JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm posting this crazy experience of issues as it may help someone down the road..... 🤬
This was all post update to ANA6 - had it when I bought my car initially from dealer.

Summary findings:
1. The flash to new car after taking ownership, flashed my PCM and broke my hotspot.
2. This also broke apple car play app, podcast, Spotify with error code 3011. (Can't retrieve QR code)
3. Ticket to Porsche NA was required to fix it and needed to be resolved - this can take 2-4 weeks and requires screen shots. Key here is they have to fix the backend config with Verizon and your hotspot.
4. Subscribing to the hotspot may work but in my case it failed but probably pushed the viz that there was a hotspot config and it was costing them $20 a month to incentivize my ticket.
5. I had issues in this scenario where the connection to WIFI (no internet) to launch and use CarPlay would result in no music via CarPlay. To fix this, I had to go to Porsche Connect Service and INACTIVATE the hotspot. This would allow connection and use of mobile data and work allow CarPlay to work without issue. As activated, CarPlay seemed to want to use the hotspot but couldn't get to the internet. To check the hotspot data periodically, I'd have to go in activate, test, then inactivate it again.
6. If you get the 800 number to call Verizon when connecting to the hotspot.... DO NOT DO IT!! Verizon is evil and they're completely clueless, unhelpful, and just make things worse!
7. Hotspot fixed - everything else fixed and car is 100%. Hope any of these datapoints or findings may hep someone if they have similar issues.

....I'm pretty tech savvy and not my first rodeo running complex computer systems to ground. This particular issue was anything but straightforward. I can't imagine how this could be for someone that didn't have some grasp of what was going on along the way. I just can't imagine if my wife was dealing with this or my parents - they'd have given up way before this was ever fixed for them.

____________Supplmental sequence - may help someone later -------------
Here's the sequence of events (much longer story that may or may not help others (sorry kinda long b/c it was a 2 month odyssey)):
1. I purchased a 2021 Taycan Turbo S, 2k miles from a dealership, certified preowned. Everything is perfect. Picked up on a Friday and was rushed as while doing walkthrough my mother-in-law called and our youngest was running 104 fever. We wrapped and bolted home. I didn't setup the profile and my app wasn't working at that point as I had to transfer the ownership over and that meant sending in proof of ownership to Porsche and get it transferred. No biggie.

2. Saturday, I setup my profile as I was rushed the day prior - no biggie and everything is working and it's awesome. Later in the day, I realize I'm actually a secondary owner profile and some "Kenneth" is my primary owner. Odd but okay - it's in to Porsche to be updated.

3. Monday - they moved ownership over to me, cancelled Kenneth and I'm now a primary owner and it's on my app. Yay - still all good.

4. Wednesday - I go to leave for work, no audio. I think that's odd and I'm trying to get it to play (from my favorites - Sirius XM) but no dice. A mile or so down the road, I pull into parking lot and click to Sirius xm. I realize I have this pop up that says something like "Congrats on your new car, click here to start your trial" - soon as I clicked that banner in the actual Sirius XM, Audio comes on and boom, back in business. Apparently that pop up blocked it; however, here is where it goes sideways. I noticed my Apple Music, Apple Podcast, and Spotify apps are all grayed out. I need to re-register them despite working before. I click on it and bam, "Error 3011: Cannot retrieve QR code" - all 3 of the apps. WTF. Okay - try it again later.

5. Thurs/Friday: Nothing is fixing it and I call Porsche NA. Turns out they open a ticket. I do research. Realize that these apps are tied to Hot Spot. I try the LTE hotspot that was working before and I can't get onto the internet. it's blocked or not connecting. Well, that probably explains the inability to retrieve a QR code. Game on. Update Porsche NA with the new info.

6. Over that weekend, on a whim, I decide, I'm gonna sign up for the Hot Spot. Thought here is maybe the refresh to a new owner in my PCM with Sirius xm resulted in a loss of subscription for hotspot and I need to get the internet firewall open to get the QR code. I sign up. Says it can take up to 20 min to activate. The prompts in the app that they're working to activate showed red flags and activation is stalled for 10-12 days. Updating Porsche NA along the way.

7. I get an email that says my trail period for the hotspot is over emailed to me. I'm guessing tech updated my ticket and fixed or attempted fix. Go try to connect to he hotspot on the car, and I get a new white page from Verizon that has a red button and says click her to connect. I do that and it prompts a second page with a Failed to activate, call this 1800 number to resolve. I call Porsche NA and they update the ticket. I ask should I call this 800 number or just work it thru you. You can try it and maybe they can fix it on their end. oooookay.

8. I spend probably 5-7 hours on the phone with Verizon. Their CS is HORRIBLE. Their teams can't transfer a call and transfers hang up on you 1 out of 3 times resulting in you having to draw another agent by calling back in and trying to explain your way back to the place where you got disconnected. No one knows about Porsche connect or mobile hotspots. They tell me that my IMEI somehow was deleted in the flash and proceed to try to fix it. They bill me 2x for 22.80 trying to fix it and I have to wait for them to update their systems at midnight but I should be fixed.

9. No dice. not fixed. However, that white screen that has the red button to click here to connect. That now flashes to a new screen - progress? It says this device is already activated. The only prompt on my phone form here is to click cancel to back out and it prompts use without internet? No way around this screen and its like a dead end. You can connect but "device already activated". WTF!!! Update Porsche along the way - tickets still in. Verizon calling and working with Porsche. Tech in Germany needs to research it. ...weeks are going by with updates periodically.

