PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
I made the mistake of selling my daily, a TVR Griffith 4.3 big valve, in around 1996. I am keeping this one for now. I did consider a 911 at the time but the normal one felt slow (about 300kg heavier and a bit less power) and the turbo had hateful levels of lag making it useless as my daily.
A bit harsh, come on ;). on the 992 tts the transmission is so much smoother and the power delivery as well vs past. the sw around dynamic boost does a good job if you lift, fuel injectors are shut off but throttle is still partially open. It's not an EV but turbos are spooled up significantly faster than before. there's still some lag but I m not ashamed of it.

Clearly in normal mode in city traffic, pdk auto, 30 kmh , 992 is no match for Taycan.
If we carry on like this, next request will be one pedal driving...
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
A bit harsh, come on ;). on the 992 tts the transmission is so much smoother and the power delivery as well vs past. the sw around dynamic boost does a good job if you lift, fuel injectors are shut off but throttle is still partially open. It's not an EV but turbos are spooled up significantly faster than before. there's still some lag but I m not ashamed of it.

Clearly in normal mode in city traffic, pdk auto, 30 kmh , 992 is no match for Taycan.
If we carry on like this, next request will be one pedal driving...
The 911 that was current then was the 993. I am told the turbo technology is better now. It needed to be. It gets very complicated for it to work well from my racing experience but if you want good throttle response, essential in a sportscar IMO, the only way I have found convincing with a turbo motor is hybrid so the electric motor can fill in the holes.
Then it is heavier.

I know you are joking about 1 pedal driving but I see no progression in that direction ;)

JerryLNK

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22TAYCAN, 21MB C300, 23BMW X3
Country flag
We are (unfortunately) somewhat short on narrow alpine roads around here. Can I interest you in a long flat straight along a cornfield?
Totally relate this statement, @Jhenson29! I'm envious of our colleagues in Europe and near mountains as I am surrounded by straight roads and corn fields. Although, periodically head to the hills along Missouri River between Omaha and Kansas City.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It gets very complicated for it to work well from my racing experience but if you want good throttle response, essential in a sportscar IMO, the only way I have found convincing with a turbo motor is hybrid so the electric motor can fill in the holes.
992 refresh is rumored to introduce hybrid (within the next year)

But possibly only on PDK, so of little interest to me.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I was playing this video this morning and my wife walks over and asks “What’s that noise?”

“It’s a car.”

“Oh….I though you were watching a vacuum cleaner.”

🤣
The folks at Dyson must have thought they were on to something… until they weren’t.

Maybe synthetic sounds will be the future after all.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just want to comment about the door weight.

It's all relative and depends on perspective.

When I DDed my merc, I once entered a colleague's Renault Laguna and almost ripped out the passenger door because it felt like paper compared to my merc which I had very sturdy doors.

When I started to DD my Taycan and, after a couple of months, took the merc for a spin, I slammed the driver's door hard as it felt much much lighter than my Taycan doors.

I need to test the doors of the Taycan back to back with the Renault Laguna... After insuring myself 😂

BTW, It's obvious that a cabriolet has to have enforced doors since the structure isn't held by a roof like in normal cars. My Z3 had very heavy / sturdy doors to compensate the lack of the roof.

Cheers

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's all relative and depends on perspective.
Sure. 👍 My comment wasn’t intended as Taycan has lightest doors ever. Just noticeably lighter than my 911.

When I get my 911 back, I’m going to get some measurements on heights of things like seats, floorboard, steering wheel, and windshield across the 911, Taycan, and Macan and post for reference. I wish I still had my Elise to throw into the mix. That one felt super low.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The folks at Dyson must have thought they were on to something… until they weren’t.

Maybe synthetic sounds will be the future after all.
Maybe Dyson will become an aftermarket vendor for the Taycan.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Sure. 👍 My comment wasn’t intended as Taycan has lightest doors ever. Just noticeably lighter than my 911.

