First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Apropos Range

This estimation is reachable after run-of-the-mill driving around town in Normal mode, cruising a bit on the autobahn. Hints: 400km = 248.5 miles, and the estimation was done in range mode, even though the driving beforehand was done in normal. Setting to normal mode for the estimation yielded 388km, setting to sport yielded 378km. If you drive in range mode and are more careful, there will be 400+ km. I am optimistic that some experienced hypermiler will see 450+ eventually.

Cheers,
Henrik

Porsche Taycan My Taycan 4S delivered in Germany T4S_99p_400km_RangeMode
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Nice to see another report about driving in real life. The values that you have achieved here are very encouraging for using the Taycan on long touring trips. And the same goes for @louv! Fantastic to see the car being used as I believe it was designed to be used for.

I have two reflections.

1. It seems the Taycan is much more efficient than other EV’s in driving in colder temperatures. They do not seem to loose as much range when the temperature drops. Maybe this is due to having a heat pump??

2. Taycan also seems to be suited for driving at higher average speeds compared to say Tesla. Probably due to the gearbox and the efficiency that brings. Maybe most valuable to those who live in Germany with the free Autobahn speeds.

Has the 4S EPA range been published as yet?

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Apropos Range

This estimation is reachable after run-of-the-mill driving around town in Normal mode, cruising a bit on the autobahn. Hints: 400km = 248.5 miles, and the estimation was done in range mode, even though the driving beforehand was done in normal. Setting to normal mode for the estimation yielded 388km, setting to sport yielded 378km. If you drive in range mode and are more careful, there will be 400+ km. I am optimistic that some experienced hypermiler will see 450+ eventually.

Cheers,
Henrik

T4S_99p_400km_RangeMode.jpg
Honestly, your mileage is a bit disappointing, if I'm reading it correctly. I went for the 4s with the larger battery because it was supposed to have the best mileage. What you seem to be getting is at/near the turbo results real life drivers have reported. Maybe I'm doing my calculations incorrectly (there's a reason my career doesn't use math).

OP
OP
HK111

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello Scandinavian,

the heat pump is a good candidate to explain better operations in cold temperatures. Together with the extra battery, it was the most urgent recommendation I got from Porsche during the configuration phase.

The suitabilty of driving at higher average speeds seems also to be there.

4S EPA range: I don't know if it has been published, but also don't care much, hehe... The reality of the car so far seems good enough.

Cheers,
Henrik

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Henrik,

Thank you a lot for your very great review !
Is it possible to post more pictures of your standard interior ?
Especially the difference between leather and the "plastic" ?
What is your personal thoughts on this interior ?

OP
OP
HK111

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Honestly, your mileage is a bit disappointing, if I'm reading it correctly.
I don't think so. Having 400km indicated range after driving the car around town and the autobahn in "don't care"-mode, just a bit above freezing, some rain etc is decent, I think.

Plus, if you take the other numbers: 19.8 kWh/100km when driving granny style translate to 83.7/19.8*100km = 423km or 263 miles at nominal usable battery capacity. Not so bad, except that the car is way too much fun to go slow.

Cheers,
Henrik

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
the heat pump is a good candidate to explain better operations in cold temperatures. Together with the extra battery, it was the most urgent recommendation I got from Porsche

4S EPA range: I don't know if it has been published, but also don't care much, hehe... The reality of the car so far seems good enough.

Cheers,
Henrik
Hi Henrik,

Thank you for your reviews and details about your experience with your new Taycan. Your Gentian Blue looks very nice, I did not like that before but am coming around now. Will be nice to hear more about your experience later on and perhaps also when it gets to Spring time with better weather.

I fully agree with you that it does not matter what EPA range is since it is a simulated range in best case. Seems they are applying so many factors to it that it does not reflect real life driving. Achieving something close to 400 km in real life driving is excellent. That coupled with Rapid Charging ( if they work) is very similar to having an ICE car! I guess you are lucky that you have so many Ionity stations in Germany now.

I must admit I was very disappointed about the EPA range when it was published, but reading about real experiences have changed that.

Please keep up the reviews both good and less good!

OP
OP
HK111

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That coupled with Rapid Charging ( if they work) is very similar to having an ICE car!
The "if they work" is the key point, IMHO. Rollep from Stavanger made the great comment "Problems like mentioned above is the reason a lot of EV owners here in Norway have renamed "range anxiety" with "charging anxiety". The problem is no longer range but the fact that you can absolutely not count on getting a charge when you arrive at the stations."

We have four hyperchargers rated at 170kW on the very ground of our office buildings. Two of them seem to have defect CCS connectors. One of them works, but sometimes delivers 25kW, sometimes 40kW. Some dude got 80-odd kW. The half-baked charging infrastructure is the problem, as far as I can tell. But my optimistic assumption is that things will get better.

Cheers,
Henrik

OP
OP
HK111

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello Ben,

Is it possible to post more pictures of your standard interior ?
Especially the difference between leather and the "plastic" ?
What is your personal thoughts on this interior ?
Some good interior shots (not from me) are also in the Carrara White thread here.

