Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
InnoDrive can handle roundabouts? That would be amazing! Would love to see a video on that...
Yes, that would be very interesting. Every time I’ve tried that before in other cars it’s like taking a huge leap of faith! Screaming as it accelerates into the first bend! Lol
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I just gave some of the employees at the BMW place a ride while explaining how BMW started with the I division and then threw away their entire lead in EVs...
Wow, that's rough! But they deserve it! We all wonder what on earth is going on in Munich! Any comments from BMW guys? :like:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Wow, that's rough! But they deserve it! We all wonder what on earth is going on in Munich! Any comments from BMW guys? :like:
I’ve been having similar conversations with BMW product managers since 2012. They were (and still are?) adamant the Hybrids are the way to go and people don’t really want full EVs.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@EnjoyTheDrive
I have heard stories, not only on this forum but other EV forums where a Taycan has pulled into a charging station and either they could not make the charger hook up, or it clicked off before they got any realistic charge, etc. these are hardware and software issues and VW/Porsche has had at least 10 years to work on this as VW has been stating they will be coming out with competitive EV’s to Tesla since 2011/2012.
I have driven an EV for several years now and watch PlugShare comments for Chargers along trips and have done a 1000mi roadtrip in a Chevy Bolt EV. And I agree charging has been far from 100%; however, trying to lay that issue as a Taycan issue I think is unfair. The issues usually work back to be a charger issue. There are many different DCFC makers and many models and for CCS there are many car manufacturers. Interoperability is the challenge.

Tesla simplified the problem by creating a proprietary charging network. Yes, if Porsche had that then I believe that you would not see charge session issues, but that would not allow flexibility to the consumer, nor create independent business like EVgo, ChargePoint and Electrify America (yes I know that is a llc of VW group).

I feel that the charger connect issues have dropped in magnate over the last 2 years and the network is growing. I certainly plan to take the Taycan on roadtrips independent of having other cars.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve been having similar conversations with BMW product managers since 2012. They were (and still are?) adamant the Hybrids are the way to go and people don’t really want full EVs.
they explain how a $50K hybrid will compete with a model 3 ? Because there are some sweet hybrids in the > $150K range, but all the normal people hybrids suck for driving experience. Especially the low end BMW 3 series.

also, if nobody wants them what happened to BMW sales in the world’s 8th largest economy ? I’ve never seen anything disappear that fast lol

Ormond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
No I am not a fan of film protection, ceramic coating is great. But they all have a slight yellowing effect which is not good for blue or white cars (on the other hand on Mamba green it would make it even richer). I just use high quality wax and wishful thinking.

I do not believe I can program the brightness, there is a shortcut where you can change the ambient color, and you can use voice command to change the ambient lighting level. But I am talking about the “master” brightness that effects all displays and interior lighting. That one is the one that is a pain.

The ride quality is very very good. In Comfort it is like a very sport sedan, responsive but eats up bumps. In Sport/Sport+ you immediately feel it tighten up, feel the road more, I can’t tell you how much more handling it gains yet, I only pushed a few corners I know well in Sports+. There is a nasty 15 mph hairpin that I can top out at 45-50 in other cars and I pushed the Taycan to 45 and it simply didn’t care it, it just spun around it (and this was at 45F so bad for stickiness). And other cars have summer tires, this is all season.

The Alfa is a mechanical sports car, the ride is tight but not harsh and perfectly center balanced, it simply “spins.” The Taycan is closest to that, and I am not sure how much of it is simply the car and how much does 4 wheel steering help. The i8 in Sport is like a softer version of the Taycan in Sport, and its overall chassis is not meant to be Taycan level handling, The Jaguar is a little top heavy, it can handle and the lean is controlled, but the Taycan feels every bit as “low” in weight as the Alfa, maybe even lower.
Did you like the Jaguar or recommend it?

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Did you like the Jaguar or recommend it?
I still have it and I really like it a lot. It is incredibly fun to drive, sporty, handles well, and even helped me avoid an accident by being able to easily go up a 45 degree embankment when a car careened in the middle of the road towards me. Its a completely different beast than the Taycan.

Only weak side is infotainment, everything else is first rate (including drivetrain and interior).

