First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Nightflying T4S

Here some numbers from yesterday night. Runs were typically done from 0km/h up to speed for some minutes and then back to 0km/h. Outside air temperature was a bit above freezing. The car had to have the lights on :) and the climate setting was at "Eco".
  1. Range Run. In range mode and with a hesitant, very constant driving style, it is possible to push the power consumption down to below 20kWh per 100km. This was a run where I drove from a residential area to the autobahn, there cruising at about 111km/h, then stopping. Total distance was 22.9km, average speed 70km/h, consumption was 19.8 kWh/100km. This corresponds to 31.86 kWh/100 miles or about 318 Watthours per mile or about 3.14 miles/kWh.
  2. Aggro Speed Run. In sports mode and with a "go fast, brake, go faster" driving style (the Autobahn has 3 lanes and was nearly empty at midnight), power consumption easily goes up close to 50 kWh/100km. This was a run from an Autobahn entry to an Autobahn exit, in both times safely parked. Average speed was 149km/h, top speed 200+, distance 10.2 km, consumption 47.2 kWh/100 miles. This corresponds to 75.96 kWh/100 miles or about 756 Watthours per mile or about 1.32 miles/kWh.
  3. Fast Cruising Run. This is like the aggro speed run, with the speed, but without the aggro part. The idea is to drive fast, e.g. something like 170 +/- 15 km/h, but with very little variation and little braking. This was measured from standstill, but not to standstill, but while still driving 85km/h. The total distance was 7.7 km, average speed was 148km/h, consumption was 35.1 kWh. This corresponds to 56.5 kWh/100 miles or about 565 Watthours per mile or about 1.77 miles/kWh.
My takeaway: It is quite possible to drive long range, i.e. 400km+. It is just not what the car was made for :cool:! Autobahn driving will probably be mostly fast or medium fast cruising.

Cheers,
Henrik

T4S_Sub20kWh_InRangeMode.jpg

T4S_47kWh_Aggrospeedmode.jpg

T4S_35kWh_Fastcruisemode.jpg
Great feedback and data thank you!

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Dear HK111,

thank you for providing very useful Range/speed info :)

I would find it extremely informative, if you could test out the consumption when cruising 110 km/h, 120 km/h, 130 km/h and 140 km/h - to show how much it “costs” to increase cruising speed,

I Thank you in advance for sharing.

Best regards,

John

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Great info on range - thank you for sharing! Can you post some pictures of your interior at night? I cannot find the Taycan night pictures other than the ones from the brochure.

Also a question: Does the car stay in the selected driving mode when you switch it off? My Merc keeps going back to default Comfort setting regardless of previous selection. My Tesla stays in Sport, and this is what I will most likely keep on for the Taycan. Does it "stick" or will I need to select it each time I drive the Taycan?

Last edited:
Reactions: Reg
OP
OP
HK111

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,
if you could test out the consumption when cruising 110 km/h, 120 km/h, 130 km/h and 140 km/h - to show how much it “costs” to increase cruising speed,
I am curious myself, but I have a company to run, plus Corona is round the corner in Italy, so right now there is more work than play to do.

Sorry and cheers,
Henrik

GDHazy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hi HK111, do you have the partial leather interior? If so do you have any pics as I am still undecided as whether I should go full leather or not,

nihas7

First Name
nihas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, RR velar
Country flag
Hi HK111, do you have the partial leather interior? If so do you have any pics as I am still undecided as whether I should go full leather or not,
I have taken some pictures of partial leather while I was at the store. It looks decent If you don’t compare them with full leather. But Ofcourse it is missing that Elagant finish esp on console and doors.

Attachments

GDHazy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Did you have any of the seats at all?

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello there,

I am certain the 4s has better range than the Turbo/S and you made the right assumptions and the right decision. But regarding the data: I am a physics / computer science guy, so reporting data correctly is "sacred" for me. I could only relay to you in this forum what has really happened or at least was supposedly measured, and those are the consumption data of 19.8 to 47 kWh/100km, the range computer's prediction of 400km in range mode, and so on. On top of the core data, there come the circumstances: Temperature, rain, use of AC, driving behaviour. The key insight from my point of view is that while just driving regularly, with a bit of emphasis on fun and speed, delivering children to the kindergarten, but also driving on the Autobahn, you get these kind of real world data.

Of course I would like to see 500km of range. Porsche originally mumbled about that range when we were still talking about the Mission E. That was probably when they hadn't had to do the harsh compromise of building the "foot garage" into the battery. If you look at their size, the battery modules which had to be taken out are roughly what would have been necessary to reach 500km WLTP.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS1: I assume that in "United States mode", i.e. driving 55-75 miles per hour on a freeway, range will be higher than here.
PS2: to another poster: The steering wheel is the regular wheel.
Thanks very much.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
Further to the original thread re factory delivery, mention has been made of factory delivery as an option for customers in Europe; factory delivery is not an available option for customers in the US and Canada. Rationale given was differences in plugs on vehicles, and parallel issues with charging stations, in US and Europe. There now appear to be adapters available; so, that rationale doesn’t seem to be supportable any longer.

My Taycan 4S build freezes March 31, delivery July 3. Does anyone have a sense of whether/when factory pickup will become an option available to US customers?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

Riksche

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Boxster GTS
Country flag
Thanks so much for your post and all of the information! My 4S is currently on the water, due in port on Tuesday the 17th. Still hoping for scheduled April 3rd delivery!

OP
OP
HK111

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

some small observations:
  • The T is still the best option to buy Strawberries from the farmer in a pandemic
  • The 420km is a range indicated after two weeks of "don't care"-driving, including multiple launches.
Cheers,
Henrik

Porsche Taycan My Taycan 4S delivered in Germany T4S_FastStrawberryDeliveryDuringPandemia

Porsche Taycan My Taycan 4S delivered in Germany T4S_NormalState