My thoughts are that the standard interior has a tiny little bit of a "plastic feel", but is still pretty nice. Also, from the driver's position, what I see and enjoy the most are the steering wheel (great!) and the curved cockpit display (incredibly cool and classy, whoever thought of this deserves a design price!) .

My assumption is that the impression made by real leather would be quite noticeable and probably worth it for the connoisseur.

However, I have four kids, so car seats are being used and abused, sometimes covered by children's seats and so on.

HTH,
H

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

Thank you a lot for these informations !
what I see and enjoy the most are the steering wheel (great!)
Which steering wheel do you have ? The standard one or the Sport Chrono Package Steering Wheel ?

Some good interior shots (not from me) are also in the Carrara White thread here.
yeah ! Unfortunately, it's a Turbo S and not a Taycan 4S. The standard dashboard is not exactly the same.
(the 4S has a Partial Leather Interior and the Turbo S has a Leather Interior)

Which interior do you have ?

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't think so. Having 400km indicated range after driving the car around town and the autobahn in "don't care"-mode, just a bit above freezing, some rain etc is decent, I think.

Plus, if you take the other numbers: 19.8 kWh/100km when driving granny style translate to 83.7/19.8*100km = 423km or 263 miles at nominal usable battery capacity. Not so bad, except that the car is way too much fun to go slow.

Cheers,
Henrik
Thanks, Henrik. However, I have to be honest I'd be a bit disappointed at 263 miles given a number of the professional reviewers claim to get this mileage with the turbo and turbo s. I'm buying the 4s because it was supposed to have the better mileage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks, Henrik. However, I have to be honest I'd be a bit disappointed at 263 miles given a number of the professional reviewers claim to get this mileage with the turbo and turbo s. I'm buying the 4s because it was supposed to have the better mileage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
@TC Fan you probably want to double check the weather temperature that the other reviewers were driving in. Henrik drove at near freezing, which usually means about 30% less battery power when compared to driving in something like 70F / 20C. So realistically, when Taycan is driven in warmer climate, it should easily get 280 miles, even if we just assume a 10% increase.

OP
OP
HK111

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello there,

I'd be a bit disappointed at 263 miles given a number of the professional reviewers claim to get this mileage with the turbo and turbo s. I'm buying the 4s because it was supposed to have the better mileage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
I am certain the 4s has better range than the Turbo/S and you made the right assumptions and the right decision. But regarding the data: I am a physics / computer science guy, so reporting data correctly is "sacred" for me. I could only relay to you in this forum what has really happened or at least was supposedly measured, and those are the consumption data of 19.8 to 47 kWh/100km, the range computer's prediction of 400km in range mode, and so on. On top of the core data, there come the circumstances: Temperature, rain, use of AC, driving behaviour. The key insight from my point of view is that while just driving regularly, with a bit of emphasis on fun and speed, delivering children to the kindergarten, but also driving on the Autobahn, you get these kind of real world data.

Of course I would like to see 500km of range. Porsche originally mumbled about that range when we were still talking about the Mission E. That was probably when they hadn't had to do the harsh compromise of building the "foot garage" into the battery. If you look at their size, the battery modules which had to be taken out are roughly what would have been necessary to reach 500km WLTP.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS1: I assume that in "United States mode", i.e. driving 55-75 miles per hour on a freeway, range will be higher than here.
PS2: to another poster: The steering wheel is the regular wheel.

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
Hello there,

I am certain the 4s has better range than the Turbo/S and you made the right assumptions and the right decision. But regarding the data: I am a physics / computer science guy, so reporting data correctly is "sacred" for me. I could only relay to you in this forum what has really happened or at least was supposedly measured, and those are the consumption data of 19.8 to 47 kWh/100km, the range computer's prediction of 400km in range mode, and so on. On top of the core data, there come the circumstances: Temperature, rain, use of AC, driving behaviour. The key insight from my point of view is that while just driving regularly, with a bit of emphasis on fun and speed, delivering children to the kindergarten, but also driving on the Autobahn, you get these kind of real world data.

Of course I would like to see 500km of range. Porsche originally mumbled about that range when we were still talking about the Mission E. That was probably when they hadn't had to do the harsh compromise of building the "foot garage" into the battery. If you look at their size, the battery modules which had to be taken out are roughly what would have been necessary to reach 500km WLTP.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS1: I assume that in "United States mode", i.e. driving 55-75 miles per hour on a freeway, range will be higher than here.
PS2: to another poster: The steering wheel is the regular wheel.
If you are used to Tesla indicating milage, Teslas report a lot more range than actually available. My TM3P reports 480km range when 100%, that transmits to about 350km of range with my driving. I suspect the Porsche to report more correctly to what is actually available. The Taycan Turbo S was tested with the TMS P100 and had about the same highway milage as the TMS P100 that is indicating 600km range when full.

HD007

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4GTS, Macan Turbo, MB 350 SL, Toyota Landcruiser Pick-up
Country flag
Taycan 4 S Volcano Grey commandé 10/2019. J'ai reçu cette semaine le n ° de châssis et la procédure Porsche ID :).
La livraison est pour bientôt j'espère!
Sponsored