public-ev-charging-access/

You have to use the filter on CP app to view chargers of other networks

Porsche Taycan My First Public Charge @ Electrify America (EA) - Massive Fail! Screenshot_20210302-202617_ChargePoint

Last edited:

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know that now. But who the hell wants multiple apps and accounts ?? Not me.

Seriously??? It is hard to tell if you are a anti-EV bot or a real Taycan owner. From what you posted so far in this thread you are not a person who should own an EV of any type.

Who wants multiple apps and accounts???? I don't even know how to respond to this comment because it is so ridiculous.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is doable (in theory at least). EVGo and ChargePoint have a roaming partnership so you can start a session from the app of the other company.

https://www.chargepoint.com/about/n...reement-expanding-access-charging-nationwide/

Well, Chargepoint told me (when I called) that they are actually compatible. But it didn't work and I wasn't gonna stick around and waste time. My app on the phone found the EV GO station and it all looked good to go. But when I tried to start charge, it failed.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Chris:

thanks for sharing that. I will have to try that out. I used an EV GO charger today in Tucson, and activated it with my EV GO App.

When I get back to Denver I will try the EV GO charger that is not too far from my house.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Chris:

thanks for sharing that. I will have to try that out. I used an EV GO charger today in Tucson, and activated it with my EV GO App.

When I get back to Denver I will try the EV GO charger that is not too far from my house.
I updated my post. You can also start an EA session from the Chargepoint app, since they have a partnership. But you won't get the free 30 mins. I will try that next weekend.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seriously??? It is hard to tell if you are a anti-EV bot or a real Taycan owner. From what you posted so far in this thread you are not a person who should own an EV of any type.

Who wants multiple apps and accounts???? I don't even know how to respond to this comment because it is so ridiculous.
Bro snake, the fact that you feel you can judge who should or could own an EV is pretty pretentious. I've had my car since last September and been a huge cheerleader for the Taycan. Fact is, as nice car as it is, the charging infrastructure sucks, period. And even the Porsche guys know it. I've worked with my dealership for 30 years and know them well. The whole thing is NOT user friendly, and it hasn't played out as advertised. You may like playing with multiple apps and that's your thing. But when we have to continue to compromise and adapt to a system that doesn't work, that's not kosher.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I updated my post. You can also start an EA session from the Chargepoint app, since they have a partnership. But you won't get the free 30 mins. I will try that next weekend.
Bro snake, the fact that you feel you can judge who should or could own an EV is pretty pretentious. I've had my car since last September and been a huge cheerleader for the Taycan. Fact is, as nice car as it is, the charging infrastructure sucks, period. And even the Porsche guys know it. I've worked with my dealership for 30 years and know them well. The whole thing is NOT user friendly, and it hasn't played out as advertised. You may like playing with multiple apps and that's your thing. But when we have to continue to compromise and adapt to a system that doesn't work, that's not kosher.

You are wrong, and in no position to comment since you shared that you have only driven your car 175 miles at a time max.

There are a number of us on this site that have leveraged the Electrify America network successfully and gone on multiple 2,000 mile road trips. I have 12,000 miles on my Taycan in the past 10 months and have yet to have an issue at an EA charger that was not resolved while I was at the particular location.

Not trying to be a d!ck, but try driving beyond Iowa, Indiana, or Wisconsin before commenting on a charging network you have never used. Is the EA charging process "user friendly" or easy, it depends on who you ask. There is no reason to have a new thread everyday on the same subject.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are wrong, and in no position to comment since you shared that you have only driven your car 175 miles at a time max.

There are a number of us on this site that have leveraged the Electrify America network successfully and gone on multiple 2,000 mile road trips. I have 12,000 miles on my Taycan in the past 10 months and have yet to have an issue at an EA charger that was not resolved while I was at the particular location.

Not trying to be a d!ck, but try driving beyond Iowa, Indiana, or Wisconsin before commenting on a charging network you have never used. Is the EA charging process "user friendly" or easy, it depends on who you ask. There is no reason to have a new thread everyday on the same subject.
OK, I will go the EA station near me tomorrow and give it a try. I will see how it goes and take pics if there are any issues. I will post them here.

