Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
TLDR – the Turbo is even more awesome that the 4S

Back in July 2021 I test drove and ordered a 4S. In November I heard that the wait had grown to >1 year for a 4S and about 1 year for a Turbo. Thinking that this would keep residuals high, I ordered a Turbo before the 4S had come. I collected the 4S in January 2022. The Turbo locked down in July 2022 and I collected it 3 weeks ago. On collection, the SE told me that it was a big upgrade.

I traded in the 4S and drove out in the Turbo. Very similar cars in spec – I had £15k extras on the 4S but only £5k on the Turbo as £10k of the extras were standard on the Turbo (bigger battery, Turbo Aero wheels, sport chrono, Matrix lights, 18 way seats, auto dimming mirrors, Bose, metallic paint).

So what is the difference? Exterior is similar but with some painted bits at the front, rear and on the sides. Inside there is leather on the dashboard and doors and Race Tex on the upper pillars and roof. There are heated seats in the back. Otherwise there isn’t much difference to see. I got privacy glass on the Turbo, but that is the only additional extra that I added. It is nice, but would cost about £4400 to add the leather and Race Tex to the 4S. Once I am in the car I don’t really notice it and if it wasn’t standard I wouldn’t bother with it. I had no complaints with the standard 4S interior.

But the real difference comes in the way it drives. The extra power might not seem much, given how fast the 4S goes, but it is quite impressive. The G-meter goes up to about 0.8 on the 4S. I haven’t launched the Turbo yet, but flooring it from about 20mph it goes up to 1g. It really flies. However the most noticeable thing is that in the 4S it sometimes kicks down to the lower gear for more power or you anticipate that and put it in sport mode – but with the Turbo there is no need for this. The power is there in the higher gear for most situations. And if it does kick down, you really know about it. So much so that I can’t help thinking that Porsche would have been better putting the larger motor in the 4S and doing away with the gear box that switches the ratios.

Obviously I can’t comment on the difference between some of the standard features of the Turbo vs the basic 4S features where I had specced something different (like the standard stereo).

Many of you will wonder about trade in values and I actually got the best deal trading in with the dealer (the opposite of when I sold my Macan). Depreciation was just under 5% for 10 months and would have been less if I had been able to do a sale or return with the dealer or if Liz Truss hadn’t sunk the economy a few weeks before. However I do feel that the dealers have us over a barrel with a newish car like that – let’s face it, would you buy it from a private seller, even with a warranty? I think they managed to get 5% over list for it.

So in summary there are quite a lot of extras but the real show stopper is the extra power. The 4S is a fantastic car and I had no real reason to change it but if you are unsure which to get, the extra power of the Turbo and other standard features are fantastic and you will enjoy them. Are they worth it? Well that is an individual decision but I have no regrets.

And finally, a bit of man maths... I am told there will be more depreciation on the Turbo, however because more of the spec is standard and less is added, it might not be too much more. And if I had kept the 4S its low depreciation would have caught up with it next year or the year after and I would be 1 year closer to a service. So it will hopefully turn out to be a cost-neutral decision in the long run. Too bad if it isn’t – but it really is fun to drive!
Sponsored

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Happy miles in the new Turbo.
What would you get, a highly spec 4S or lower spec Turbo?
What's the range difference between them?

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don’t know about range difference yet. Not been on a long run and it hasn’t quite settled down yet.
As a bonus though comfort access seems to be activated although I didn’t spec it.
I suppose it depends how highly you spec the 4S over the Turbo but the Turbo has most things you would want. Well most things I want. I would probably take the Turbo although both are fantastic

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Great to hear from an owner of both
Don’t know about range difference yet. Not been on a long run and it hasn’t quite settled down yet.
As a bonus though comfort access seems to be activated although I didn’t spec it.
I suppose it depends how highly you spec the 4S over the Turbo but the Turbo has most things you would want. Well most things I want. I would probably take the Turbo although both are fantastic
I went for the Turbo for the same reason. By the time I’d configured a 4S, everything I’d added was on the Turbo. Then I test drove one as they didn’t have a 4S and that was it. Sold!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Sounds awesome. 👍
Congratulations! 🎉

I would love to trade up to a turbo. Maybe next go around…

Don’t worry about depreciation. Enjoy the car!

Reactions: B61

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
"However the most noticeable thing is that in the 4S it sometimes kicks down to the lower gear for more power or you anticipate that and put it in sport mode – but with the Turbo there is no need for this. The power is there in the higher gear for most situations."

Ohhh..... The stupid transmission interrupting smooth acceleration on day-to-day quick acceleration to get over a traffic light etc. is probably my least favorite aspect of the Taycan 4S.

If this is gone with the Turbo/Turbo S, I'm sold.

I'm going to see if I can get a test drive scheduled next weekend.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
429hp vs 616hp. Not quite 50% more power.

the transmission will still kick down, but it’s unusual since you just don’t need more power very often. I also use the chrono sport dial on the steering wheel to change modes regularly if I anticipate wanting a little more vigor ….

