Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hi Torv. My setup is wired so that the house basically has 3 power sources; the grid, solar and the Powerwalls. The only time I get power from the grid is if the solar array and Powerwalls are providing insufficient electricity to meet household demand which, since I had the Powerwalls installed, has yet to happen, even at night. At all other times, solar and the battery backup provide electricity and if the batteries are at 100% and there is excess power being produced by solar it gets fed back to the grid for a credit.

To answer your question, yes, I can charge the car from solar and the batteries even if PG&E is offline. Typically, I charge during the day when solar production is high and I try not to let the car batteries (so far just on the e-tron) to get too discharged or if they do to recharge incrementally so I still have reserve in the batteries for the random power outages that we get out here. I'm trying hard to be 100% solar powered and so far it's working out.
PG&E being offline is no longer hypothetical. Congratulations with your resilient setup.
Sponsored