When I get my 911 back, I’m going to get some measurements on heights of things like seats, floorboard, steering wheel, and windshield across the 911, Taycan, and Macan and post for reference. I wish I still had my Elise to throw into the mix. That one felt super low.
I, too, wanted to comment on your observations re driving position; there were 60 years/8 generations of 911s, and while I haven’t sampled them all it seemed to me there were significant differences between the older ones and the new era (991+). I sat in a 718 Boxster and felt like I was in a hole, but the older 911s have a less “sunken” feeling. I read it’s because of the wheel diameter - at least 2 generations of 911 were introduced because consumers wanted bigger wheels, and with a transaxle design you kinda have to redesign the chassis to accommodate that.

I sat in a 992 GT3 once - it felt enormous inside, indeed it has the heaviest door of any coupe I ever experienced, and the relatively advanced positioning of the door handle (close to the hinge) exacerbates the issue.

The Taycan has a higher driving position than even my ‘03 911, both in absolute numbers and in feeling (relative height of dash vs eye level); but because of the higher floor level, the body position seems fairly close (90* angle upper to lower body, legs almost horizontal).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
BTW, It's obvious that a cabriolet has to have enforced doors since the structure isn't held by a roof like in normal cars. My Z3 had very heavy / sturdy doors to compensate the lack of the roof.
Actually the doors don't contribute much to the chassis stiffness because of the way they are attached. If they did the production tolerances needed would make the costs prohibitive. I was taught early in my career that if you want to get an idea of the structure of a chassis look at it with all doors removed.

OTOH doors can and are used to make a huge increase in lateral impact safety, that is why they are heavy.

Last edited:

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
touchscreen in the Taycan is a huge turn off for me.
Actually living with it, is it that much of a pain for the day to day?
Not in the slightest. Super easy. And you could always use voice control if you really need to adjust temperature while on the Autobahn at 200 km/h :)

adamuk73

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting. What's the ground clearance on the 911? Would you say the front axle lift is essential?

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. What's the ground clearance on the 911? Would you say the front axle lift is essential?
I don’t know how low and the car isn’t home (neither am I) to measure. There are some threads in the RL 992 forum that talk about it.

Here’s the info from the Porsche website.

911 GTS Cab
Porsche Taycan my Taycan vs my 911 IMG_8645
Taycan 4S
Porsche Taycan my Taycan vs my 911 IMG_8646

I don’t believe anything is essential.
I would generally recommend getting it (FAL), but I would understand if someone knew their use case and knew they didn’t need it.

Kind of like the 150kW 400VDC option on the Taycan. Maybe generally recommended, but there are also those who know they’ll never use it (me).

I do scrape the bottom of the 911 even when lifted. But I don’t mind minor scrapes on the bottom of the front lip (which is unpainted on the GTS). I imagine those minor scrapes would be much worse if not lifted, and that’s what I want to avoid.

I’ll also note that it’s different than the lift in the Taycan in a number of ways. First, it’s only the front vs the whole car in the Taycan. It’s also hydraulic vs the air for the Taycan. I’m not aware of any issues leaving the Taycan up while parked (I leave ours up in our garage all of the time) but you’re not supposed to leave the 911 parked up. And you can’t lower 911 FAL with the engine off, so sometimes I have to restart my engine just to lower the lift.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
An update: I drove the Taycan to work today, and I drove myself and two coworkers to lunch. After, we went for a short “test drive”. Part of that was accelerating flat out for a period of time.

And it was boring. So boring. The first second or two, yeah, okay, but after that…

There’s no sound…and it’s so smooth after the initial jerk….

The closest thing I could liken it to is riding in an elevator. 🛗

I think one of them asked at one point “Is it…is it still going?” 🤷‍♂️

However, a couple of weeks ago, I had done the exact same thing with one of them in the 911. We weren’t bored. Well, a little bored waiting for the oil to get up to temperature. But not after that.
Boring???

Perhaps you should move to a place with roads, which do have corners! :giggle:
Sponsored