One other good point you raised. Although I do a lot of heavy driving regionally, I do NOT take long road trips by car. Anything over 300 miles and I'm flying.....

Update: After more thought- I may not do long road trips, but I do a lot of driving in the summer months. I have days that are 150+ miles, 5 days a week. If I add some additional stops those days I can be over 200 miles. For me, and I really care most about me, there are very few EA stations and not many 150KW stations from other vendors where I drive (I also have 2 buddies that both have a Turbo and Turbo s). There is an EV GO and a EA station about 2 miles from my office....means nothing as I have a charger at my office and my home is only another 4 miles from there. But for the bulk of my daily driving, the infrastructure doesn't exist. Add to that that many of you have to call EA or Chargepoint, etc to have them "re-set" the machines or walk you through the apps, and that isn't very user friendly in my book. It seems from the numerous posts here, what I hear from my buddies, what I hear from my dealership.....where there is smoke there is fire.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Your recent remarks left out the key part that your experience happened because of USER ERROR, not the charging network. Quit broadcasting your lack of knowlege/ignorance. There is a reason your other thread got locked.
it is not user error, it is the shortcomings of the apps it is the "plug and charge" feature introduced on the 2021 models that does not work.

please enlighten us on this from the porsche web site;

The Porsche Taycan is receiving a number of updates and new features for the 2021 model year. Innovations include Plug & Charge, vehicle functions that can be flexibly booked online (Function on Demand, FoD), and a color head-up display, while seven new exterior colors and five new interior trims provide owners with more options and choices in configuring their Taycan. The styling (both inside and out), performance, and dynamics that set the Taycan apart remain unchanged – the new options bring with them an enhanced ownership experience.
and
Even more convenient charging
Separate to the new Function on Demand services, Plug & Charge simplifies charging: Taycan drivers merely have to plug in the charging cable and authentication is handled automatically via the ISO 15118 standard. As a result, the charging station identifies the connected vehicle and can process payments securely and automatically. Plug & Charge will be available at many Electrify America charging points at the start of 2021.

source; https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/e-performance/magazine/taycan-model-new-features/

user error, feh! your remarks are rude and arrogant in addition to misinformed.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
What remains to be seen is what the Taycan’s battery degradation is over time. Tesla could change the charging curve, bit it’s always a trade off. We already have a small indication that Porsche is concerned about this with the new “battery friendly” mode that limits the peak charge rate to 200kW. Tesla also has other limits in place, including tiers based on total kWh charged via level 3. When these tiers are hit, the peak charge rate is further limited/reduced.

We don’t yet know If Porsche has these limits in place, or if they might push them later via OTA. I would be very surprised if they don’t. If they have oversized the pack and/or are using a battery chemistry that will survive prolonged L3 I’ll be ecstatic. But I doubt it.
battery degradation is the elephant in the room that is rarely discussed. it is part of the equation for every Lithium battery in an EV.

from the porsche web site;
Like all lithium-ion batteries, the lithium-ion battery in the Porsche Taycan is subject to physical and chemical aging, as well as wear and tear. Therefore, the Taycan battery will experience a reduction in the amount of electricity or charge it can hold over time, resulting in a reduction in the vehicle’s range and an increase in charging times. This is normal and expected.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
which circles back to my remark that the porsche marketing regarding fast charging is quite misleading

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Kort, we really understand your frustration about your trip. But you have gotten to the point where you are spamming the forum with your rage against EA and Porsche. Porsche is not doing false advertisement at all. The car does charge very quick. You are not helping anyone with bashing Porsche in 15 different threads. EA is the issue and that has been known here since day one.
correction, the car is capable of charging very quickly , the reality is that it is difficult to find a working charge unit and one that will complete the interface with the car to make that fast charge.

EA is one part of the issue, the wonky porsche charge app, the wonky PCM app and the failure of the "plug and charge" feature are another part of the problem and is on porsche.
Sponsored

Last edited: