ms-in-uk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
My first moderately long trip in the UK.

Left mid Kent fully charged and stopped at Rugby services 3 and a bit hours later. 40mph average (traffic was horrible). Arrived Rugby 53% charge. Bio break and food, returned to car 98% full. Arrived mid west coast Wales with 52% remaining, charged on the granny charger to 100%. Back to Rugby with 55% remaining, short stop charged to 86%, home with 36% remaining.

Points to note

The car was really quiet (apart from some horrible tyre noise on bad surfaces) and I was impressed with the consumption on the winding roads. My Macan was very inefficient on the hills and twisties, but regen seems to cancel this out on the Taycan.

The car is WIDE. Farm tracks are not your friend, especially at night. Surround camera was a great option to have.

I have Innodrive and this was essential in the terrible traffic jams, I know its not to everyone’s taste but I spend a lot of time in traffic jams and it takes the pressure off me. Set at 75mph most of the time.

Fully loaded the car up with people and kit, and I really could not tell much difference from just me in it, its effortless.

Charging stalls at Rugby were fast (350) and I was getting close to 200 at points. A few dead or just not responding but I did not have to wait. 50p per KWh tho…..

The mains charger was great when I worked out I could turn it up to 100% from 50% 😊. Make friends with people with outbuildings with conveniently located power sockets!

Temps were 20 degrees c or thereabouts so that helped.

20” turbo wheels before anyone else asks. And I drove in Range mode too. (RWD with PB+)

Hope this helps, especially the waiters!
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Left mid Kent fully charged and stopped at Rugby services 3 and a bit hours later. 40mph average (traffic was horrible). Arrived Rugby 53% charge. Bio break and food, returned to car 98% full. Arrived mid west coast Wales with 52% remaining, charged on the granny charger to 100%. Back to Rugby with 55% remaining, short stop charged to 86%, home with 36% remaining.

Points to note

The car was really quiet (apart from some horrible tyre noise on bad surfaces) and I was impressed with the consumption on the winding roads. My Macan was very inefficient on the hills and twisties, but regen seems to cancel this out on the Taycan.

The car is WIDE. Farm tracks are not your friend, especially at night. Surround camera was a great option to have.

I have Innodrive and this was essential in the terrible traffic jams, I know its not to everyone’s taste but I spend a lot of time in traffic jams and it takes the pressure off me. Set at 75mph most of the time.

Fully loaded the car up with people and kit, and I really could not tell much difference from just me in it, its effortless.

Charging stalls at Rugby were fast (350) and I was getting close to 200 at points. A few dead or just not responding but I did not have to wait. 50p per KWh tho…..

The mains charger was great when I worked out I could turn it up to 100% from 50% 😊. Make friends with people with outbuildings with conveniently located power sockets!

20” turbo wheels before anyone else asks. And I drove in Range mode too. (RWD with PB+)

Thanks for the report.

It would be interesting to share your consumption data (Trip Total) in miles / kWh and if you have air suspension.

One thing I've not yet figured is the Range Drive Mode 'advantage' with a RWD given there is only a single (rear) motor. On dual motor variants the advantage is now quite marginal (depending on weather etc) < 10 miles at best than it was back in 2020 (software tweaks since then have eroded it) but I've no clue on what impact (if any) it has on typical journeys where little use of max power / moderate power is typically used. I suspect the result will be even more marginal.

Personally, I'm close to giving up on Range mode now as the car will bottom on certain roads and so why sacrifice comfort over a token few miles of range is my thinking.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the report.

It would be interesting to share your consumption data (Trip Total) in miles / kWh and if you have air suspension.

One thing I've not yet figured is the Range Drive Mode 'advantage' with a RWD given there is only a single (rear) motor. On dual motor variants the advantage is now quite marginal (depending on weather etc) < 10 miles at best than it was back in 2020 (software tweaks since then have eroded it) but I've no clue on what impact (if any) it has on typical journeys where little use of max power / moderate power is typically used. I suspect the result will be even more marginal.

Personally, I'm close to giving up on Range mode now as the car will bottom on certain roads and so why sacrifice comfort over a token few miles of range is my thinking.
I did the PEC at Silverstone a few weeks ago and my instructor suggested keeping Range Mode settings as default and only using it when you are desperate to eek out a few extra miles to get to a charger.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Thanks for the report.

Correct. Switching to Range mode from Normal on my RWD normally adds 5 miles to the estimated range at most. Might as well use Sport and have some fun.

OP
OP
ms-in-uk

ms-in-uk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
Thanks for the report.

I got 3.5 on the way out and 3.2 on the way back. I may have had a little fun towards home tho. No air suspension, standard PASM.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I did the PEC at Silverstone a few weeks ago and my instructor suggested keeping Range Mode settings as default and only using it when you are desperate to eek out a few extra miles to get to a charger.
Mine said exactly the same. Said Normal mode does a great job and Sport for when you want a bit more speed. Sport+ for when it's absolutely dead on the roads, or track work

I got 3.5 on the way out and 3.2 on the way back. I may have had a little fun towards home tho. No air suspension, standard PASM.
Thanks for the write-up and extra info 👍

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thx for sharing.

Averaging around 3.3 mi/kWh which is my average over 16.6K miles (not reset Total Trip since day 1 - Nov'20).

So my un-scientific analysis of Range Mode thus far would suggest that without air suspension you will derive even less benefit (on average) as part of this drive mode will automatically lower the car to improve the aero dynamics.

The winter is fast approaching so perhaps Range Mode will come to the fore again when there may be some greater range benefit (if needed) to tolerate AC in Eco / Eco Plus mode - but two years on and with the various software efficiency tweaks we've all benefited from it may remain marginal. I'd rather we warm than cold I guess.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Thx for sharing.

So my un-scientific analysis of Range Mode thus far would suggest that without air suspension you will derive even less benefit (on average) as part of this drive mode will automatically lower the car to improve the aero dynamics.
The car lowers in standard mode once you are going over about 60mph. At least mine does. As you suggest, the main benefit is probably running the AC in Eco mode and is therefore marginal

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The car lowers in standard mode once you are going over about 60mph. At least mine does. As you suggest, the main benefit is probably running the AC in Eco mode and is therefore marginal
All cars with air suspension automatically adjust the ride height at various preset speeds.

In addition to that Range Drive mode immediately lowers the car to the lowest setting, closes the external air vents, raises the rear spoiler on the saloon, switches AC to ECO Mode (can be user modified) which reduces the compressor power, disables rear heating where 4-zone has been installed, has a max speed setting and will reduce headlight brightness if needed.

AC can be set to ECO Plus but really not advisable particularly in winter (screen misting).

Prior to all software updates provided and installed this year, Range Mode would lead to double digit increase in reported range ~ 17 miles (more if AC is set to OFF) which is of benefit. Interesting to learn what changes this winter and my guess is that the gains may be less due primarily to the efficiency tweaks now in place.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I would use range mode if I could work out how to nudge up the max speed. Looked in all the menus...but should probably consult the manual...

I would be confident in most conditions up to 250 mile drive in any mode.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would use range mode if I could work out how to nudge up the max speed. Looked in all the menus...but should probably consult the manual...

I would be confident in most conditions up to 250 mile drive in any mode.
PCM -> Car -> '...' -> Range Drive Mode Configuration -> and then set your max speed

Porsche Taycan My first UK road trip - Mid Kent to West Coast of Wales in Taycan RWD 1662996964871

Note you can override by 'kickdown' to get of trouble if needed.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
In addition to that Range Drive mode immediately lowers the car to the lowest setting, closes the external air vents, raises the rear spoiler on the saloon, switches AC to ECO Mode (can be user modified) which reduces the compressor power, disables rear heating where 4-zone has been installed, has a max speed setting and will reduce headlight brightness if needed.
And turns off passenger display – can be overridden by passenger each time range mode is selected. I cannot imagine the passenger display zap's too much milage.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Points to note

Thanks for the report. Could not agree more re. the width issue on European countryside tracks, got thrown into the deep end navigating the infamously narrow mountain road to/from Port de Valldemossa this summer:)
Sponsored