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The extra power might not seem much, given how fast the 4S goes, but it is quite impressive.
Obviously I can’t comment on the difference between some of the standard features of the Turbo vs the basic 4S features where I had specced something different (like the standard stereo).
If you didn't have PTV+ optioned on the 4S, that'll be another factor contributing to your feeling of enhanced performance. I didn't bother with it on my provisional 4S configuration, but was shocked to discover how the Turbo can squirt out of corners, undulating surfaces or other compromised-grip situations.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"However the most noticeable thing is that in the 4S it sometimes kicks down to the lower gear for more power or you anticipate that and put it in sport mode – but with the Turbo there is no need for this. The power is there in the higher gear for most situations."

Ohhh..... The stupid transmission interrupting smooth acceleration on day-to-day quick acceleration to get over a traffic light etc. is probably my least favorite aspect of the Taycan 4S.

If this is gone with the Turbo/Turbo S, I'm sold.

I'm going to see if I can get a test drive scheduled next weekend.
Oops. The forum just cost someone a load of money!

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you didn't have PTV+ optioned on the 4S, that'll be another factor contributing to your feeling of enhanced performance. I didn't bother with it on my provisional 4S configuration, but was shocked to discover how the Turbo can squirt out of corners, undulating surfaces or other compromised-grip situations.
I haven't really pushed it out of corners as the roads are so wet at the moment. Will need to wait until it dries out a bit - maybe next year at this rate.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag

Back in July 2021 I test drove and ordered a 4S. In November I heard that the wait had grown to >1 year for a 4S and about 1 year for a Turbo. Thinking that this would keep residuals high, I ordered a Turbo before the 4S had come. I collected the 4S in January 2022. The Turbo locked down in July 2022 and I collected it 3 weeks ago. On collection, the SE told me that it was a big upgrade.

I traded in the 4S and drove out in the Turbo. Very similar cars in spec – I had £15k extras on the 4S but only £5k on the Turbo as £10k of the extras were standard on the Turbo (bigger battery, Turbo Aero wheels, sport chrono, Matrix lights, 18 way seats, auto dimming mirrors, Bose, metallic paint).

So what is the difference? Exterior is similar but with some painted bits at the front, rear and on the sides. Inside there is leather on the dashboard and doors and Race Tex on the upper pillars and roof. There are heated seats in the back. Otherwise there isn’t much difference to see. I got privacy glass on the Turbo, but that is the only additional extra that I added. It is nice, but would cost about £4400 to add the leather and Race Tex to the 4S. Once I am in the car I don’t really notice it and if it wasn’t standard I wouldn’t bother with it. I had no complaints with the standard 4S interior.

But the real difference comes in the way it drives. The extra power might not seem much, given how fast the 4S goes, but it is quite impressive. The G-meter goes up to about 0.8 on the 4S. I haven’t launched the Turbo yet, but flooring it from about 20mph it goes up to 1g. It really flies. However the most noticeable thing is that in the 4S it sometimes kicks down to the lower gear for more power or you anticipate that and put it in sport mode – but with the Turbo there is no need for this. The power is there in the higher gear for most situations. And if it does kick down, you really know about it. So much so that I can’t help thinking that Porsche would have been better putting the larger motor in the 4S and doing away with the gear box that switches the ratios.

Many of you will wonder about trade in values and I actually got the best deal trading in with the dealer (the opposite of when I sold my Macan). Depreciation was just under 5% for 10 months and would have been less if I had been able to do a sale or return with the dealer or if Liz Truss hadn’t sunk the economy a few weeks before. However I do feel that the dealers have us over a barrel with a newish car like that – let’s face it, would you buy it from a private seller, even with a warranty? I think they managed to get 5% over list for it.

So in summary there are quite a lot of extras but the real show stopper is the extra power. The 4S is a fantastic car and I had no real reason to change it but if you are unsure which to get, the extra power of the Turbo and other standard features are fantastic and you will enjoy them. Are they worth it? Well that is an individual decision but I have no regrets.

And finally, a bit of man maths... I am told there will be more depreciation on the Turbo, however because more of the spec is standard and less is added, it might not be too much more. And if I had kept the 4S its low depreciation would have caught up with it next year or the year after and I would be 1 year closer to a service. So it will hopefully turn out to be a cost-neutral decision in the long run. Too bad if it isn’t – but it really is fun to drive!
Thanks for the great write up. Gives me succour. Just got to maintain the wait…😅

Buzz

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag

I specced up a 4S and then a Turbo and was surprised by how much of what I wanted came as standard on the Turbo that I eventually opted for the Turbo. I am hopeful that the higher base price will see me good come resale as the options list is not as long as on the 4S. It is an awesome car and I have no regrets - powering around corners and roundabouts is just to die for - complete control

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Interesting.
My spec on the turbo was £25k more but even though it has a lot more base power (the launch control power is of zero interest to me) after driving the 4S I was impressed enough not to want more, however since the chassis stuff is important to me I did spec torque vectoring, rear axle steer and active roll bars.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have actually downgraded from a Turbo S to a Turbo for my next Taycan. Why?

1. Apart from a 2.5 sec boost in hp in launch mode there is no difference in power in day to day mode.
2. I did not have PDCC on the Turbo S. I do track stuff so I now want it.

The downside is that they will not allow me to have ceramic brakes on the Turbo due to shortages. I very much hope I don't notice the difference on the race circuit as they are truly amazing. I just think of all of those Turbo S drivers who barely use the brakes on public roads - such a waste.
Sponsored