Burak

First Name
Burak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That's not true. The Mission E wheels are less efficient than the flatter wheels, the "discs". The 4S wheels are more efficient also. I spoke with product manager in Atlanta and he told me this. So, I am curious how your range may or may not be affected.
Are you saying 21 mission e and 21 hre will be different ? I think tire sizes will change the consumption more than the wheels
Sponsored

galaxyclass

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla M3LR, RAM 1500 2019, MB SLK 200
Country flag
There is a lot of nice scientfic research available, investigating design, size, weight and other wheel parameters. I had been going deeply into the subject 5 years ago before buying the HRE 21 P101 wheels for my model S (meanwhile sold incl. the HRE wheels).
Simplified version goes like this:
- closed wheels are more efficient than open (that‘s the reason for aero wheels with questionable design)
- big size is less efficient than small (because of higher rotational energy)
- partially big size can be compensated by less weight (favours forged wheels), but not all.

Some use cases
- Standard wheels: the 19“ are 10–20% more efficient than 21“
- weight is important at equal sizes, can be a 5-10% effect
- closed wheels (airblades etc) are approx. 5-10% more efficient than open designs.

My own findings based on replacing 19“ Tesla standard wheels with HRE 21“.
- HRE 21 inch forged are leightweight, saved 40% compared mass compared to a Tesla turbine wheel, also much lighter than most of the Porsche wheels
- HRE 21 inch play in the same league as the Mission E. Mission E is a very open design, but effect in one or the other direction should be small.
- HRE 21 inch were around 5% less efficient than Tesla 19 inch standard wheel.

So...it all depends. Positive: There are other factors such as look or handling. They simply look great. Negative: comfort is clearly less. You cannot avoid scratches. And the price :eek:...

OP
OP

Burak

First Name
Burak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks, it looks great. Is there a bit of blue in it or is it pure grey/silver metallic?
It’s definitely bluish. Very similar to bmw silverstone color

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you saying 21 mission e and 21 hre will be different ? I think tire sizes will change the consumption more than the wheels
It was explained to me its all about drag. The Mission E wheel (I have them) are the least efficient wheel on the Taycan. The "blades" are about 5-10% more efficient.

OP
OP

Burak

First Name
Burak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It was explained to me its all about drag. The Mission E wheel (I have them) are the least efficient wheel on the Taycan. The "blades" are about 5-10% more efficient.
It makes sense. What i was saying is that your wheels and mine will probably have the same efficiency, both use the same tires, same diameter, open spokes and similar weight.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It makes sense. What i was saying is that your wheels and mine will probably have the same efficiency, both use the same tires, same diameter, open spokes and similar weight.
Perhaps. Do you have adequate miles on the car and know what your real world driving range is ? How many KW per 100 miles ? If you know that, now compare after you've added the new wheels.
Sponsored