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I read earlier in this thread where someone asked about having the Range Monitor. This software should be standard and not a $300 option as this feature, if it does what it is supposed to do, is crucial and should be integrated into any EV. This is what seperates a car from a toy or compliance car.

This Taycan that I have ordered and expecting delivery in the May/June timeframe (has been pushed back at least 3x due to, what I have heard from reliable sources in Germany, are software and integration problems for all Porsche Taycans) is the most I have spent on any car, because it is a Porsche and I believe (Hope) they will do this right.

To have an EV show on the screen where the nearest gas station is tells me they really don’t have their act together yet. How does any logically thinking person not complain about this function on an EV? They are still thinking like an ICE Manufacturer and this is a concern that even Diess, CEO of Volkswagen, has. Here is a direct quote from a very recent speech Diess made about their focus on EV’s:

1579844652474.jpeg

The point in posting this is that I have been on this forum since mid last year as a “car guy” and Porsche guy having tracked many of my cars, love cars, and love fast cars that communicate as you are one with your car on the track and know that Porsche does this better than almost every other car manufacturer, but realize that electric (EV) are the future. And I am hoping that Porsche can take their DNA and make it into an EV. But, the Tesla’s I have, have been on a higher paradigm than any other car I have owned...they get it! They got all of the right stuff integrated. Maybe it helps that they have vertically integrated almost every one of their processes and not getting parts from 50 different suppliers and none of the suppliers are talking to each other, thus making software and hardware integration much harder as the different parts are not “talking” to each other.

But, when I talk about Tesla and their technology lead on this forum, with no disrespect to Porsche, I am considered a “fanboy” as many say that this is a Porsche and you drive it like a Porsche so range should not matter. Range should not matter if you consider this Taycan as a toy and not as a daily driver. I am guessing that most of us on this forum have more than one car, so for long trips, you could take another car. But, even if I have other cars, I still want to drive my Porsche and if I can’t make it to the next charger and continue my drive because I love driving, than this becomes a very expensive toy for very short usage. Porsche and VW are still working on their charging stations, but this should have been done well before their cars have come out. I have heard stories, not only on this forum but other EV forums where a Taycan has pulled into a charging station and either they could not make the charger hook up, or it clicked off before they got any realistic charge, etc. these are hardware and software issues and VW/Porsche has had at least 10 years to work on this as VW has been stating they will be coming out with competitive EV’s to Tesla since 2011/2012. Just look at their ID cars, the VW EV that is supposed to compete with the Model 3. They have been pushed back now 2-3 times and now might not be ready for prime time till 2021.

I hope Porsche/VW figures this all out, and they have had time and resources to do it as the 2nd largest, sorry, now the 3rd largest car manufacturer in the world.

looking forward to my Taycan when it arrives, sometime in 2020!
The Tesla function that suggests routes via Superchargers is unusable. I switched it off years ago on my Tesla and it is not a requirement for this car either. However, I do use the Trip Graph feature in the Tesla which forecasts battery percentages on arrival and is incredibly accurate on my P100D.

However, I am pleased that the Taycan has a GOM (guessometer) which forecasts the range based on previous conditions and driving style. No Tesla has this feature as its forecast range is based on a fixed algorithm.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The Tesla function that suggests routes via Superchargers is unusable. I switched it off years ago on my Tesla and it is not a requirement for this car either. However, I do use the Trip Graph feature in the Tesla which forecasts battery percentages on arrival and is incredibly accurate on my P100D.

However, I am pleased that the Taycan has a GOM (guessometer) which forecasts the range based on previous conditions and driving style. No Tesla has this feature as its forecast range is based on a fixed algorithm.
I think the Charging planner will be great for longer trips. I think it will be great if you can plan a route and the car will suggest stops at Rapid Chargers, giving you both the estimated charge level at arrival and also the estimated time for a charge to reach your next stop! And also do not forget that the car should then precondition the battery to be able to make use of the Rapid Charger!!! I guess that function is not in your Tesla model S???

And it seems you have a very accurate prediction of the cars SOC when you arrive at your destination, which is all you really want isn’t it? If you aim to arrive at a charger with 10 to 15% in the battery and that is accurately predicted, is all I would ask for. Could not care less if there is 40 or 70 km range left.
Sponsored