My impressions after a week…and some tips'n'tricks?

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
The car is incredible, handling is astounding, finish quality is perfect.

It can go from house cat almost napping (when my wife is driving) to a cheetah chasing it’s prey.

Handling on snow is as good as my Land Rover Discovery Sport (as long there is not 30 cm snow???), the only thing that I miss is the Hill Descent Control.

Consumption is quite funny it goes from -32 kW/100 km (when I go downhill to catch my train, up to more than 120 kW/100 km when I go back home “Porsche” style.

It’s nice to warm the car before you leave, don’t forget that it drains clearly the battery (around 5% for me when set temperature is 22°C and outside temperature is 0°C)

Some experiences on various topics:

Sport chrono
I choose it in my configuration to have the knob, but riding the car a week I thought the clock really belong there and it’s very convenient to read the time? as with my actual seat/wheel setting I don't see the time from the instrument cluster

PCM
When I did my test drive with I found it quite unhandy. But when I did ride home back after pick-up I had 2 ½ hour ride I had all the time to get my hands on and find it fine enough .

Favorites from Navigation
I wanted to change the name of the favorites and it was only possible on the web site from Porsche Connect. It was not possible within the android app nor in the car.

Address book from phone
Strangely I got every entry twice?, did not find why... Maybe the calendar app (currently it's my google account which is synchronised) I still have to find out.

Play songs from USB
When I did played songs from an “artist” the play order was without logic, when you play it out of folder it work well. Did anyone knows if PCM accept playlists or if there is a workaround when you select an artist that the PCM play songs in order, album after album. Update, it accept playlist (*.m3u) I generated it with https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ placed it on the root of the USB and it worked flawlessly.

By starting the car again the next day it started where it was in the playlist.

Has anybody achieved to play music from USB with speech recognition?

Scrolling around music files
I found that if your browsing from files and folders then you have the usual

But if you browse from Artist or other mp3 tag related "sorting" then appear a scroll bar on the right where you can at least choose a letter.

Comfort access
As other I found that it doesn’t work all the time to unlock the car, sometime yes (most of time) – sometimes no.
The trunk opening with the foot is quite unreliable, I think when the car is already open it works better.
I did not find a way to have an automatic lock of the car when you leave it. Anbody ?

HUD
Very nice, I see it as a “safety” feature as you don’t need to have a look at your dashboard (I look at my dashboard only when I get in to have the battery information).

Night vision assit
Very useful, helped me to avoid a deer (I live uphill in the mountains)

Innodrive
Works fine on motorways, on smaller road it's another story.... You have to be careful if you choose not to follow the route indicated by the GPS (e.g. you continue following the main road when the GPS have choosen a right turn, as the car will slow down frankly to prepare for the right turn).

Armrest:
A litlle bit awkward to get to plug the USB-C devices, as with the armrest open it come in the way of my arm

Front trunk
Just perfect for my weekly grocery shopping:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:. Love it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TIM

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
Update 20.12.20
sport chrono​
adress book​
songs from USB​
Scrolling around music files
Innodrive​
armrest​
Front trunk​
see my previous post ;)

Last edited:

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Hmmh can‘t recognise the mountain range behind your lovely car :)

Enjoy. I have 2 more weeks to wait!

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
The guy who designed the armrest cover should be fired (or at least reassigned to another job at another car company)... it doesn't open big enough nor stay open by itself...

Door handles not always presenting itself when walking to the car... even with the FOB in my hand...

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
The guy who designed the armrest cover should be fired (or at least reassigned to another job at another car company)... it doesn't open big enough nor stay open by itself...

Door handles not always presenting itself when walking to the car... even with the FOB in my hand...
I had to put something in my centre armrest today in my GTR and it was awkward and the lid didn’t open all the way or stay up - made me think of my pending Taycan. At least I won’t be missing anything!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Consumption is quite funny it goes from -32 kW/100 km (when I go downhill to catch my train, up to more than 120 kW/100 km when I go back home “Porsche” style.
I see up to -44 kWh/100km, but only reach 26 kWh/100km back up to my parking spot. Using 120 uphill sounds fun!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I had to put something in my centre armrest today in my GTR and it was awkward and the lid didn’t open all the way or stay up - made me think of my pending Taycan. At least I won’t be missing anything!
So there is a tradition in "form over function"?

I don't think it is that bad. The compartment is pretty small and my phone NEVER goes in there, I have a cradle for charging and using my phone for navigation.

I wonder, if there wasn't any better way to design this.

BTW, I have a sneaky suspicion, that my phone in the car has better cellphone reception than the builtin wireless module in the car offering the WiFi hotspot. It that the case?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Handling on snow is as good as my Land Rover Discovery Sport (as long there is not 30 cm snow???), the only thing that I miss is the Hill Descent Control.
I use Hill Descent at 20 mph coming off our hill all the time with our Turbo S - it is called Cruise Control. Like the original 2015 Macan, as soon as you start rolling, flick the cruise control forward - it jumps to 20 mph if your speed is <20 mph. (part of the same design team for both vehicles). This feature was removed from later Macans. ?

OP
OP
TIM

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
Sounds interesting! What is it?
When the road downhill is really snowy / icy with the hill descent control on my Discovery Sport I can set a speed from 1 to 30 km/h and the car limit the speed. So you'll have only to drive the car without having to cope for the brakes. Really great, I use it normally a few time in winter ;)

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
So there is a tradition in "form over function"?

I don't think it is that bad. The compartment is pretty small and my phone NEVER goes in there, I have a cradle for charging and using my phone for navigation.

I wonder, if there wasn't any better way to design this.

BTW, I have a sneaky suspicion, that my phone in the car has better cellphone reception than the builtin wireless module in the car offering the WiFi hotspot. It that the case?
In my 2018 Panamera, when it’s opens, it stays open until you close it. In the Taycan, it doesn’t stay open. Should have it swing further beyond 90 degrees to have it stay open or have a mechanical hinge to keep it open at a lesser angle. I don’t put my phone in their. Just keys and other items that might get used more frequently.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think I recall reading somewhere that if you have the Qi wireless charging option there is some sort of antenna coupling as well such that the reception in the phone holder in the armrest will be better than just sitting inside the vehicle. This may be the case without the Qi charging option, and it may not matter if you don't have the noise insulated glass - and I haven't done any sort of scientifical testing on this at all. So take it FWIW.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Comfort access.
The trunk opening with the foot is quite unreliable, I think when the car is already open it works better.
I did not find a way to have an automatic lock of the car when you leave it. Anbody ?
You are not doing the trunk opening gesture correctly. You need to do a straight kick under the back of the car in the centre. Do not wave the foot from side to side. The car must have seen the key to work (the red light on the key will be flashing). It works every time for me.

If the car is unlocked and none of the doors are opened, it will lock automatically after 45 secs.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
You are not doing the trunk opening gesture correctly. You need to do a straight kick under the back of the car in the centre. Do not wave the foot from side to side. The car must have seen the key to work (the red light on the key will be flashing). It works every time for me.

If the car is unlocked and none of the doors are opened, it will lock automatically after 45 secs.
Kick under the O in PORSCHE (for Open) for best result.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I use Hill Descent at 20 mph coming off our hill all the time with our Turbo S - it is called Cruise Control. Like the original 2015 Macan, as soon as you start rolling, flick the cruise control forward - it jumps to 20 mph if your speed is <20 mph. (part of the same design team for both vehicles). This feature was removed from later Macans. ?
30km/h on my down hill is way too fast.
Sponsored

Reactions: TIM