My mathematical mind's intuition was right ! Our Taycan's consumption figures are way off !

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I have suspected this for over a year. According to the indicator in the car and My Porsche data, the consumption gets better as the mileage increases, which is not true. I have been suspecting for a long time that the info was bogus, as the total average consumption was quite a bit lower than any trip average I have seen. 2+2 is always four and my findings confirm that you cannot rely on the data shown. In my case, the "consumption" was at 24,3 kWh/100 km at 5015 kms and has been improving to reach 20,3 kWh/100 km at 33761 kms. This would be great if true, yet I think not even a 4S has this numbers. As I had some time and was intrigued by the real numbers, I decided to make a spreadsheet with all the data. First I should note that the total kms. in the spreadsheet when added are somewhat short. Rounding down could have a minor effect but by no means the over 2000 kms. difference. Only explanation I can find is that when the car is put in service mode by the dealer it does not store the data, or else a software glitch (really ?):headbang:
In short, I get a total consumption in kW of 7975 for 31630 kms. or a real consumption figure of 25,2 kWh/100 km.
Attached are the My Porsche trip data and a spreadsheet including all trips since charge.

Porsche Taycan My mathematical mind's intuition was right !  Our Taycan's consumption figures are way off ! Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 16.23.27

Attachments

Last edited:

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
so you are saying that it is less efficient than it is calculating? This might explain why people are running out of battery when their PIRM is telling them they can make it and is not just explained by higher speed or a heavy foot (which if it was 'intelligent' should calculate based on past driving habits). This is a major issue as I think you are saying that we can't rely on the computer? This sounds like diesel gate all over again and could be electrongate or Wattgate

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, only the total trip consumption is off. The rest is okay, the guess-o-meter and the current trip average and average from last charge are okay. It is a matter of somebody messing up in the formula they used, but only this small part. The rest, which is the most important, I find very accurate.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Yeah, i don't trust these numbers for one second. For my car at 2000 miles they report 0.6KWh per mile (or 60KWh per 100miles) which would be awful if true. Definitely something is off there as I'm seeing real world range of ~210miles. Your guessed number of 25.2kwh/100km is about 206 miles of range for the whole battery, which is also in line i think. It should probably get better in the warm weather - i expect to see another 10% improvement

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
No idea what the range of my car is. I simply stop and charge my car when i need to, I then set off on my way again when I get bored of waiting, then repeat as necessary. This seems to work as always get where I need too….

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have suspected this for over a year. According to the indicator in the car and My Porsche data, the consumption gets better as the mileage increases, which is not true. I have been suspecting for a long time that the info was bogus, as the total average consumption was quite a bit lower than any trip average I have seen. 2+2 is always four and my findings confirm that you cannot rely on the data shown. In my case, the "consumption" was at 24,3 kWh/100 km at 5015 kms and has been improving to reach 20,3 kWh/100 km at 33761 kms. This would be great if true, yet I think not even a 4S has this numbers. As I had some time and was intrigued by the real numbers, I decided to make a spreadsheet with all the data. First I should note that the total kms. in the spreadsheet when added are somewhat short. Rounding down could have a minor effect but by no means the over 2000 kms. difference. Only explanation I can find is that when the car is put in service mode by the dealer it does not store the data, or else a software glitch (really ?):headbang:
In short, I get a total consumption in kW of 7975 for 31630 kms. or a real consumption figure of 25,2 kWh/100 km.
Attached are the My Porsche trip data and a spreadsheet including all trips since charge.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 16.23.27 .png
So, your Consumption (kW) numbers in the last column of your spreadsheet is the consumption number which was displayed on the PCM after each separate trip? Or was it the consumption you calculated after each charging session?

SebastienBeun

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 992 Carrera S
Country flag
No, only the total trip consumption is off. The rest is okay, the guess-o-meter and the current trip average and average from last charge are okay. It is a matter of somebody messing up in the formula they used, but only this small part. The rest, which is the most important, I find very accurate.
That is interesting... I've often wondered how some fellow Taycan owners here could get an average consumption of... let's say 20kW/100km when that of my Turbo lies around 24-25kW/100km (I know that RWD or 4S have lower consumptions but still).
On my "My Porsche" page, the average consumptions look accurate, though. I joined a screenshot below, for info.
Porsche Taycan My mathematical mind's intuition was right !  Our Taycan's consumption figures are way off ! Capture d’écran 2022-03-07 à 20.40.54

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, your Consumption (kW) numbers in the last column of your spreadsheet is the consumption number which was displayed on the PCM after each separate trip? Or was it the consumption you calculated after each charging session?
I calculated it by multiplying the distance by the consumption from the data in My Porsche and dividing by 100.

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
I noticed this too - thanks for the confirmation here. I had always wondered why the total average consumption and the per-charge average consumption never converged to the same numbers (or even anywhere close to the same numbers.)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 16.23.27 .png
Interesting observation and puzzling. When you look at the individual consumption figures in kWh/100 km between Sept 5 and March 7, they are nowhere close to the average at all..

one question how have you managed to get intermittent readings at different mileage readings. I can only see a single figure for the total amount of kilometres travelled. And yet you have the total km’s travelled? I could understand if you reset the meter in the car totally, you would get each longer trip period recorded , but not the cars overal reading.??

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is my readings and they seem to match my individual readings between charges. Difficult to say that I can see a huge difference. I have never reset the totals in the car, only the automatic that happens when you charge and drive and stop.
Porsche Taycan My mathematical mind's intuition was right !  Our Taycan's consumption figures are way off ! 82D86791-6EBA-4356-94C2-EFCEE57229FD

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
would you please post a page of your latest distance after charge. I very much doubt you have an average of 21,1 kWh/100 km on a Turbo unless you only drive slowly or downhill. :oops: You probably will find consumptions between 23 and 27 kWh/100 km on your trips after each charge, and no way that amounts to 21,1 kWh/100 km average...

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Look at the distance depuis la charge...
Porsche Taycan My mathematical mind's intuition was right !  Our Taycan's consumption figures are way off ! Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 13.01.50
Sponsored