10. Finally I call for an update and they have a recommendation for me to get with my dealer (no phone call and I had to call Porsche NA). Guidance - call the dealer and Service. Tech in Germany says I need them to conduct a "Gateway Reset" and this should refresh and push thru the deleted/config issues between systems and fix it. Service guy hates this and wants more info and why this will help. He calls and goes back and forth with them. I find from him that Gateway Reset can be done but he's not convinced its gonna work, and indicates that in some cases they've seen major issues when doing this (ie bricking and issues afterwards but it's all we got for next steps). Appointment set for 2 weeks since its just a convenience thing and earliest I can get a Loaner.

....now Along the way, I was toggling the hotspot to "inactive" in Porsche services b/c when connecting to the WIFI for apple CarPlay, it would stall out on playing music via mobile streaming as it seemed to want to play as if my hotspot was working but it wasn't. Inactivate and it fixed the CarPlay interim and played over mobile. That said, I got tired of CarPlay and flipping back to Sirius XM repeatedly, so ultimately turned off CarPlay in the devices menu and started using the normal PCM and just bluetooth. I found I preferred this setup day to day.....

11. Weekend before my appointment, I get an email from Verizon. I was just charged $20 for a mobile hotspot. WTF! I cannot believe I was just charged again for this hotspot that hasn't worked for 6-8 weeks. I'm gonna kill them. CS is closed on Sundays and only 730 to 5pm so its workday hours to try to work with these clowns so awesome. I don't get to it until Wednesday. In the interim, I noticed that Porsche Connect Services shows that I am NOT subscribed to mobile hotspot anymore. They stopped this when they were working the tickets and what not, but then why the hell am I being charged from Verizon. Okay - that can't be good and may tie back to this "already activated" issue. I call Wednesday - takes 3-4 different agents to find the guy in Hotspot with Verizon to find my account and verify it, cancel the setup they have, and refund my money for never working.

12. Friday. I'm going to my service appointment and I get there 20 min before 8. I'm sitting at the door and decide to flip the hotspot back on to active (been 2 days since last attempt). Flip my services back on and connect. Internet is now working. What the hell?!? ...all of a sudden - Apple Music is good, podcast is good, Spotify pops the QR code. Are you kidding me?? Right before my appointment in in 10-20 min?!?! Ironic yet typical if it was gonna go my way ever, why not the last minute.
....car is now 100%. Zero issues.

My assumption is that in the process of my car directing me to call the 800 number and Porsche NA suggesting trying that, Verizon introduced a duplicate IMEI setup resulting in the "already activated message". To prep for the gateway reset and after being charged by Verizon, I was able to remove a variable to ensure the gateway reset would work but ultimately fixed the final piece in the puzzle to get it working. So my prep work, resolved/fixed it. I'm just happy its over and my car is 100% now. Yay!
Sponsored

Last edited:

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
ahh C’MON!! you made me read all that then don’t post a single pic of the said turbo S!

;)

glad it all eventually worked out!

OP
OP
JDNEPA

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because you asked.....
I'll get a few other pics but it's dark and it's plugged in. Ran out to take one but decided this one is better in the sunlight and will get a few better ones tomorrow.

Porsche Taycan My Taycan Turbo S - finally totally functional 68088341018__32A7DD53-92F6-4ACB-A862-273C081D2E9A

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
what a beauty! is that chalk or limestone interior?

OP
OP
JDNEPA

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks!!!! It's chalk. (chalk and black - 2 tone)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
ahh C’MON!! you made me read all that then don’t post a single pic of the said turbo S!

;)

glad it all eventually worked out!
Lesson learned I hope - scroll through the post before reading it. ;)

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
there is a lot in your story that doesn't apply to me, but I do get the error code on Spotify registration so if you have a quick fix for that, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I can access it via CarPlay but its a pain to activate when I'm driving and I hope for the day I can say "Hey Porsche, play Spotify"

OP
OP
JDNEPA

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@4thPcar - I’m assuming with Spotify, you get that error for Apple Music and podcasts too? If you want the organic apps to work, I’d you look on these services, they’re all tied to the hotspot LTE connection at least to be functional. I’m unsure if you need the subscription but I’ll find out in 20 days.

What I would do based on what I know now…..

1. In your car. Go to settings, Porsche connect services. Scroll to bottom to hotspot and see if hotspot is inactive, flip to active. Try to retrieve QR code.
2. If still failing. Call Porsche NA and send the screen shot of the error 3011. It’ll take 2-3 weeks and possibly a few calls to check on ticket resolution.
3. I have seen mixed input on the organic PCM apps needing LTE hotspot subscribed to work. It appears they do need the hotspot “functional” regardless of subscription status. I tried to subscribe and when it couldn’t activated focused Porsche there. They worked to fix that and the QR code issue resolved with it. It’s $20 a month and can cancel at any time so used this as proxy for the 3011 error.

I’m not clear if you need the subscription for hotspot for these apps and it expires in 20 days so I’ll find out. If you don’t care about the $20 to try, can try to pay a month and then call Porsche NA to turn it off. Wasn’t a huge hassle.

I’m finding I like the PCM and app experience better than carplay so have CarPlay off in devices but if you like or don’t care then maybe too much hassle to go there…..

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
@JDNEPA I got as far as your step #1 above. The hotspot is inactive and said I need a contract to activate it. This must refer to what you are paying $20 for, and I am not inclined to pay that for this benefit. But I will try step #2 to see if Porsche can help resolve the 3011 error code. Thanks and please keep us informed if you find you can get this working without the $20/mo expense.

johnarpy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I bought a new one on last Thursday. Everything is great on the Turbo S except I can't get Functions on Demand.
Sponsored